Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official DFWMustangs Mountain Bike thread, sponsored by Brawndo, Osiris and Dos Equis

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tannerm View Post
    proper dismount on the move. Some teach shooting but isn't required.
    Is there a technique that involves jamming the front brake and goldberg spearing a perp?

Shooting from a mountain bike sounds like a helluva time.

Comment

• anyone here still riding? now that the new house is in tolerable condition i am looking to take out my new bike. i got the cheap airborne guardian 2.0 anyone on the northside of dfw riding? im at 121 and hebron.

god bless.
      It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

• I ride at Rowlett Creek Preserve and Harry Moss Park. Neither of those are really close to you but I'd be down to meet up and ride somewhere on the weekend. I'm not super fast or anything.

Comment

• sounds awesome. i havent ridden off road in years so im anything but fast. i took off friday in hopes of getting my lawn in order that morning, then putting some miles on the bike.

god bless.
          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

• I'll ride with you guys. Northshore?

Comment

• Im moving to DFW here pretty soon. Here's my ride

2010 Giant Yukon FX
              Geax Saguaro Tires
              Bontrager Tubeless Conversion
              BWW Pure XCR Wheelset

Comment

• Ive been rideing RCP every Saturday afternoon since my bike was completed. The south half is the warm-up and the. I ride all of the north side minus loop 7,13. Its been really tacky and fast the past 2 weeks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Comment

• im attempting to get my hydro discs adjusted so i can take it on the maiden voyage. this is my first bike with discs. a little differnent than the old v-brakes.

god bless.

Comment

• I love my discs (although they are low end mechanicals). Just be easy on that front brake. I emergency stopped in my neighborhood right after i got it to avoid a stray dog and ended up biting the pavement.

Comment

• Good lord... I was mtb active in 2013 and 2012... This year has been a dead season for me! We are moving to Highland Village today and once all this madnes is complete, Ill try to get my brother and I our. We rode the shit outa Knob Hill, Horseshoe, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tannerm View Post
                        Good lord... I was mtb active in 2013 and 2012... This year has been a dead season for me! We are moving to Highland Village today and once all this madnes is complete, Ill try to get my brother and I our. We rode the shit outa Knob Hill, Horseshoe, etc.
                        I live in flower mound, north shore is so close, it'll be easy to back into the swing of things.

Comment

• Iv been riding a lot lately and I ride a Specialized hardrock. I like having a mountain bike so I can hit the trails but it's almost impossible for me to keep up with the guys in my neighborhood that all ride carbon road bikes. I generally average 14-15mph and they're all averaging 17+. I'v been looking to get a used road bike. Iv found quite a few older road bikes for the $300-500 range. In the hands of a novice will there be that much of a difference compared to an aluminum bike that 5+ years old?

Comment

• Most of the difference is the tire size and the weight of a full kit mountain bike. Im an avid trail rider and in great shape. My dad is in average shape for a mid 50's male, he has an old 80's raleigh race bike. I can keep up with him on pavement on my full suspension mountain bike but I have to gear up and beat myself silly while he gears down and cruises. The gearing is difference and the road tires have MUCH less rolling resistance. Buying an entry level road bike would be a very good idea if you intend to do much pavement riding.

Even an extra wheelset for your mountain bike with pavement tires would be a huge improvement.

Comment

• Im just wondering if I should spend the money on a higher end bike or a couple hundred bucks. To put it in mechanics terms Im wondering if spending money on an older/cheaper road bike would be like using a harbor freight screw driver vs a good brand. One will just screw everything up and not worth the time and one will never give you an issue? Is there really that much of a difference?

Comment

• It'd be more like buying a used snap on screwdriver, as long as you buy a snap on. Buy a quality built used bike and unless you become a hardcore roadie, you wont ever notice the difference. We have guys that show up at the trailhead all the time with $10,000 carbon rigs and me and my riding buddies smoke them on our sub $2000 aluminums. As long as you get quality equipment, the bike does not make the rider.

Comment

Working...
                                X