Slow vs fast reps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow vs fast reps?

So as far back as I can remember, when I went to go lift I would try to crank our my reps at a fairly quick pace. But it came down to my FAC (Fighter Aircrew Conditioning) Test and it really kicked my ass. Its body weight percentages for several different events, but long story short the reps are 6 count: 2 up, 3 down and 1 rest (without weights touching). Needless to say MUCH slower than what I usually will do at the gym.

My question is: will working out in my normal manner (i.e. fast reps) not really do much for that sort of fitness test? I feel I work out to failure much faster doing slower reps than faster ones. Also even on a day-to-day workout routine am I doing better for myself by slowing the reps down?

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
    My question is: will working out in my normal manner (i.e. fast reps) not really do much for that sort of fitness test? I feel I work out to failure much faster doing slower reps than faster ones. Also even on a day-to-day workout routine am I doing better for myself by slowing the reps down?
    Yes, slow down the reps with controlled smooth movements.
    Don't take this to the extreme though(2-3 secs for the positive aspect of the lift, and 2-5 secs for negatives).
    While on the stepmill, I sometimes look around the gym and watch people "race" to get through their sets and it brings a chuckle to me deep down inside, because I used to be THAT person!
    I've done this technique for the last few months and really noticed a large improvement in my physique.
    Of course, you will have to lower the weight and might even have to cut back the number of reps, but it will produce results and lots of soreness!

Comment

Originally posted by stangin4lyfe View Post
      Don't take this to the extreme though(2-3 secs for the positive aspect of the lift, and 2-5 secs for negatives).
      While on the stepmill, I sometimes look around the gym and watch people "race" to get through their sets and it brings a chuckle to me deep down inside, because I used to be THAT person!
      I've done this technique for the last few months and really noticed a large improvement in my physique.
      Of course, you will have to lower the weight and might even have to cut back the number of reps, but it will produce results and lots of soreness!
      100% agree with this post.
      2005 M3 Vert with TSW rims
      2001 Dodge Dakota R/T C/H/I, gears, exhaust, and 125 shot of nos
      2012 Ford Edge

Comment

Originally posted by bottlerocket View Post
        Also even on a day-to-day workout routine am I doing better for myself by slowing the reps down?
        Just depends on your goals.

Comment

Doing stuff fast will lead to injuries (tears).

Comment

Originally posted by stangin4lyfe View Post
            X3

If I speed through a set, I end up cheating and just don't get the pump. I take it slow and steady......but I am still a weak bitch...lol
            2019 ram 4x4.....no toys currently

Comment

I would mix in both. Like shorty said, it depends on goals.
              A powerlifter is going to rely on fast explosive power. Bodybuilders tend to slow it down with mind and muscle control.
              www.LockoutSupplements.com
              discount code = dfwmustangs

Comment

Originally posted by GRAYHORSE View Post
                I would mix in both. Like shorty said, it depends on goals.
                A powerlifter is going to rely on fast explosive power. Bodybuilders tend to slow it down with mind and muscle control.
                solid advice.........look at your goals and go from there I have a mix in my routine

Comment

Working...
                X