some ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some ?'s

So I have been working out and eating right (and not drinking a case a night haha) since April of this year. I have lost 31 pounds total I weighed 167.6 this morning.
    I am 5"11
    I guess my questions are these.

Do I need to up my carbs? I don't want to get huge but putting on a little mass will not hurt my feelings.

Meals
    Wake up 8oz egg whites with 3/4 oatmeal.
    2 hrs later 6 oz lean meat usually turkey or chicken, with a cup of rice or noodles or a sweet potato and 1 cup veggies.
    2 hrs later the same as above.
    2 hrs later protein shake
    2 hrs later same meal as above just with 1/2 a cup of starch
    Last meal 8 oz egg whites 2 cups veggies.

never going more than 3 hrs between meals

Yes I know I am eating stuff to go lean which I like but I want to stay around 175. Is that something you would consider changing or just let the weights do there job to get bigger?

Also I work 12 hr shifts 6 days a week, I work out after I get off. I have heard people say to go before you work. Does it really make a difference. I prefer working out after.

I do little cardio, just alot of core and jump roping and jumping jacks.

Most of my work out is 12 reps X 4, working everything.

I like the changes I have seen but would like to get bigger. I know it's only been 3 months lol, but any input would be great.

also, what days do you work what together,
    I usually do
    Bris/tris
    Chest/back
    Shoulders/legs

Usually in the gym 5 days a week sometimes less,

Thanks guys.

You want to put on mass, but dont want to get huge?
    Are you planning on taking juice?

Comment

Yep I don't want to be huge

No sir

Comment

Originally posted by silverranger View Post
        Yep I don't want to be huge
        This is the #1 excuse guys give for half-assing it at the gym, or not going often. You could train with the intensity of Dorian Yates or Ronnie Coleman for years and not tip 180lbs, if your diet is in check.

Unless you go super drastic, changes to your diet and/or exercise regimen take weeks and months to show up in physical form. Don't be afraid to experiment, you won't get super fat or super fit overnight. I would suggest adding in more protein with eyes, primarily as fish, chicken, or turkey, with some lean red meat once a week or so. Shakes should be considered supplement, not a replacement. Add in some yams or rice for more carbs. with the biggest serving post work-out.

To answer you specifically about adding carbs, you need to count your calories before you can answer that. It's simple math, to grow you need to eat more than you burn. At your size I would start at 2,500 a day, and adjust in a few week, depending on your results.

On the lifting, it's always best to change it up every few months, both for keeping it interesting, and to keep your body guessing. I'll do push/pull days like you described for 3-5 months, where you alternate opposing compound movements. Then change to working the primary and supporting muscles together, chest and tris, back and bis, shoulders and traps, and legs have always been on their own day regardless of the rest. Change your rep range every 2-3 weeks, and for fucks sake push yourself, you won't wake up one morning unable to wipe your ass because of these monstrous lats that popped up the night before.

Comment

To further A's post, I would strongly suggest cutting out any high intensity cardio. Jump-rope, jumping jacks etc. burn calories. Your body responds to calories in/calories out: so you're not eating enough or doing too much cardio. I would convert the cardio to a 20-30 minute walk. Not a jog, but a walk. It's enough to stimulate the metabolism and promote a less muscle-eating calorie vacuum.
          Originally posted by PGreenCobra
          I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
          Originally posted by Trip McNeely
          Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
          dont downshift!!
          Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

I was hoping you two would get in here.

Big A when I say huge I don't want to look like Arnold lol. I do push myself hard every time I go in and I do like the results I am seeing.

My biggest problem is my diet, when you say eat big after working out that is what confuses me. I go to bed after I work out. (i work nights) so by the time I get home I have been up for 17 to 18 hrs. I have heard that you don't want to eat big before you go to sleep. Again this is all new to me so any help with that would be great.

Don, this is probably a stupid ? But how in the hell do you count calories on everything you eat?

I can do a walk the pups would probably like that.

Comment

I personally will drink a protein shake right before bed when bulking, and I've read about pros that will set an alarm to feed themselves in the middle of the night. Going to bed on an empty stomach after training hard is completely counter-productive, your body heals itself and grows at night, and needs fuel and nutrition to do it.

Without knowing your specific calorie count, I still say that you are under-eating for any kind of bulking cycle, and when I say bulking, I don't mean Ahnuld. Bulking is simply a term for eating a caloric surplus which allows your muscles to grow. The pros eat closer to 10k calories a day, and purportedly take anabolic substances, without those two things the average guy with good genetics will be lucky to hit a lean 200lbs. There are exceptions to that, but given your current stature, you aren't it. Train hard and heavy, eat lots of clean calories, and grow. If you start accumulating more fat than you like, then cut back the calories.

To count calories and macros read the labels, and look everything else up on the web. In todays health-conscious society even fast food menus have nutritional info on them.

Comment

You can gain mass without eating too any calories but it's slow and very very difficult.

I'm 5'10 and 195lbs and very far from huge.

Comment

I figured the egg whites and veggies were enough I take a a shake right after work out then 45 minutes later the egg whites.

This shit can get confusing.

If I am under eating I can't imagine how much guys that are bulking eat lol.

The only fat I have left is around my stomach

Comment

Mid intensity cardio and heavy weights are your trick

Comment

Originally posted by silverranger View Post
                      I figured the egg whites and veggies were enough I take a a shake right after work out then 45 minutes later the egg whites.

This shit can get confusing.

If I am under eating I can't imagine how much guys that are bulking eat lol.

The only fat I have left is around my stomach
                      Put a teaspoon of olive oil in your shakes before bed. Complex carbs, that spike in fat and a protein surplus while you sleep will help; try to err on the side of more protein during the day to let the big muscles eat, too.

Now, as for 'counting every calorie', it's really simple. Look up each and every thing you eat aside from water LOL yeah it sucks getting used to it.
                      Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                      I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                      Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                      Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                      dont downshift!!
                      Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Wife and I use a Myfitnesspal app which has record of about every food under the sun and makes counting easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                          Mid intensity cardio and heavy weights are your trick
                          awesome thank you sir.

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                          Put a teaspoon of olive oil in your shakes before bed. Complex carbs, that spike in fat and a protein surplus while you sleep will help; try to err on the side of more protein during the day to let the big muscles eat, too.

How many more oz's do you suggest I bump it up to? Or can you give me a better idea of what to eat. Tonight was lean turkey veggies and sweet potato. X3

Now, as for 'counting every calorie', it's really simple. Look up each and every thing you eat aside from water LOL yeah it sucks getting used to it.
                          Lol yeah it will
                          Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                          Wife and I use a Myfitnesspal app which has record of about every food under the sun and makes counting easy.
                          Awesome thank you

Comment

Your location says crowley, but last time we spoke you werent living there, right?
                            If youre back in crowley you should join ifit. Shit is $10.99 a month. I'm there weekdays at about 5pm.
                            DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

Yeah i am NRH, but will be back in crowley for two weeks in July. I will look into it and see if I can work something out while I am there for that time.

Comment

Working...
                              X