How much is too much milk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much is too much milk?

Not entirely sure if this is the right place to ask, but maybe someone can point me in the correct direction.

I just realized how much milk I'm drinking every day and I'm fairly certain its well above what is considered "normal". I'm trying to lose a bit of weight and don't have time in the morning to put together a healthy breakfast so I have started drinking meal replacement shakes and I've been getting the powder to mix with milk. Usually 25oz or so for breakfast and another at lunch. Post-workout I'll usually make a protein shake with some fruit, whey, yogurt and some milk, roughly 15oz or so of it. And then on occasion I'll have a small glass of milk at night if its a night off from working out. Its always organic and either skim or 1%.

Could this much dairy cause a problem or any adverse effects with trying to lose weight and build some muscle mass? I know too much of a good thing can be bad and I'm sure its true in this case, just not sure how much is "too much"

if you're fat and/or your cholesterol levels are high, its too much...

if you're lean and your levels are fine, it's not too much
    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post

No, my fat and cholesterol are just fine. I do want to lose some body fat, but they are not "high". I just would like to lean out a bit and then build back some muscle.

Comment

Mix with water. If you're drinking whey protein that's already some dairy. That much milk has to be several calories you don't need.

Comment

LOL, not quite true...

8oz of Whole Milk = 24mg of cholesterol
          8oz of 2% Milk = 12mg of cholesterol
          8oz of Skim Milk = 5mg of cholesterol

Recommended daily intake of cholesterol = around 300mg

Then again, I havent touched whole milk(mainly due to the saturated fat and secondary, the sugar content) in years and years.
          I would recommend using Skim milk or water or do what I do, and just use pasturized egg whites.
          Last edited by stangin4lyfe; 04-06-2012, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
            Mix with water. If you're drinking whey protein that's already some dairy. That much milk has to be several calories you don't need.
            Not if it's skim, and not really if it's 1% milk fat. Hell, the only concern miiiiiiiight be lactose (if he were intolerant, which he does not appear to be), and if that's really a concern, lactose free milk tastes amazing.

BR: Honestly, the only concern might be a calcium deposit, but that won't hurt you, and you'd notice it quick. You should be fine.
            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

How is it not true? If your cholesterol levels are fine, it's fne. If they're high and you think you might be drinking too much milk, you might be

Originally posted by stangin4lyfe View Post
              LOL, not quite true...

8oz of Whole Milk = 24mg of cholesterol
              8oz of 2% Milk = 12mg of cholesterol
              8oz of Skim Milk = 5mg of cholesterol

Recommended daily intake of cholesterol = around 300mg

Then again, I havent touched whole milk(mainly due to the saturated fat and secondary, the sugar content) in years and years.
              I would recommend using Skim milk or water or do what I do, and just use pasturized egg whites.
              Last edited by stangin4lyfe; 04-06-2012, 08:43 AM.
              http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

How is it not true? If your cholesterol levels are fine, it's fne. If they're high and you think you might be drinking too much milk, you might be
                One would think that the simple math and nutritional breakdown that I just gave spoke for itself.

I'll keep it simple for you...High cholesterol is not directly attributed to milk intake.

Comment

Milk is high in calories but also has vitamins. On that note, I don't recall the last time I had milk...
                  Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Originally posted by Yale View Post
                    Not if it's skim, and not really if it's 1% milk fat. Hell, the only concern miiiiiiiight be lactose (if he were intolerant, which he does not appear to be), and if that's really a concern, lactose free milk tastes amazing.

BR: Honestly, the only concern might be a calcium deposit, but that won't hurt you, and you'd notice it quick. You should be fine.
                    You may want to do the math before you comment lol...that's a minimum of 650 calories in the milk alone if he does straight skim. If it's 1% it's 825 calories. Then if you add on another glass at night on occasion, that's about 1000 calories alone of fucking milk. If he mixed with water that would cut his calories by at least 650/day. Or free those calories up for other foods.

Hell the calories from milk in each shake is about 240-300. And thats on an MRP for weight loss...

Comment

Needs more
                      Originally posted by davbrucas
                      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                        Needs more
                        Cowbell?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                          You may want to do the math before you comment lol...that's a minimum of 650 calories in the milk alone if he does straight skim. If it's 1% it's 825 calories. Then if you add on another glass at night on occasion, that's about 1000 calories alone of fucking milk. If he mixed with water that would cut his calories by at least 650/day. Or free those calories up for other foods.

Hell the calories from milk in each shake is about 240-300. And thats on an MRP for weight loss...
                          Thats a good point. Water it is

Comment

I drink my protein with water. Two huge fucking scoops with water with the magic bullet. Then proceed to chug like a champ.

Comment

I use unsweetened Almond Milk.

Comment

Working...
                              X