working out the soreness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• working out the soreness

Whenever I change up my routine or have a gap in training I get sore, as everyone else does. I stretch, soak in a tub, take bcaa's, eat a banana whatever to help combat it.

When I played ball we were always up at the field house first thing the next morning after a game to lift. They were high rep, low weight (60%/max), high intensity sessions that our coaches insisted helped with the soreness. Their reasoning behind the routine is that after a high intensity session, or Friday night game, the cells in our body burn sugar and produce lactic acid which is where the soreness comes from and working the same muscle groups will help "flush it out". Is there any truth to that?

It did help but now that I'm older I'm wondering if doing this type of routine will result in injury or be detrimental to training without having a recovery period? I understand my diet is a key factor here.
    The richest man in Babylon

Comment

Foam roller +1. Or big pvc pipe from home depot. Put weight on sore area utilizing the PVC pipe and if its an extemety, articulate that part of your body.

Example: Your quads are really sore from those squats you did. Place foam roller on floor, lay down (face down) with your quads on the foam roller. Roll back and forth to loosen the tissue and fascia and to get the blood flowing. When you find those realllyyyy sore spots, like the ones that almost make you tear when you hit them, stop there. Stay on that sore spot and begin to articulate your leg below your knee. This will stretch the muscle allowing you to get blood flow to those tight areas that would be choked off otherwise. This will be uncomfortable, that is okay, but you will speed your recovery time greatly.

Other than that you're doing it right. If youre THAT sore, a glass of red wine and a hot epsom salt soak in the tub will help.

Comment

If you can afford it, daily massages are a great way to minimize soreness. It's the same premise as the foam roller, but using a masseuse to do the "rolling."

I have never not worked a muscle group due to soreness, though when working each body part only twice a week, there is usually enough time in between to heal. Daily cardio, stretching the muscles that I am working, and regular soaks in the hot tub help to minimize soreness as well.

Working out sore muscles isn't detrimental, the body is quite resilient, and adapts to the stresses that you put on it. Endurance athletes do it regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
          If you can afford it, daily massages are a great way to minimize soreness. It's the same premise as the foam roller, but using a masseuse to do the "rolling."

I have never not worked a muscle group due to soreness, though when working each body part only twice a week, there is usually enough time in between to heal. Daily cardio, stretching the muscles that I am working, and regular soaks in the hot tub help to minimize soreness as well.

Working out sore muscles isn't detrimental, the body is quite resilient, and adapts to the stresses that you put on it. Endurance athletes do it regularly.
          Unfortunately I've been working out of town for the better part of the past year and in the sticks none the less. The only gym here is a planet fitness, if you can even call it a gym. They have those massage chairs there but I already feel feminine enough just walking into the place.

Comment

Originally posted by trblshooter View Post
            Unfortunately I've been working out of town for the better part of the past year and in the sticks none the less. The only gym here is a planet fitness, if you can even call it a gym. They have those massage chairs there but I already feel feminine enough just walking into the place.
            LOL, careful with that LUNK alarm and don't go on pizza night!

Comment

Originally posted by stangin4lyfe View Post
              LOL, careful with that LUNK alarm and don't go on pizza night!
              If I go in the evenings instead of before work there's at least some decent looking squirrel walking around. Other than that the only good thing about it is it's close enough I can jog to and from there for a decent warm up/cool down

Comment

Foam rolling should be a part of every warm up. It's fucking boring, but it works. Also, what you eat/drink in between workouts can make a big difference. Less salt, more water. A dehydrated muscle is a sore muscle.
                "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Lacrosse balls work great for the deep stuff.

Comment

Fuck'en A, I forgot I have a foam roller in the back bedroom, and today was leg day. Gonna go bust it out now!

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                      Fuck'en A, I forgot I have a foam roller in the back bedroom, and today was leg day. Gonna go bust it out now!
                      Af far as legs go, a light jog or brisk walk should take care of them as well.
                      "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

I do triathlons now but I did lift weights most of my life until now. I still do but not to the extent I did in the past. I gain muscle easily and if I lift more than once a week I get bigger than I want.

Buy a few lacrosse balls and keep them around the house. When you are sitting on the coach massage the areas you have been working on.

Massages are great but costly, during the season I try to get one a week leading up to a race. Make sure you get a sports massage, not a deep tissue or regular massage. Sports massages help get the lactic acid out of your system, lengthen the muscles, and they often stretch you out a bit.

I foam roll every night or two, mostly legs and hips. I have a calf that tends to get tight and this seems to be one of the few things to keep it loose.

For me I do not take a day off when sore, I focus on active recovery. That means doing a real easy 20-30 min run, 45 min swim, or 30-45 min bike. Seems to get the lactic acid out of the system better than taking a day off.

I swear by this stuff for buffering lactic acid but have never tried it during a weigh lifting cycle, only triathlon training. First Endurance Optygen HP 2013, expensive but I have noticed decreased recovery time from last year.

Comment

Hydrate.

Drink lots of water, especially after a massage.

Comment

Working...
                          X