Looking at options and opinions for a 4x4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Downs View Post
    Same thing as a Dodge Ramcharger. I had an 82 Ramcharger with a 318. We nicknamed it the gutless wonder haha.

It was a tank though.

Sent from my iPhone
    Yes but has removable hardtop like old k5 blazers. They will go anywhere, cheap plentiful parts. Just not quick.

Comment

The early Ramchargers had removable tops too IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone
      2004 Suzuki DL650
      1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

Here you go DJ...

Suzuki Samuri Rock Crawler - $3500 (Allen, TX)

Date: 2012-12-20, 3:25PM CST
        Reply to: see below
        Ok, here's the deal... I have had this thing at a fab place having a new steering box installed and shaft fabricated for it. Before I took it, it ran perfect. I had it professionally tuned, brand new Holly carb, brand new hi performance distributer and coil, all new plugs and wires. For some reason, it won't start now. There is nothing wrong with the motor!! It is strong! There is a loose wire or fuse somewhere that must be causing ignition problems....It has a new external fuel pump and it's running and as far asa i can tell, It is getting fuel to the carb.

I have now time or desire to mess with it and I need it out of my driveway.

I have reduced the price to practically give it away!! The shocks alone cost almost 4k!!

Come with cash and a trailer and take it.

The good :
        Suspension:
        Fabtec Coilover suspension
        30,000 Heim joints on all suspension links
        Drivetrain:
        1991 Carbureted Chevy 4.3L engine
        Turbo 350 transmission with B&M slap shifter
        Dana/Spicer 300 transfer case
        Holley 470 truck avenger carb
        Front axle - Dana 44 "waggy" with 488 gears, a Detroit True track locker and Warn locking hubs
        Rear axle- Ford 9in "big bearing" from 1968 Ford Bronco with full spool and 488 gears
        Upgrades (aka cool stuff)
        Power steering box from Chevy 2500 truck
        4 wheel disc brake conversion with rear brake calipers from a 78 K1500, rotors from a 2001 Dodge 1500 and weld on 14 bolt Chevy brackets (see photo)
        Steel braided brake lines
        1 ½ inch wheel spacers
        36x12.5 inch Super Swamper TSL/ SX tires (90%) mounted on 15x10 Atlas bead locks (5 ½ inch pattern)
        Custom 3inch snorkel (see photo) with K&N filter
        Alpine 4 speaker stereo with Memphis 12 inch sub.
        Aluminum radiator with dual electric cooling fans
        Purolator Electric fuel pump with Mr. Gasket fuel pressure regulator (wired to manual power switch)
        Removable flat tow hitch
        48 inch farm jack
        3000lb Chicago winch (never used) mounted in front
        Doors are rigged for quick detachment with key
        Full size spare tire mounted on top of Exo-cage
        Tons of extra off road lighting for those late nights in the mud
        New high torque starter
        On board air compressor
        External Five gallon fuel can mounted to rear of exo-cage
        CB radio
        Nifty bottle opener (see photo) and cup holders
        Removable hard top
        Safety:
        Five point harnesses for driver and passenger
        Two fire extinguishers
        Comes with front and rear stingers (not attached but can easily be welded to exo-cage, Had to remove them due to wife almost beheading herself on a daily basis and ears being sore from hearing about it ) rear stinger has winch mount.
        Comes with full recovery kit including : two 20ft tow straps, 4 shackles, snatch block , come-a-long

The Bad:
        Small transfluid leak ( Basket ball size puddle in one month) Leak is so small that it wasn't worth my time fixing it.
        Crack in center of windshield (barely noticeable)
        This vehicle has been built for function not show, due to this fact, it is not perfect and some parts may not be pretty, but it is a certified off road MONSTER , everything was built for extreme overkill and due to this fact I have yet to find an obstacle I could not pass.
        **Buyer responsible for pick up / delivery. Serious buyers only please

Please call Marc at 903-312-07 five four

Comment

That's cheap for all the mods.
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Have you considered an 89 or older 4Runner?

Comment

Land Rover Disco 1's and early 2's can be found pretty cheap. I loved mine. Easy to fix, cheap parts (if you know where to get them) and very off road capable with a small spring lift.

Comment

Im looking at a 2002 land rover discovey with 115k miles and blown headgaskets....$2500. Im trying to talk myself out of it knowing its going to cost me a lot of time pulling the motor and rebuilding it but.....

Comment

I'd rather have a disco 1 with a full diff lock. You can find them running with no problems for 3-4 all day.

I bought a 98 Disco LSE with a 2" OME lift and loved it. I wish I would have held onto it.

Comment

I drove an 03 Disco II for nine years. Bought new, and after the factory warranty dried up, I learned to fix the small things that broke on it.

