No announcement yet.

Running... Cardio...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was gonna ask how long a half marathon is, but I guess that was answered above.

I've been reading through running threads on the forum and I must be the only one running that's not training for something or trying to lose weight. I just run for the heck of it when I have nothing else to do lol.

I do at least 6 miles a day lately, and have been hitting a 47min 6 mile time usually. Broke that time back on Monday with a 45:25min 6 miles and was pretty stoked. Average pace was 7:33/mile. this was also after doing a quick 1 mile right before the 6. I'm gonna be aiming to beat that 45min this week. did a 5k yesterday in 23min, with some walking.

I use runkeeper on my htc evo to track everything. I run on some Nike Lunar Glide+ 3 shoes. Usually do my run in the middle of the day, at a park with a 1 mile track. Is it bad that I really don't ever stretch?

Sign up for Runkeeper's free online social fitness community and running app to connect with friends to train and track your workouts.
    Last edited by 89stangGT; 10-12-2011, 11:37 PM.
    HD Parts
    paul@maverickhd.com

Comment

I don't know a lot about it myself. I run to cross-train. I swim 3 days a week, run 3 days a week, and cycle 3 days a week. The only reason I do events is for motivation to stay fit. It's just a goal thing.

Comment

Originally posted by 89stangGT View Post

I do at least 6 miles a day lately, and have been hitting a 47min 6 mile time usually. Broke that time back on Monday with a 45:25min 6 miles and was pretty stoked. Average pace was 7:33/mile.

http://runkeeper.com/user/89stangGT/profile
        Just made a 6 mile run in 45:17. would've been under 45 if not for a lady vin a car that sat and stared instead of turning when I was trying to cross a road.
        HD Parts
        paul@maverickhd.com

Comment

Just did my first event ever, 5k in mansfield. Placed 2nd with a 21:25. guy in front got a 19:43. I had NO chance of keeping up.
          HD Parts
          paul@maverickhd.com

Comment

usually the "side stitch" is lower than your lung or rib area, are you coughing (dry cough) during or after running? coughing up phlegm or wheezing?

Comment

Originally posted by 89stangGT View Post
              Just did my first event ever, 5k in mansfield. Placed 2nd with a 21:25. guy in front got a 19:43. I had NO chance of keeping up.
              nice job man! i had the TV on saturday morning and some dude ran the Komen 5k in like 14 minutes! unreal! i am excited to get under 30mins

god bless.
              It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
                nice job man! i had the TV on saturday morning and some dude ran the Komen 5k in like 14 minutes! unreal! i am excited to get under 30mins

god bless.
                amen sir.

Comment

I get bad side stitches fairly regularly. I've found it helps to warm up first (get a little sweat going) then stretch my abs while doing some deep breathing exercises. This normally prevents the side stitch. If it comes up, I just slow my pace a little and run through it.

I fucking hate running.

Comment

After running anywhere from 6-15 miles a day for the past two years..I've changed my mind about it..It's a GREAT way to lose weight fast if your diet is in check, but if you have any good ammount of mass on you it's just not good for anything from your lower back and down.

If you are a 5'5 130 lb marathon runner go for it..Run every day..But if you are a 6'3 235 lb giant like me, no matter how lean you are you will pay for it in the long run..Try stairs, bike, walking up hill, or eliptical so you will be able to walk when you get older.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FunFordCobra View Post
                      After running anywhere from 6-15 miles a day for the past two years..I've changed my mind about it..It's a GREAT way to lose weight fast if your diet is in check, but if you have any good ammount of mass on you it's just not good for anything from your lower back and down.

If you are a 5'5 130 lb marathon runner go for it..Run every day..But if you are a 6'3 235 lb giant like me, no matter how lean you are you will pay for it in the long run..Try stairs, bike, walking up hill, or eliptical so you will be able to walk when you get older.
                      I've never heard anything like this from any of the running books I've read. Maybe a running coach could help you tweak your form so you could run without pounding... Just a thought.

-Jonny
                      2012 Silver Mustang GT 5.0:stock.
                      '00 Performance Red Mustang GT 4v turbo 6-speed 540rwhp/572rwtq (SOLD)
                      '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny00GT View Post
                        I've never heard anything like this from any of the running books I've read. Maybe a running coach could help you tweak your form so you could run without pounding... Just a thought.

-Jonny
                        You won't hear it from running books, because they cater to people that want to run. 235lbs is a big boy, especially for a runner, and he speaks from experience, not a book. I'm not running near that (4 miles 3/4 times a week), but at 200lbs., I feel it in my lower back, too. I cycle 3/4 days a week, and swim 3 days a week. Running is definitely tougher on us older guys. My dad had total hip replacement back in March, and I asked his surgeon at Baylor (Rathjen) if running would accelerate hip/knee issues involving replacement surgery. He said absolutely not, and that most of the hip replacements were brought on by arthritis in the joint, and that moderate activity was the best thing to stave off those problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                          You won't hear it from running books, because they cater to people that want to run. 235lbs is a big boy, especially for a runner, and he speaks from experience, not a book. I'm not running near that (4 miles 3/4 times a week), but at 200lbs., I feel it in my lower back, too. I cycle 3/4 days a week, and swim 3 days a week. Running is definitely tougher on us older guys. My dad had total hip replacement back in March, and I asked his surgeon at Baylor (Rathjen) if running would accelerate hip/knee issues involving replacement surgery. He said absolutely not, and that most of the hip replacements were brought on by arthritis in the joint, and that moderate activity was the best thing to stave off those problems.
                          I'm really not trying to pick a fight or call anyone a liar. I know everyone is different, so I'm just not in favor of a blanket statement based on one person's experience. I was 260lbs when I started running this year. I researched like crazy and rebuilt my running form from the ground up. All my past issues with running: arch pain, heel pain, calf tightness, shin splints, knee ache (left ACL replacement some years back) and low back tightness all went away when I began running with (MY) correct form. (Just had my form checked by a running coach last weekend. Only advice was slightly higher knee lift and loosen up my shoulders.) The best thing that came of all my research and form tweaks is, I actually enjoy running now! I'm also down about 40Lbs and counting, but still well over the 135lb cut off that FFC suggests. ;o) (FWIW, My low back issues went away when I corrected my running posture. The rest of my problems went away with a mid-foot landing vs landing on my heel and possible over striding. Have someone watch you run and see if you're head is down, you're leaned way out in front or hunched. Worth a look if it could keep your back from getting tight!)

I believe, just like lifting weights, correct form and movement is vital to longevity in any sport or activity. If something hurts, check first if you're doing it correctly before you blame it on the activity itself. That's just my experience and personal research, though.

-Jonny
                          2012 Silver Mustang GT 5.0:stock.
                          '00 Performance Red Mustang GT 4v turbo 6-speed 540rwhp/572rwtq (SOLD)
                          '07 Honda CB919 (SOLD)

Comment

Working...
                          X