Question on working out arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BERT View Post
    yeah but you do that corssfit shit. So i'm sure in some way you're working your arms out
    I'm just saying, fuck isolation lifts. They're boring and inefficient unless you're body building.
    "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
      I'm just saying, fuck isolation lifts. They're boring and inefficient unless you're body building.
      Boring for you maybe, and isolation lifts absolutely have their place in strength training. Focusing on tris and bis will most certainly help you get stronger with bench and rows.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
        Boring for you maybe, and isolation lifts absolutely have their place in strength training. Focusing on tris and bis will most certainly help you get stronger with bench and rows.
        The row is a LOT more legs and back then it is biceps. Working triceps will help you on bench a bit, but bench is supposed to be more chest. Bench also, is a useless lift unless you're going for looks more than function. "What do you bench?" Who cares? A good bench press is about as useful as a poopie-flavored lollipop in real life applications.

Comment

The row is a LOT more legs and back then it is biceps. Working triceps will help you on bench a bit, but bench is supposed to be more chest. Bench also, is a useless lift unless you're going for looks more than function. "What do you bench?" Who cares? A good bench press is about as useful as a poopie-flavored lollipop in real life applications.

Oh god you turned into one of "those" guys

Comment

If you're using more legs and back than bis when doing rows, you're doing it wrong.

You like doing crossfit, cool. I and MANY other guys (OP included) prefer to just bang it out in the gym, and focus on gaining strength that way. I don't play BBall, and personally have never had to jump up on a stack of boxes "in real life." On the other hand, I have dropped a tranny by myself to do a clutch swap, and helped quite a few people move heavy furniture, where my time in the gym became quite useful.

Sounds to me like you're trying to feel better about not being all that strong, by judging those that are. I'm all for anyone working towards their goals in whatever kind of gym they choose to go to, if bodybuilding isn't your thing, there are other threads to add your "useful" insight to.

Comment

If you're using more legs and back than bis when doing rows, you're doing it wrong.

You like doing crossfit, cool. I and MANY other guys (OP included) prefer to just bang it out in the gym, and focus on gaining strength that way. I don't play BBall, and personally have never had to jump up on a stack of boxes "in real life." On the other hand, I have dropped a tranny by myself to do a clutch swap, and helped quite a few people move heavy furniture, where my time in the gym became quite useful.

Sounds to me like you're trying to feel better about not being all that strong, by judging those that are. I'm all for anyone working towards their goals in whatever kind of gym they choose to go to, if bodybuilding isn't your thing, there are other threads to add your "useful" insight to.
              I deadlift 455lbs, clean and jerk 235lbs, and have a strict standing shoulder press of 185lbs. We don't really do bench press much but out of curiosity I did 225lbs for 5 reps which is less than what it used to be but I'll trade that for my other gains.

Comment

As for rows...sorry I was thinking a rowing machine. Not the one where you sit on a bench and pull the weight back.

Comment

I deadlift 455lbs, clean and jerk 235lbs, and have a strict standing shoulder press of 185lbs. We don't really do bench press much but out of curiosity I did 225lbs for 5 reps which is less than what it used to be but I'll trade that for my other gains.
                  Good for you, though in the realm of strength training, which is what this thread is about, those numbers are just a good start.

Next you'll head into a thread about adjusting someone's golf swing, and tell everyone that baseball is so much better and "useful," because running the bases is better than walking a course, or because hitting a moving ball has more real work applications than teeing up. Nobody here is a professional, we are talking about two hobbies that have different levels of enjoyment for different people, for varying reasons.

Comment

Good for you, though in the realm of strength training, which is what this thread is about, those numbers are just a good start.
                    In the realm of "strength training" as far as how I've seen this thread, the OP doesn't deadlift, definitely doesn't do clean and jerk, and shoulder presses are done seated and if with a barbell on a smith machine. While I'm not saying that any of my lifts are world class, I can confidently say that they're better than the typical gym rat. How do I know? I used to be a typical gym rat.

Next you'll head into a thread about adjusting someone's golf swing, and tell everyone that baseball is so much better and "useful," because running the bases is better than walking a course, or because hitting a moving ball has more real work applications than teeing up. Nobody here is a professional, we are talking about two hobbies that have different levels of enjoyment for different people, for varying reasons.
                    What are you talking about? I compared a style of weight training to a different style of weight training.

Comment

In the realm of "strength training" as far as how I've seen this thread, the OP doesn't deadlift, definitely doesn't do clean and jerk, and shoulder presses are done seated and if with a barbell on a smith machine. While I'm not saying that any of my lifts are world class, I can confidently say that they're better than the typical gym rat. How do I know? I used to be a typical gym rat.

What are you talking about? I compared a style of weight training to a different style of weight training.

not all the time, just most

Comment

I'm talking about your comment that your training is more "useful" than static weight training. Unless you are training for something specific such as a particular sport or athletic event, then both types of training are nothing more than a hobby, like any other recreational sport or activity. The advice given and goals for one hobby don't necessarily fit those of another, nor is one better than the other in any sense, other than opinion and personal goals.

Apples and oranges really, pick the one that tastes better to you.

On the flip side, physical conditioning of any kind could be considered useless by a business professional that spends his or her time in suits and meetings, and prefers to spend their leisure time on relaxing activities that require no physical exertion. Time in the gym for them is time away from family, the golf course, travel, massages, etc. They see it as completely pointless to wake up sore.

My point being, get off your high-horse.

Comment

But I can lift that high horse over my head! Point taken.

Whenever I did more traditional workouts I would do the back and bi day. Usually three to four different things. I would usually try and do wide grip pull ups with bicep curls, reverse grip pullups (chin ups), hammer curls, and then if you're at the gym where the pull up bars have the lateral grip or parallel grip(like a hammer curl grip, not sure what it's called) I would do those and like a seated row. I would do the pullups if unassisted until I couldn't do any more which would only be like 6-10 and then the curls or rows would be 12-15. Usually three sets of alternating sets.

For triceps, it was basically the same concept, something heavy for a few reps followed by something light. Like body weight dips followed by tricep extentions. Or narrow "grip" bench press followed by overhead tricep extentions with a band. As far as working out my arms, they'd be pretty fucked after a workout and into the next day and maybe even another. It was when I worked at 24 hour fitness with a lot of personal trainers so they'd all give me different ideas.

Comment

But I can lift that high horse over my head! Point taken.

Whenever I did more traditional workouts I would do the back and bi day. Usually three to four different things. I would usually try and do wide grip pull ups with bicep curls, reverse grip pullups (chin ups), hammer curls, and then if you're at the gym where the pull up bars have the lateral grip or parallel grip(like a hammer curl grip, not sure what it's called) I would do those and like a seated row. I would do the pullups if unassisted until I couldn't do any more which would only be like 6-10 and then the curls or rows would be 12-15. Usually three sets of alternating sets.

For triceps, it was basically the same concept, something heavy for a few reps followed by something light. Like body weight dips followed by tricep extentions. Or narrow "grip" bench press followed by overhead tricep extentions with a band. As far as working out my arms, they'd be pretty fucked after a workout and into the next day and maybe even another. It was when I worked at 24 hour fitness with a lot of personal trainers so they'd all give me different ideas.

So THAT'S how you hurt your back. I thought it was from falling off your high horse lol j/k poopnut

and yes, I just wanted to say poopnut

Comment

Working...
                            X