Nothing major. Bulb here and there, a fuse time to time. Replaced a leaky hub. The transfer case had a slow leak, but no biggie. Put 150,000 miles on it.

Had a 2 inch lift kit, Old Man Emu shocks and Rovertyme springs. I sold it for $3K. Yes, the D1's are easier to work on. Less electric gremlins to chase down. It was a well built vehicle. I should've kept it.

CDL is nice to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Gaber View Post
                      I drove an 03 Disco II for nine years. Bought new, and after the factory warranty dried up, I learned to fix the small things that broke on it.

Nothing major. Bulb here and there, a fuse time to time. Replaced a leaky hub. The transfer case had a slow leak, but no biggie. Put 150,000 miles on it.

Had a 2 inch lift kit, Old Man Emu shocks and Rovertyme springs. I sold it for $3K. Yes, the D1's are easier to work on. Less electric gremlins to chase down. It was a well built vehicle. I should've kept it.

CDL is nice to have.
                      I don't know what it is about the D1/D2 but I just like it. Good to know to get the D1 instead. If they welded the rear 2 doors shut, gutted the cargo bay and left it a 2 seater I would be all over it as a weekend fugg around truck. There is a Jaguar/Mercedes shop down the street from the house that has had a D1/D2 on jackstands for the better part of 2 years in their back lot. I might just have to stop by and find out what's up on that vehicle.

How reliable are the transmissions and what kills them? Service interval?

I'm still not totally turned off on the D2 I found as the price is pretty good...but I haven't found out if the HG's were leaking and found early, or if he burned it down in Houston traffic. If it's the latter, no bueno, offer 1500 and part it out. Thanks for the pictures of a nice D2 in aggie maroon!

Comment

I'd stay away from one that's been on jack stands for that long. lol. Finding one with a good service history is a plus, if not a must. Most disco's you can find with some patience were grocery getters anyway. They are VERY off road capable with just a 2" lift. And that's about the max you want to put on one.

I've never heard of too many tranny problems. Main issues are cooling and head gaskets. Both of which can be corrected pretty easily. I did some mild/moderate off roading and I never even had to take it out of the Auto 4x4H. The 4x4 system is one of the best if not the best.

Only con's are you can not go to O'Reilys, etc to buy parts. However, there are plenty of support sites where you can get parts pretty quickly. (roverbones, etc) The motor is basically a rendition of an old Buick push rod. I loved mine and I will be in another sooner than later.

Check this one out...

Comment

Originally posted by aggie97 View Post
                          I don't know what it is about the D1/D2 but I just like it. Good to know to get the D1 instead. If they welded the rear 2 doors shut, gutted the cargo bay and left it a 2 seater I would be all over it as a weekend fugg around truck. There is a Jaguar/Mercedes shop down the street from the house that has had a D1/D2 on jackstands for the better part of 2 years in their back lot. I might just have to stop by and find out what's up on that vehicle.

How reliable are the transmissions and what kills them? Service interval?

I'm still not totally turned off on the D2 I found as the price is pretty good...but I haven't found out if the HG's were leaking and found early, or if he burned it down in Houston traffic. If it's the latter, no bueno, offer 1500 and part it out. Thanks for the pictures of a nice D2 in aggie maroon!
                          The tranny and transfer case are bullet proof. Although you need to grease the drive axles every oil change. Or the u joints dry up.

Just change the fluids every 30k. If you pull the trigger, get a Rave cd. It's the work shop Manuel that shows you every part on the truck, and how to replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by KWClutch View Post
                            I'd stay away from one that's been on jack stands for that long. lol. Finding one with a good service history is a plus, if not a must. Most disco's you can find with some patience were grocery getters anyway. They are VERY off road capable with just a 2" lift. And that's about the max you want to put on one.

I've never heard of too many tranny problems. Main issues are cooling and head gaskets. Both of which can be corrected pretty easily. I did some mild/moderate off roading and I never even had to take it out of the Auto 4x4H. The 4x4 system is one of the best if not the best.

Only con's are you can not go to O'Reilys, etc to buy parts. However, there are plenty of support sites where you can get parts pretty quickly. (roverbones, etc) The motor is basically a rendition of an old Buick push rod. I loved mine and I will be in another sooner than later.

Check this one out...

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ctd/3499241935.html
                            I always bought my parts from Will Tillery, Aka Rover Guy. Or Atlantic British.

Comment

Thought it was too funny not to share:

My wife and I were texting yesterday, and I was telling her I was thinking about heading to Houston to check out a tin top Samurai.

SHe asked if that was the little jeep looking thing, so I just replied yes.

She said " sorry when I think of a Samurai I think of a Japanese Warrior"

I replied "its a japanese warrior jeep"
                              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Bought this sticker for my Grand Cherokee hehehehe......
                                Murph

Lots of cars that nobody desires

Comment

Working...
                                X