No announcement yet.

School me on mountain bikes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This may be a dumb, noob question, but I'll ask anyway.

In regards to upper echelon manufacturers(Trek, Specialized etc), is there a big difference from their base model bikes versus a "department store" level bike?

For example, I'm looking at a ~$350 Trek 820 from a local shop versus a ~$230 Schwinn,mongoose, etc from academy.

Also, at a bike shop is there normally room to haggle on prices or are they normally set in stone?

Comment

Well heres my experiance. The top guns in bikes use higher quality frame material and welding/joining vs the wlamart steel and spot weld. Second AND most important; the components. The 820 has decent Shimano stuff and steel frame (heavy). Where the Walmart brands will have crappy components and really crappy steel! Link to your 820 on Trek's site http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes.../sport/820/820
      As for Mongoose, if you bought there bike shop version, they are actually really good bikes. Its the chain store models that are trash.

REMEMBER; On bikes (road or mtn) the more you spend, the better the bike (e.i. the components are king).
      I hope this helps.

Comment

Story time... buddy of mine got into biking and went and bought a Mongoose wallyworld version to start on with some friends out at horseshoe who had Specialized bikes. Riding it cracked the frame on the weld of the top and down tubes join at the headset. He bough a Stumpjumper FSR.
        Second story, my buddy (different) also bought a chain store brand (Next) to tool around on with me. That pos couldnt stay in gear, extremely heavy, and was terribly built. You would have thought that any of these pos bikes mentioned were 30+ yrs old... He ended up buying a nice Trek Cobia.
        and third story, 3rd buddy had a mongoose to start off on and rode it for a long while. By the end of the "season" that bike was stretched out and almost useless. He bought a Camber 29er.

Point being, it your going to buy a bike to basically rag out on rough trails (anything outside of pavement), you want a good bike from a good manufacturer, fitted to YOU, and with good components.

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris View Post
          Damn, and I thought my 500 was bright.
          Agreed, I have a NR MiNewt 600 and its bright enough!
          But look at this beast!
          30+ years ago NiteRider released the first high powered line of self-contained bike lights. With our custom reflectors, optics and circuitry; we’ve dialed-in the perfect combination that will give you added peace of mind to enjoy your ride, help efficiently navigate off-road terrain, and see/explore outside adventures.

Comment

Originally posted by Tannerm View Post
            Agreed, I have a NR MiNewt 600 and its bright enough!
            But look at this beast!
            http://www.niterider.com/rechargeabl...-3000-led-new/
            I run a 2 magic shines, one on helmet and one on bars. It is the only way to go. When you get 2-3 riders with plenty of light it is almost like day, just have to watch out for shadows.

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
              This may be a dumb, noob question, but I'll ask anyway.

In regards to upper echelon manufacturers(Trek, Specialized etc), is there a big difference from their base model bikes versus a "department store" level bike?

For example, I'm looking at a ~$350 Trek 820 from a local shop versus a ~$230 Schwinn,mongoose, etc from academy.

Also, at a bike shop is there normally room to haggle on prices or are they normally set in stone?
              Department store bikes are not built to be ridden. In the best case scenario, they will barely shift, the wheels will come out of true constantly, they will weigh 40lbs, and won't be very rewarding. In the more likely scenario, the frame or fork will fail, sometimes having serious medical consequences. The wheels will cost you a fortune in truing, and you will break all of the cheap plastic shit that the bike is made from.

The Trek will cost you plenty in maintenance, from trying to keep the drivetrain acting right, to keeping the jankety wheels true. The chance of frame/fork failure is almost none.

If you plan on riding trails, save more money and buy a decent bike. Nobody ever does it, because they all say "well i'm just trying to get in shape." or "i don't ride hard" etc, and then a year later they're buying the $1200 bike after they've dumped a few hundred into maintaining their $300 bike.

Comment

Yeah, the money isn't really the issue. At the same time, if there isn't a $100 difference between the Trek and the dept. store bike - I would rather keep my $100(it sounds like there is more than $100 difference). What I don't want to do is dive into a $1000+ bike and then realize I don't like riding.

Comment

Yeah, the money isn't really the issue. At the same time, if there isn't a $100 difference between the Trek and the dept. store bike - I would rather keep my $100(it sounds like there is more than $100 difference). What I don't want to do is dive into a $1000+ bike and then realize I don't like riding.
                  Depending on where you live, some shops will rent bikes out. Rent one for a weekend and see if it's for you.
                  Originally posted by Jester
                  Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                  He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                  Originally posted by Denny
                  What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                  FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Buy a nice used $600 bike, and when I go to sell it... Get $600!

Comment

Adam, what are your thoughts on the Trek Mamba? Had a co-worker recommend this bike.

Discover the fun of riding with our wide range of electric, mountain, road, city, gravel, kids', and certified pre-owned bikes. Shop online or in-store!
                      Originally posted by Jester
                      Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                      He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                      Originally posted by Denny
                      What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                      FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                        Adam, what are your thoughts on the Trek Mamba? Had a co-worker recommend this bike.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes..._sport/mamba/#
                        Spend a few bucks more and get an Airborne Goblin. It's a LOT more bike for very little more money. Oh, and it doesn't say Trek on it. You pay a lot for those 4 letters.

The Goblin will weigh about 4lbs less, have a much better (lighter, better riding, smoother and more adjustable) fork, it'll have much higher quality drivetrain, better wheels, etc.

Comment

Big cedar kicked my ass today. I believe I averaged around 6.5 MPH throughout the entire course.
                          Karussell White - 2010 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT 2.0T -

Comment

Big cedar kicked my ass today. I believe I averaged around 6.5 MPH throughout the entire course.
                            We averaged a leisurely 10.9 mph around the north side of RCP tonight. Good times were had, we only lost one rider and nobody hurt themselves too badly.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
                              We averaged a leisurely 10.9 mph around the north side of RCP tonight. Good times were had, we only lost one rider and nobody hurt themselves too badly.

Go ride Big Cedar! I hated that fucking trail. That said, THE SOS (Sting of Scorpion) section has to be the most fun section of trail around.
                              Karussell White - 2010 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT 2.0T -

Comment

Go ride Big Cedar! I hated that fucking trail. That said, THE SOS (Sting of Scorpion) section has to be the most fun section of trail around.
                                I'm fat and I ride a singlespeed. That pretty much guarantees a heart attack at Big Cedar. Those 1/2 mile climbs that shadow builds for grins are the bane of my existence.

Comment

Working...
                                X