Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/bbcode/url.php on line 2 Official DFWMustangs Mountain Bike thread, sponsored by Brawndo, Osiris and Dos Equis - DFW Mustangs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official DFWMustangs Mountain Bike thread, sponsored by Brawndo, Osiris and Dos Equis

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Osiris View Post
    Glad the tire topic came up. I need a pair of road tires for my Camber 29'er. Was looking at the Schwable Big Apple, but turned off by the weight.

Ideas? GO!
    Stock tire replacement? I put a few hundred road miles on my stock rockhopper 9er tires. Don't be one of those fags with skinny road tires on a mountain bike. My kenda small block 8's grip well in the urban jungle, but they are soft and wear faster than my stock tires. No more full speed skids.

Comment

Glad the tire topic came up. I need a pair of road tires for my Camber 29'er. Was looking at the Schwable Big Apple, but turned off by the weight.

Ideas? GO!
      Are you running tubeless?

What I would do is get another set of wheels and have road setup and dirt setup.

A set of 700x35 cross tires or pavement tires fit fine. I have run 700x35's and 700x42 on my mtb for gravel races, they work ok on pavement.

I have a set of 700x35 Continental Speed king cross tires I can make you a deal on. They only have about 150 miles on them. I upgraded my cross bike to tubeless.

Comment

• Beej thanks. What tire would you recommend? This isn't a replacement per se, as it's for work. The tires I have on my bike at the moment are specialized Captain and Purgatory. Way too aggressive for city police patrolling. Also I'm in a regional police bike race soon and want a faster tire. It can't be too skinny as I may have to jump off road every once in a whole for brief moments at work.
        Karussell White - 2010 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT 2.0T -

Comment

• Deleted bc all my information was incorrect in this post.
          Last edited by Osiris; 08-02-2012, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• THE LIGHTEST MARATHON. RaceGuard for good puncture protection. SpeedGrip Compound for the best handling characteristics. With ist LiteSkin sidewall the Racer stays at an excellent weight level. A very sporty Marathon tire.

Comment

• Ok looks like the race mandates I have a mountain tire. I'll go with this one.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Schwalbe-Hurricane-Mountain-Bicycle-Tire/dp/B0050R7O52/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_19[/ame]

Comment

• should work for ya.

Comment

• Beej thanks for the help!

Comment

• Damn. I originally didn't notice the width on those Hurricanes. Sucks, but I can't go thinner than 1.90 inches, or 50 MM.

Looking at these expensive assholes now.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Schwalbe-Furious-Fred-Tire-2-00/dp/B004XVQAFQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1343941727&sr=1-1&keywords=furious+fred[/ame]

Comment

• Luis! Wait! I had big apples on my rockhopper for work. They have a "white wall" strip that's actually a bright reflective paint. They are heavy ish but not over doing it. Very quiet. I don't care for the size of them. They are big! I unfortunately was having tube blow outs with these. Bikes inc ended up sending them back and I went with somethIng else that I HIGHLY recommend.
                      Specialized Crossroads Armadillo tires. 700x38 size. The armadillo means Kevlar lined and very strong. They are thin, quiet, have some tread just in case, and not overly heavy. The big apples allowed me to continue to use my 29x1.9-2.3 tubes but with the crossroads, I had to Goto 700x38 sized road tires.
                      I won't buy big apples again.
                      Specialized Crossroads Armadillo ATB Tire user reviews : 4.6 out of 5 - 17 reviews. Read it's strength, weaknesses, find deals and pricing - mtbr.com
                      Last edited by Tannerm; 08-02-2012, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Damn. I originally didn't notice the width on those Hurricanes. Sucks, but I can't go thinner than 1.90 inches, or 50 MM.

Looking at these expensive assholes now.

http://www.amazon.com/Schwalbe-Furio...s=furious+fred
                        Hey I said the same thing. But the tubes aren't that expensive. I also ran my crossroads at 65psi and have had no issues. Also, big fat road tires look gay. The smaller crossroads are able to get knarly with psi and road quality. Idk if this will be a duty bike tire, mine is. My bike patrols at work (7p-7a) consist of 90% concrete riding and a few parks with dirt. So these were great. The schwables are junk in the rain and dirt/mud.

Comment

• I'm probably going with the furious fred 's I posted above. I can't go smaller than a 1.9", or a 50c.

Edit: this is for my work bike. 98 percent paved

Comment

• It has to be 700x50 or wider

Comment

• Why so wide? Mu rockhopper normally had 29x2.0 Captains on it. When I wore those out, I went with my crossroads.

Comment

• Its what my PD requires for the race, and patrol. Am I incorrect by saying 700 x 50 is a 1.9 in wide tire?

Comment

Working...
                                X