Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official DFWMustangs Mountain Bike thread, sponsored by Brawndo, Osiris and Dos Equis

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like user error or issue with your wheel.

I ride frequently and I Can count my annual flats on one hand. I ride slime tubes.

Comment

Almost everyone has trouble with tubes, that's why many riders who ride trails a lot ride tubeless.

FullSizeMike, I'm a big dude too, and I can tell you straight up that no coil spring fork on an entry level bike is going to work well for you. The Reba on the Goblin is adjustable so that it will ride well at your current size, and then can be tuned as you progress.

Also, buy a goblin, pull the wheels and sell them on craigslist and buy something bomb proof. You're going to need it.

Comment

Originally posted by 85turbocoupe View Post

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
        I bet that bike wheelies really well.

Comment

Originally posted by 85turbocoupe View Post
          Just as well as any other..
          I have a buddy who's an expert on bikes, I better call him in to take a look at it...

Originally posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
          I bet that bike wheelies really well.
          Yeah, your bike wheelies really well

Comment

Why not? Its the only decent part on my bike

Comment

Opinions on which one to go with? The Scott is used, but can be had for a grand. I don't know much about sram vs shimano, but I like the way the shimano was shifted. I can't get on the Goblin obviously.

Your complete guide to dirt jump / slopestyle mountain bikes on Vital MTB. Reviews and ratings, comparisons, weight, specs, prices, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Beej View Post
                Be careful when taking tires on and off and reinstalling that you don't have the tube pinched in the rim or anywhere else. That could cause a tube to be cut. Check the wheel for burs and run your fingers around the inside of the tire to make sure you don't have any inbeded contaminants that could run or cut the tube.

Go tubeless and and avoid all of these problems.
                I will eventually go tubeless, but I ride with two seperate tires... So, tubeless will be useless for me for now. Never blew a tire with the crosstrails. Bikes Inc took the rim a few days ago to investigate. They replaced the rimtape and rolled around with an over pressurized tube on there for a few days. Picking her up tonight.

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
                Sounds like user error or issue with your wheel.

I ride frequently and I Can count my annual flats on one hand. I ride slime tubes.
                See above about the wheel. I do my damnedest to be cautious with the darn things when installing. I clean the inside of the rim and tire out before install. I use a little bit of baby powder as well. I then center the presta valve and then pump it to about 10-20psi. Then go around the tire, squeezing it in hopes to undo any inperfections with it. I also use 1.75-1.9(?) tubes for my crosstrails since there 38mm wide, and then the usual 1.9-2.3 for my Captains that are 2.0in in diameter.

Comment

Originally posted by FullSizeMike View Post
                  Opinions on which one to go with? The Scott is used, but can be had for a grand. I don't know much about sram vs shimano, but I like the way the shimano was shifted. I can't get on the Goblin obviously.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/compare/2990-6592
                  For what its worth, My brother just bought his first mtn bike this past week. the 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Cobia 29er. Very nice bike with air shocks and decent compenants and 10 speed cassesete. It was around 1099+tax. I have another friend who bought the same bike several months ago and rides 3-4 times a week. Still runs like a champ. My only dislike of the bike is those gross Bontrager knobbies on it. They seem thin (even tho they are 29x2.0) and look cheap.

Comment

It seems like the Goblin is the best value in that price area on new stuff. I just can't ride it first, and that worries me a little. I'm not against buying something used, especially something like that Scott that seems to be a great deal. I will go look at a Cobia. Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by FullSizeMike View Post
                      It seems like the Goblin is the best value in that price area on new stuff. I just can't ride it first, and that worries me a little. I'm not against buying something used, especially something like that Scott that seems to be a great deal. I will go look at a Cobia. Thanks
                      If you know what size bike you like, then it shouldn't be an issue. The Goblin uses a very generic "like a bike" geometry.

Comment

• ^ IMO, specialized has the best ergos on there bikes. Trek feels more aggressive but not over the top! I do not care for cannondale at all.

Side note: I almost passed out today at horseshoe! 100+ degrees at 1pm (only time today to ride...) and we were about 3 miles in. I hit a climb in the wrong gear and stopped to redo it. As my brother came around for his crack at the same obstacle, he endo'd from sand lol. I told him I'm gunna take a leak so go ahead. As I was whizzing, my heart started to hit HARD and u could see/feel the veins in ur eyes pumping + nausea. Passing out or heat stroke. One of the two. Scared the shit outa me! I wasn't that tired at that point but I guess stopping, standing still, and NO wind damn near did me in. We were going at a very quick pace but I am gunna equate this to the extreme heat and lack of wind. I had almost sucked my 100oz bladder dry too. End of story.
                        Last edited by Tannerm; 06-25-2012, 08:34 PM. Reason: FuckIng iPhone autocorrect. Piss off!!!!

Comment

• went ahead and ordered the goblin...just have to wait a few days on it.

Comment

• sweet! Now get ur ass out and ride in a few days!

Comment

• Originally posted by FullSizeMike View Post
                              went ahead and ordered the goblin...just have to wait a few days on it.
                              Now order a Niner EMD frame to compliment that component group

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
                                Now order a Niner EMD frame to compliment that component group
                                There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Goblin frame, but the components are definitely killer.

Mike, take the wheels to your local shop and have them trued, and the spoke tension taken up a notch. You will thank me later. It shouldn't cost much.

Comment

Working...
                                X