6 week century training?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 week century training?

By this time last year I was doing 100+ miles / week, on my way to 200 miles / week at the end of last summer. Knocked out a century in early June last year without issue.

This year... I haven't even touched a bike in the last 6 weeks and when I did it was MTB rides, not roadie.

What are the odds of me getting ready for a century in the next 6 weeks? And what are the odds of doing it injury free?

Is a century a 100 mile bike race?

Comment

Yeah, sorry.

100 miles on a bike.

Comment

Dang man! 20 miles is about the most I can do in one day. I must say though that all I have is a cross country bike. I can't even fathom the thought of me going 100 miles. But another thing is I'm sure that a ride is WAAAAY different when you do it on a road bike.

Good luck brotha. All you can do is give it a shot. What have you got to lose?

Comment

get on the bike and get to training. I bet your legs come back pretty quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
            What are the odds of me getting ready for a century in the next 6 weeks?
            [Lloyd Christmas]Like 1 out of 100[/Lloyd Christmas]

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
            And what are the odds of doing it injury free?
            [Mary Swanson]More like 1 out of a million [/Mary Swanson]
            [Lloyd Christmas]So you're telling me there's a chance?!![/Lloyd Christmas]

Comment

Go ahead and set some blood aside. Or get ahold of some EPO. Should be good to go from there!

Comment

Are you wanting to do HtH or what?

I'll be at the Collin classic. You want to slog out 50 or 60 then?

Comment

You can come ride 60 with me in Muenster this weekend. Its a metric century

Comment

Originally posted by Beej View Post
                    i'll be there drinking beer and eating sauerkraut!

god bless.
                    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

There was a schedule posted years ago on how to ride a century in 6 weeks...from scratch. You can do it. The saddle time will be the most difficult part. No days off (other than "easy" 20mile rides). I went from a 4:40 100 to a 10:00 200 in a few weeks. It was Austin to Dallas with a southern breeze, but still...

*edit on that 200 time.
                      Last edited by Vertnut; 04-27-2011, 02:18 PM.

Comment

I was going to do that one this weekend until I had a "spill" and fucked up my wrists and have a pretty sport road rash on my ass...

Comment

I'd love to, but there is a vacation in Italy thing I have to tend to this weekend and next week. I'll be riding a few days over there, and probably getting wasted by some guido on a steely single speed too.

Comment

The century can be done, but it'll be a lot easier with training. I did the HtH last year and didn't really train for it. My longest ride in a year had been 40 miles on the road...with a bunch of 20 and 30 mile mtn bike rides mixed in. I only rode about 200 miles in the month leading up to HtH. I made it to about mile 50 trouble free. After that, I started cramping quite a bit...but rest stations start becoming more and more frequent. I was hitting pickles and oranges left and right, but I finished. So train or don't train...it just depends on how miserable you want to be. But you can finish.
                            Rachel McAdams nude pics

Comment

Working...
                            X