bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bench

Been trying to get my bench weight up but I don't always have some one to spot me so I've started using the guided rack, I dunno what its really called. The squat rack where the bar is on tracks and has hooks, you know what I mean. ANyways, any one have long term experience using this instead of a regular bench? Downsides to using it instead of a regular bench?

So far I really like it. I don't worry bout getting stuck so I feel comfortable pushing more weight, that alone has net me 40 to 60 lbs on bench.
    1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

You are lifting "more" because of the smith machine, not because you are more comfortable.

If you don't have a spotter, lighten the weight some and don't go to failure.

Comment

Yeah, the smith machine is a little bit of a cheat. It allows you to push in exactly one direction without having to stabilize the weight as you raise it. This allows you to lift more. Thus, by using the smith machine you will be neglecting a lot of the "stabilizing" muscles in your arms and shoulders.

Personally, I prefer dumbells to barbell bench most of the time. Can't lift as much weight with dumbells, but you can still load your body and you are engaging a lot of smaller, oft neglected muscles.

Comment

I know I lose the stabilizing muscles by using the smith but other than that what's wrong with using it for heavy weight much the same way people use the hammer strength machines? Is losing those small muscles the only drawback?

I'm not using the smith exclusively for chest, BTW. Still using dumbell incline press, cable flys, hammer strength, decline bench, etc.

My previous bench max - 315 x 1
        After using the smith for heavy weights for a few weeks - 345 x 2(and literally came a few inches from getting a third)

These were both at the top of a 5 set pyramid.

Comment

Sounds good man, I don't think there is anything wrong with using it as part of a workout and it can be good for busting a plateau.

Comment

i personally find myself with more shoulder pain when doing smith machine bench vs. regular. although like others have said, i like dumbbells better especially if i have no spot (much easier to ditch out).

Comment

I've always got the best results with using dumbbells.
              Correct bench pressing is an arch push, not a straight push.
              Therefore utilizing a smith machine for bench means you would be a lot more likely to shoulder injuries(see above).

BTW: Hammer machine presses are not a straight push, they are made with an arch push as well.
              Congrats on your new best!!

Comment

Without a spotter just increase your weight and do four to six reps if you are looking to gain strength. You don't have to come to ball busting muscle failure every set. Stay away from the Smith machine IMO.

Comment

How would I be more likely to injure my shoulders using the smith?

I've been adding reps but hit a wall at 315 and haven't been able to get more than one or maybe two reps that's one reason I started using the smith. I can do more weight to failure with less risk to injury.

Comment

You can also do more weigt because most of those machines are counterweighted...so in actuality...it's not more weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
                      How would I be more likely to injure my shoulders using the smith?

I've been adding reps but hit a wall at 315 and haven't been able to get more than one or maybe two reps that's one reason I started using the smith. I can do more weight to failure with less risk to injury.
                      There is all kinds of talk about the restricted range of motion putting more stress on your muscles and joints because the weight is not evenly distributed like it is during natural range of motion. I dunno how true it is. I've never known anyone to be injured by one. I used one for awhile, but did not like the fact that I became dependent of it and when I moved to a regular bench I found out just how weak I was. IMO it's denying the body what is needed for true range of motion.
                      As stated, if you don't have a spotter, increase weight and decrease reps especially if you are looking for strength.

Comment

I too use a smith machine at my workout facility since I workout by myself. I do incline and flat bench with it and change up grip positions...wide, close, and shoulder width.

Good job, keep it up

Comment

The Smith Machine bench press is one of the most controversial exercises in the bench press world.
                          In this article, I will lay to rest the old myths about this exercise and go over the best way to use the Smith Machine bench press in your training.

Note: For those that do not know, the Smith Machine is the machine that has a barbell locked in on a guided path and can only move vertically.

However, before we get into actual exercises, I want to address the controversy surrounding the Smith Machine. There are three camps all with difference opinions about this exercise:

- Strong, hardcore lifters who insist that free weights are the only way to go and believe that smith machine pressing is easier than free benching.

