Any triathletes on here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any triathletes on here

Probably do a few small races but main one next year is IMTX. Anyone else on here do any?

I did 3 sprints two seasons ago to see if I could. A buddy talked me into it. I was surprised at how I placed in my age bracket. Distances are 300-400m swim, 14 mile bike, and 5k run. I never was much of a swimmer, but with some training, I managed ok. Hadn't run in years (about 25), but got down to 8 min miles. Made up a lot of time on the bike, because I've spent a lot of time on them for years. Transitions can make or break you, and I spent a lot of time just practicing them in the driveway. I was 51 when I did my first. It was fun and challenging. I recommend it for someone looking for a little cross-training to change things up.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
      I did 3 sprints two seasons ago to see if I could. A buddy talked me into it. I was surprised at how I placed in my age bracket. Distances are 300-400m swim, 14 mile bike, and 5k run. I never was much of a swimmer, but with some training, I managed ok. Hadn't run in years (about 25), but got down to 8 min miles. Made up a lot of time on the bike, because I've spent a lot of time on them for years. Transitions can make or break you, and I spent a lot of time just practicing them in the driveway. I was 51 when I did my first. It was fun and challenging. I recommend it for someone looking for a little cross-training to change things up.
      I did a sprint in Waco for my first (and only) tri in May.
      Was just getting into road biking so only had about 2-3 training on a bike.
      Got second in my division and third over all. Pretty damned fun. Also, a lot of people have no idea what they're doing.
      DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Buddy of mine talked me into doing this one... It'll be my first ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
          Buddy of mine talked me into doing this one... It'll be my first ever.

http://www.kemahtriathlon.com/#!home/mainPage
          That looks like a lot of fun. Too bad I can't swim. lol

I did the Kemah 10k last September.

MySpace Tracker

Comment

500 meters in a wet suit wouldn't be bad with a little training. I'll bet a mile in the bay would take me 40 minutes of misery.

Comment

It is all about consistency in training. I did two with hardly any training and did ok, top 10% in age group at larger races. Decided I would step up to longer stuff and got a coach since I knew I would kill myself. Got a top 10 finish last year, second in age group, at a larger race. After IMTX this year I will probably drop down to Olympics, maybe halfs to get my speed up.

Kemah is good but last year there was so much wind they did not do the bike portion which sucks. CB&I in the Woodlands is a great first race and a great venue. Spectators do not have to walk more than 100 yards to see the transitions and finish line.

If anyone needs some help or has some questions let me know. I write plans and coach several of my friends but not for money. I don't like a lot of the free training plans online as they are not that flexible and it helps when you have to report to someone.

Comment

I've done a few including to halves. I'm doing Austin this year. I will do IMTX in '15 and Galveston in '15 as well. I'm out of shape after taking time off with the wife and newborn. I will be back in the gym in a week or so and get back at it.

I could do a sprint triathlon any day now. It's Olympics and longer that take some prep. You sure can't fake the long ones. IM distance is no joke. Halves are hard enough, but IM that's a whole different thing..... if were easy they'd call it something else.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyS View Post
                  I've done a few including to halves. I'm doing Austin this year. I will do IMTX in '15 and Galveston in '15 as well. I'm out of shape after taking time off with the wife and newborn. I will be back in the gym in a week or so and get back at it.

I could do a sprint triathlon any day now. It's Olympics and longer that take some prep. You sure can't fake the long ones. IM distance is no joke. Halves are hard enough, but IM that's a whole different thing..... if were easy they'd call it something else.
                  It takes a special person to complete an IM.
                  DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Anyone can do an IM, takes about 6-8 months for people to safely work up to the fitness required. My wife went from not being able to run a half mile to finishing IM Florida.

Comment

Yes doing an IM is all about doing the training / work. There are no secrets. Ask Hines Ward.

Comment

Yes doing an IM is all about doing the training / work. There are no secrets. Ask Hines Ward.
                        His whole deal was pretty funny, had never run more than a mile before starting to train, obviously he is good shape though...

The GF did a half IM this year after finishing a couple of sprints and Olympics. She had never run a half marathon until that race, but there was plenty of training.

Comment

Originally posted by no4njnk View Post
                          Anyone can do an IM, takes about 6-8 months for people to safely work up to the fitness required. My wife went from not being able to run a half mile to finishing IM Florida.
                          Man, thats insane. Isn't it a full marathon and 100M bike ride? I could ride 100 miles, but i sure cant get close to jogging a marathon. AND ALL THAT AFTER FINISHING SOME LUDICROUS SWIM.
                          DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                            Man, thats insane. Isn't it a full marathon and 100M bike ride? I could ride 100 miles, but i sure cant get close to jogging a marathon. AND ALL THAT AFTER FINISHING SOME LUDICROUS SWIM.
                            Some are 112 miles. 2.5 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and a marathon.

Comment

Ironman - 2.4 mile swim / 112 mile bike / 26.2 run
                              Half Ironman - 1.2 mile swim / 56 mile bike / 13.1 run
                              Olympic (most) - 1500 meter swim / 24 mile bike / 6.2 run
                              Sprint (not set distances) - 300-800 meter swim / 12-16 mile bike / 3.1 run

Comment

Working...
                              X