Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water

So I have been drinking nothing but water for the past 2 weeks. No teas, sodas, milk, etc. I've probably drank more water this past 2 weeks than the past 2 years combined. And I must say, I haven't noticed any change what-so-ever. Haven't even had to piss more than usual.

I used to drink a lot of sweet tea and Powerade, sometimes a soda.

Haven't stepped on a scale to see if I dropped any of my 334lbs yet, but I haven't noticed a physical change in appearance, or how I feel.

Is drinking nothing but water supposed to make you feel different/better? I don't plan on stopping anytime soon, but if there's no significant benefit from it, why do it?

Suck on >this<, Batman!
    "We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

You will but it will generally be linear. Also there is such thing as "to much," by depleting your electrolytes, especially if you are working out.

You wont notice a phsyical change for a while, especially at that weight (no offense), but the change is there I promise you that. Your body is adapting and once it starts running more efficiently you will notice a change, especially in your energy levels. To top that off it will help with bowel movements, blood vessel dialation, recovery time, mental clarity, etc etc.

Comment

how much water per day?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny46 View Post
        You will but it will generally be linear. Also there is such thing as "to much," by depleting your electrolytes, especially if you are working out.

You wont notice a phsyical change for a while, especially at that weight (no offense), but the change is there I promise you that. Your body is adapting and once it starts running more efficiently you will notice a change, especially in your energy levels. To top that off it will help with bowel movements, blood vessel dialation, recovery time, mental clarity, etc etc.
        I hate hearing people say this because then others get scared of drinking a measly gallon of water daily. I drink NOTHING but water daily and consume 1-2 gallons day in and day out and in the gym 6 days a week religiously.

Technically yes you can reach water intoxication and it is caused by hypernatremia (the dilution of sodium in the body).

However, the average kidney can process about 15 liters of water a day, so most likely you're going to be fine drinking all you can possibly drink.
        Unless of course you drink a large amount(couple gallons or 32-8oz cups) in a very short amount of time(hr or so), or you are running a marathon.
        Last edited by stangin4lyfe; 03-21-2014, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CWO View Post
          how much water per day?
          All of it

Comment

Well you're eliminating empty calories out of your diet. Having two 12oz cans/day of Dr. Pepper over a year is = 31lbs of fat.

Comment

hah, I was asking the OP, as in how much water is he drinking?

Comment

Originally posted by stangin4lyfe View Post
                I hate hearing people say this because then others get scared of drinking a measly gallon of water daily. I drink NOTHING but water daily and consume 1-2 gallons day in and day out and in the gym 6 days a week religiously.

Technically yes you can reach water intoxication and it is caused by hypernatremia (the dilution of sodium in the body).

However, the average kidney can process about 15 liters of water a day, so most likely you're going to be fine drinking all you can possibly drink.
                Unless of course you drink a large amount(couple gallons or 32-8oz cups) in a very short amount of time(hr or so), or you are running a marathon.
                Eh, while I do not think anything is wrong with 1-2 gallons a day, I dont agree with all of that. YOU may be able to drink a lot, but your body is acclimated. For someone who is not used to that, going from junk drinks to nothing but water (and a lot of it) can cause a loss of electrolytes. Now is it going to hurt or kill him? No, more thank likely not unless he drinks 2 gallons in ten minutes, but the loss of elecrolytes can mess with his feeling of well being, his energy levels and the intensity of his workouts which is harder on someone who is not used to doing it in the first place.

You are right though, the "to much water" thing can be misinterpreted into "dont drink a lot" and is misunderstood, along the lines of people not working out hard because they do not want to "get big."

Comment

Originally posted by Danny46 View Post
                  Eh, while I do not think anything is wrong with 1-2 gallons a day, I dont agree with all of that. YOU may be able to drink a lot, but your body is acclimated. For someone who is not used to that, going from junk drinks to nothing but water (and a lot of it) can cause a loss of electrolytes. Now is it going to hurt or kill him? No, more thank likely not unless he drinks 2 gallons in ten minutes, but the loss of elecrolytes can mess with his feeling of well being, his energy levels and the intensity of his workouts which is harder on someone who is not used to doing it in the first place.

You are right though, the "to much water" thing can be misinterpreted into "dont drink a lot" and is misunderstood, along the lines of people not working out hard because they do not want to "get big."
                  I agree, but my solution would be to grab some salt, some sort of citrus fruit(orange, lemon, lime, etc), and a banana and use the water as the carrier for a quick replenishment.

Comment

Right now, I stop at Sonic and get a rt44 icewater on my way to work, and I will go through 4-5 refills, and then a couple glasses at home. On my days off I dont drink that much.

Suck on >this<, Batman!
                    "We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I'm certain that with a massive reduction in sugar intake, just from beverages alone you will see results very quickly.
                      DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

At 334lbs I'd say that drinking more water is just the beginning of more changes that need to happen.
                        "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
                          At 334lbs I'd say that drinking more water is just the beginning of more changes that need to happen.
                          I agree more changes need to be made. I figured, knowing myself the way I do, I'd start with something fairly simple like going the "nothing but water" route, sticking to that first, and then work my way up to altering/changing my diet, exercising, etc, than to try to make all of those changes at once and only being able to stick with it for a week or two. Trying to set myself up for success than failure again.

I was a steady 265 in highschool, and dropped down to 235 12 years ago.
                          I'm also 6'1" with a considerable amount of muscle on a broad/medium frame, so it's not like I'm the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

But yes, I need to make more changes.

Comment

Originally posted by asphaltjunkie View Post
                            I agree more changes need to be made. I figured, knowing myself the way I do, I'd start with something fairly simple like going the "nothing but water" route, sticking to that first, and then work my way up to altering/changing my diet, exercising, etc, than to try to make all of those changes at once and only being able to stick with it for a week or two. Trying to set myself up for success than failure again.

I was a steady 265 in highschool, and dropped down to 235 12 years ago.
                            I'm also 6'1" with a considerable amount of muscle on a broad/medium frame, so it's not like I'm the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

But yes, I need to make more changes.
                            Gradual changes are better than no changes at all!
                            Setting smaller goals will help you achieve longer and larger ones in the long run.
                            Keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by jdgregory84 View Post
                              Way to not come off like a condescending jackass.
                              Originally posted by BradM
                              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                              Originally posted by Leah
                              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Working...
                              X