- Legitimate bodybuilders who have built impressive amounts of muscle and prefer this exercise for safety and a better quality of muscle contraction.

- Clueless newbies who use the Smith Machine bench press since it allows them to bench more weight than a free bench press.

So who is right? Well, everyone to an extent is right, except for the clueless newbies, of course!

It is true that lifters will be able to load a lot more weight on the Smith Machine bench press than they will on a traditional bench press. The bar on most Smith Machines is lighter than an Olympic barbell and due to the guided path, less shoulder stability is required.

Due to the lack of stability required to perform the Smith Machine bench press and the fact that the bar is outright lighter, lifters are able to handle more weight. Additionally, the shoulders, chest, and triceps are trained whereas many supporting and stabilizing muscles activated on a free bench press remain dormant.

With that said, if the goal is to build muscle, who cares about stabilizing muscles? For that reason, bodybuilders have a legitimate reason to defend the Smith Machine bench press.

However, many lifters make the mistake of performing the Smith Machine bench press on a flat bench. The real issue with the Smith is not how "easy" it is but that the bar is on a fixed path.

The ideal flat bench bar path should involve the bar hitting low on the chest and then moving towards the eyes as the lifter locks out the lift. In other words, the bar needs to be able to move horizontally and vertically, while the Smith Machine bench press only allows the bar to move vertically. The path of a proper flat bench is often referred to as the "J" shape.

The end result of flat benching on a Smith Machine is significant shoulder stress and ultimately shoulder pain. Bench pressing alone is stressful enough on the shoulder, you do not need to make it worse by adding in an extra stressor by using the fixed path of the Smith Machine.

For this reason, I recommend only using the Smith Machine for an incline bench press. The incline bench press requires very little horizontal movement and as a result, the incline Smith Machine bench press is very gentle on the shoulders. The stability of the Smith Machine helps improve the contraction of the chest and as a result this exercise is a great upper chest builder.

Conclusion

While the Smith Machine bench press allows the lifter to use more weight when lifting, it has its purposes for bodybuilding. For best results, I recommend sticking to incline variations as the flat bench Smith Machine press places large and potentially harmful loads on the shoulder complex.

Trainees only interested in increasing their max bench press should stick to free weights.

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                            There is all kinds of talk about the restricted range of motion putting more stress on your muscles and joints because the weight is not evenly distributed like it is during natural range of motion. I dunno how true it is. I've never known anyone to be injured by one. I used one for awhile, but did not like the fact that I became dependent of it and when I moved to a regular bench I found out just how weak I was. IMO it's denying the body what is needed for true range of motion.
                            As stated, if you don't have a spotter, increase weight and decrease reps especially if you are looking for strength.
                            Good point, I don't wanna be dependant on it just want to get comfortable with more weight

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                            You can also do more weigt because most of those machines are counterweighted...so in actuality...it's not more weight.
                            True and thats something I've wondered, how much counter weight is on it. Doesn't seem like much.

Thanks for the article, thats by far the best info yet. It mentions that the normal path of a bench press starts over your chest and ends over your face, but that motion is limited by the smith. Are some or most smiths just a straight vertical path? The one at my gym isn't perpendicular to the ground its at more like an 80 degree angle.

I guess the conclusion is to use it in moderation, but not as a replacement. Work my normal bench work out on a real bench but shift to the smith when I get to the heavy stuff?

A lot of people have mentioned the stress on shoulders from the smith, I haven't noticed any... yet. I'll Keep it in mind as I've had shoulder issues in the past. But as a result I do a lot of shoulder work to keep them healthy and strong, including rotater cuff exercises to strengthen the joint.

Comment

The smith machines that ive seen actually follow a horizontal path. That being said, it feels like it has counterweights attached to it. Its too easy and I wouldnt ever consider a smith max a legitimate max.
                              "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Working...
                              X