Tips for a newbie cyclist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for a newbie cyclist?

For awhile now I've been wanting to try cycling for some cardio. I've always been a runner and it is getting montitonous and just getting boring doing it all te time.
    So last night I grabbed a 10 speed mountain bike and pushed through about five miles, and it was a workout.

So my main questions are:
    1. Any tips on a beginner road bike selection?

2. Any training tips or how should I start? Just hop on and go a little further when I feel comfortable?

3. What do I need to know that most people wouldn't think about when firs starting out?

TIA
    Sam

Invest in a good saddle. Buy ass chapping powder. Prepare to chap your ass.

Make sure your bike fits you properly and it is set up for your riding style. Dont be a cheap ass on your next bike but dont overpay for a brand new bike.

Comment

Get your bike fitted to you by someone who knows what they are doing. I bought my first road bike on Craigslist. $350 for a Specialized Allez that was a few years old.

Are any of you cyclists skinny guys? I am 5'8" and 125 lbs, so there isn't much back side there. Looking for recommendations on a good saddle and riding shorts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
      Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Stay out of the major roads during peak traffic times please.

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
          Are any of you cyclists skinny guys? I am 5'8" and 125 lbs, so there isn't much back side there. Looking for recommendations on a good saddle and riding shorts.
          It's not about the size of your ass, but the width/location of your sit bones.

Comment

Originally posted by Shorty View Post
            It's not about the size of your ass, but the width/location of your sit bones.
            I did some reading on that and did some "home testing" to measure the approximate distance I needed. The saddle that is on the bike is the right width from what I determined. I was referring more to the lack of "cushion" between my sit bones and the saddle! AKA I am a skinny feller.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
              Invest in a good saddle. Buy ass chapping powder. Prepare to chap your ass.

Make sure your bike fits you properly and it is set up for your riding style. Dont be a cheap ass on your next bike but dont overpay for a brand new bike.
              I assume one could go to a bike shop and see what kind of bike fits me correct?
              And that's one problem I have I don't know what's a good price or a good brand to buy.

Get your bike fitted to you by someone who knows what they are doing. I bought my first road bike on Craigslist. $350 for a Specialized Allez that was a few years old.

That's what I'm doing is looking on CL for one but dot know really what to look for.

Originally posted by Shaggin Wagon View Post
              Stay out of the major roads during peak traffic times please.
              I'm at work before the A.M. rush hour, and still there until after the P.M. rush is over.

Comment

Originally posted by samuel642000 View Post
                I assume one could go to a bike shop and see what kind of bike fits me correct?
                And that's one problem I have I don't know what's a good price or a good brand to buy.

That's what I'm doing is looking on CL for one but dot know really what to look for.

I'm at work before the A.M. rush hour, and still there until after the P.M. rush is over.
                The benefit of buying new is that most shops will include some bike services as well as a basic fit. Stop by when you have time and ride a few and see how you like them.

I am partial to Richardson Bike Mart simply because that is where my dad always went when I was a kid.

Comment

The benefit of buying new is that most shops will include some bike services as well as a basic fit. Stop by when you have time and ride a few and see how you like them.

I am partial to Richardson Bike Mart simply because that is where my dad always went when I was a kid.

Yeah I get that, however if I ride for a month an find out I don't like it , it would be easier to get my money back out of a used bike than new I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by samuel642000 View Post
                    Yeah I get that, however if I ride for a month an find out I don't like it , it would be easier to get my money back out of a used bike than new I would think.
                    Just make sure you visit a bike shop first and get a recommended size. Otherwise buying a used bike may not last long because it doesn't properly fit you.

My old ridding buddy and I were the same height and weight but I had a bigger bike because my legs were longer. It's to your advantage to get some sort of a fitting.
                    Originally posted by Jester
                    Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                    He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                    Originally posted by Denny
                    What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                    FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                      Just make sure you visit a bike shop first and get a recommended size. Otherwise buying a used bike may not last long because it doesn't properly fit you.

My old ridding buddy and I were the same height and weight but I had a bigger bike because my legs were longer. It's to your advantage to get some sort of a fitting.
                      Yeah I have read about that and planned on doing that. This is just new to me and no one I know rides so I don't have anyone to ask basic, where to start, questions.

Comment

Feel free to ask any questions. There are a handful of people here that ride or have ridden in the past.
                        Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.

Comment

Hold your wallet close to you when you go in there. Jim Hoyt has magical powers that will separate you from your money.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                            Hold your wallet close to you when you go in there. Jim Hoyt has magical powers that will separate you from your money.
                            That shit ain't no joke. I went to trade in a Lemond Tourmalet with the plan to pick up a Specialized at no cost, when Jim talked me into a Trek 5200 USPS edition, ultimately costing me another $1500

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                              I have only been once and I talked with Woody. Many a weekend with my dad spent at RBM and Woody wrenching on his bike

Comment

Working...
                              X