Bike advice for a fatty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike advice for a fatty

So I'm wanting to get back into bike riding, something I haven't actively done since I was 15 (17 years ago). About 8-9 years ago I picked up a walmart special mountain bike, rode it around for about 20 minutes and proceeded to break it. Main problem: it was a walmart special. I get that. But my weight (at the time was around 280) and the power with which I pedal broke the cheap ass chain and fucked up the rear derailer. Plus, it was a "full suspension" bike, and with my fat ass on it, if constantly felt like I was riding on flat tires, even with solid tubes in it. Plus the damn thing just didn't fit me very well.

Now, I've done a bit of googling, and found out there are several different sized frames, and what parts of the bike are adjustable (like the handlebars so my knees don't hit them when I make a turn), etc etc. I've heard the best thing to do is find a used quality bike on the cheap-ish side and not spend a shit-ton of money on a brand new one, should I ever say fuck it and stay a fatty.

My main question is, since I now weigh around 320-330, should I stick to a solid frame, no suspension bike, or would I be better off with some form of suspension system? My initial plans are to ride around the neighborhood streets until I don't feel like a monkey fucking a football anymore, and regain the riding abilities I once had, and then start hitting light/easy trails and working my way up.

Also, should I stick to regular tubes, or would I be ok with solid tubes? I know they give a stiffer ride, but other than that, are there any drawbacks?

And finally, will a bike shop let me just come in, and get fitted for a bike, without buying their god-awfully priced bikes? I would assume they would, but since I've never set foot in a bike shop, figured I'd ask.
    "We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Buy a Harley and say fuck it
    "Yeeeeehhhhhaaaaawwwww that's my jam"

Comment

Get a longboard instead
      WH

Comment

Personally I would go with a hardtail, and if possible try to pick up a used trek, giant, specialized, etc. brand. I know they are more money, but there are dramatic differences in quality over the typical big box store bikes. Buying used you will be able to turn around and sell it for what you have in it most of the time.

I've never used solid tubes, but I will saying going tubeless was worth it on the MTB.

Most bike shops will provide a free fitting with purchase, or they will fit you for a fee if you just bring your own bike in. A basic fitting is usually pretty affordable.
        I would go to a few bike shops and see what used bikes they have.

Comment

Originally posted by jakesford View Post
          Personally I would go with a hardtail, and if possible try to pick up a used trek, giant, specialized, etc. brand. I know they are more money, but there are dramatic differences in quality over the typical big box store bikes. Buying used you will be able to turn around and sell it for what you have in it most of the time.

I've never used solid tubes, but I will saying going tubeless was worth it on the MTB.

Most bike shops will provide a free fitting with purchase, or they will fit you for a fee if you just bring your own bike in. A basic fitting is usually pretty affordable.
          I would go to a few bike shops and see what used bikes they have.
          Thank you for a serious reply.
          "We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Find a used reputable brand like the ones mentioned and then drop some coin on heavy duty rims if you plan to actually ride trails. I took a friend out to ride trails for the first time who was around your size and the first big downhill he tacoed the factory rim on a trek. I'm partial to Specialized, I've got a hardtail and full suspension and both are great.

Comment

Originally posted by asphaltjunkie View Post
              Thank you for a serious reply.
              Well i was serious I wouldnt want you to think i wasnt

Ever since i started longboarding i have lost some weight and I have more energy. It requires you always balancing and its really fun! Plus theyre not that expensive you can get a high end one for $180-220
              WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                Well i was serious I wouldnt want you to think i wasnt

Ever since i started longboarding i have lost some weight and I have more energy. It requires you always balancing and its really fun! Plus theyre not that expensive you can get a high end one for $180-220
                Ah. Sorry I didn't realize that was a serious reply. I've never had any luck what-so-ever in my brief dealings with anything skateboard related. My sense of balance in that area is extremely lacking. Plus my knees, ankles, wrists, and elbows aren't up for that kind of abuse/learning curve.

Comment

Yeah i should have added more to that post. But I understand. But the thing to know about longboards is that they are way more stable than a skateboard. You will notice the wheels are much larger and wider apart. They are is if a skateboard was made just for cruising.

And the board is of course, wider and longer. I hate skateboards i wont touch them cause I just fall off. But longboards are so much more stable and you can actually turn a lot better on them. Imo they should have been invented instead of skateboards

Now of course there will be some learning to balance but you learn it in about 10-30 minutes. Just dont get going too fast until you're real experienced because then you start getting board wobble and that can make you fall off.
                  WH

Comment

I bought a cheapy mountain bike at Academy, primary to ride with the kids as I think any desire to ride anything serious offroad will come with a 2 stroke. It rides fine, other than the seat treating me like a prison bitch, so I'd recommend a different seat as the first upgrade.

Comment

Look at a used Specialized Hardrock.

Get one in your appropriate size and ride away. You will not break it and it will last you a long long time in stock condition. You may want some custom built wheels to beat on as they will be your weak point.

You really aren't too heavy to be riding right now. You will find hills are a real bitch, but every pound you lose will help.

I'm about to be recovering from torn meniscus surgery so if you want someone to ride with you some this summer, I will do it. I'm going to do some very long rides later this summer, but I would be happy to ride 5 to 10 miles with you until you are ready to go further pretty often. I typically do a short ride with my wife and anyone else that wants to come, and then for the remainder of the time I drop the hammer and get in the work I need to get done.

It doesn't matter what kind of bike you ride, just ride. It is one of the best and most fun forms of exercise ever conceived.

Comment

Working...
                      X