bike advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bike advice needed

I currently have a 06 Trek 1000 with the 2203/tiagra, no problems but Ive been looking at a 02 specialized elite with 105 triple set up for $650. just wondering if its worth upgrading to? From what I have read the 105 even 10yrs old is supposed to be better quality?? just wanted some more input.

also looking at a 1999 Specialized Allez M4 Pro ultegra components

Comment

Originally posted by jfrog View Post
      also looking at a 1999 Specialized Allez M4 Pro ultegra components
      Just an opinion here, but I really like Ultegra, and always have (since the late '80's!). It's highly unlikely you'll ever wear out Ultegra parts. I would consider the mileage on the '99 bike, but the Allez is a really nice frameset. Is it 8sp or 9sp Ultegra? Either is fine, but somewhere in there they made the change. I ride a 9sp Ultegra Cannondale and really like it.

Comment

the 99 is 3x8

Comment

It's a little dated, but if that doesn't bother you, and it's really clean, go for it. You can always update it to 10sp at a later date if you want.

Comment

I don't think any of these bikes are a good deal for 700-800 you can get a almost new bike with newer tiagra or 105 and that is way better then 10 year old Ultergra.

Comment

Originally posted by Beej View Post
              I don't think any of these bikes are a good deal for 700-800 you can get a almost new bike with newer tiagra or 105 and that is way better then 10 year old Ultergra.
              all ive seen in newer models 105 and up run well over $1000 range. the older ultegras are almost bullet proof and lighter. I have o6 tiagra and want something a bit more dependable for longer rides. plus I am currently using a 52cm and sure i would fit better on a 54

Comment

just remember like anything else there is trickle down. The 06 tiagra is going to be better then ultegra-105 of 99. I saw keep what you have, tiagra is plenty dependable, dont let anyone tell you that it isnt. Save your pennies for a newer bike, something from the last 5 years. There are bikes all over craigslist for $500 that have new components and frames from the last 4-5 years.

I don't know why you are concerned about weight. You are talking about a few grams on an otherwise heavy bike. Don't let the weight game get you. You are not going to gain any benefit by trying to lighten up a 25-30lb bike.

Comment

Let me know what your price range is and I can help you find something.

Comment

well i guess weight really isnt an issue considering I am 240# (although was 260#) I was really looking for a 54cm as the 52 I have is a tad bit small. Id be ok with another frame and upgrading shifters as I have the thumb ds that you cant get from drop position.

Comment

Originally posted by Beej View Post
                      Let me know what your price range is and I can help you find something.
                      limiting my self to about 700-800.
                      was also looking at a 2005 Jamis quest? theyll take 675

Comment

well i guess weight really isnt an issue considering I am 240# (although was 260#) I was really looking for a 54cm as the 52 I have is a tad bit small. Id be ok with another frame and upgrading shifters as I have the thumb ds that you cant get from drop position.
                        You're a big cat at 240lb, especially for a 52cm frame. How tall are you? The heavier you are, the stiffer the frameset can be.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                          You're a big cat at 240lb, especially for a 52cm frame. How tall are you? The heavier you are, the stiffer the frameset can be.
                          well my measurements are strange. Im 5'10.5" but my inseam floor to crotch is around 31.5-32 inches. Although I weigh 240# people swear I look more like 220#

Comment

well my measurements are strange. Im 5'10.5" but my inseam floor to crotch is around 31.5-32 inches. Although I weigh 240# people swear I look more like 220#
                            My inseam is the same and I ride a 56cm. I have a long reach and use a little longer stem for that. You don't want to be cramped up on the bike, but if you stretch out too much, you lose leverage and power.

Comment

What do you think about the felt2011 z85, found a used for $900 with accessories. Also found a new oldermodel z95 Garmin for 799

Comment

Working...
                              X