Motivation /Tracking Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chuckacosta View Post
    A 5K at around 24!? Damn that's booking it! I did 3.5 miles on the treadmill yesterday in about 41mins.
    Haha I guess that's subjective because I'd still consider myself slow. My 5K yesterday was 25:48 an that wasn't really trying for a consistent goal because I was interval training. In my age group most guys are pretty fast. Plus I've only been training for more than a few hundred yards for 8 or 9 months now.

Comment

• Originally posted by ImayBblack View Post
      New to this thread.

So I decided to hire a personal trainer for five months. We measured me in last week and I was 130lbs and sitting at 18% BMI. My goal is to get to 15% BMI and gain 10 lbs of muscle. This way I look toned and healthy. Since I'm not that far from my goal, he seems to think it will take a couple of months. I will update as I go along. I'm actually excited about being able to work out again and feeling 10x better already.
      Good luck! Are you going by BMI or body fat percent? It kinda looks like you have them mixed together there. Maybe this is something new I don't even know about

Comment

• Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
        Good luck! Are you going by BMI or body fat percent? It kinda looks like you have them mixed together there. Maybe this is something new I don't even know about
        Thanks you!
        BMI is body mass, but your body fat is calculated into that. At least that is what i understood.
        See you later...

Comment

Thanks you!
          BMI is body mass, but your body fat is calculated into that. At least that is what i understood.
          Ok, I see what you were getting at. It's a great measure for a starting workout routine. But when you start building muscle, your BMI will go up. I'm considered overweight by BMI if that puts it into perspective (I'm about 11% body fat however).

This is a great place for questions so ask all you can! But of course it's DFWM so there will be shit here and there. However Stangin does a great job moderating.

Comment

Ok, I see what you were getting at. It's a great measure for a starting workout routine. But when you start building muscle, your BMI will go up. I'm considered overweight by BMI if that puts it into perspective (I'm about 11% body fat however).

This is a great place for questions so ask all you can! But of course it's DFWM so there will be shit here and there. However Stangin does a great job moderating.
            I guess i understood it wrong then. I will make him explain it better. Maybe it was my body fat % to 15. I never really care about the number as long as i look ok. This just seems to be what he thinks will make me look toned without looking like a butch lol. I'm fairly tall so 125 or less makes me look a little too skinny... IMO
            See you later...

Comment

I guess i understood it wrong then. I will make him explain it better. Maybe it was my body fat % to 15. I never really care about the number as long as i look ok. This just seems to be what he thinks will make me look toned without looking like a butch lol. I'm fairly tall so 125 or less makes me look a little too skinny... IMO
              Haha yeah theres alot to learn but it's all fun. I'm not sure what your build is so im not sure how easy you will butch out. And that's why the mirror test works so well, I hit my number goals and still need a bit more fine tuning as dictated by my mirror.

Comment

Haha yeah theres alot to learn but it's all fun. I'm not sure what your build is so im not sure how easy you will butch out. And that's why the mirror test works so well, I hit my number goals and still need a bit more fine tuning as dictated by my mirror.
                I will post a pic later.
                See you later...

Comment

• So here's a question...my big toes start to go numb after about 20 minutes on the eliptical. I'm trying to keep my back straight and focus on form, but it's natural for my heel to lift on the upstroke and I think that's putting pressue on my toes. I try to shift some weight, but my calves start burning within a bout a minute.

It's not awful, and I think I'm just restricting circulation while I'm working out, but would different shoes help? I'm just wearing some Nike cross training cheapos right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by JasonRR View Post
                    So here's a question...my big toes start to go numb after about 20 minutes on the eliptical. I'm trying to keep my back straight and focus on form, but it's natural for my heel to lift on the upstroke and I think that's putting pressue on my toes. I try to shift some weight, but my calves start burning within a bout a minute.

It's not awful, and I think I'm just restricting circulation while I'm working out, but would different shoes help? I'm just wearing some Nike cross training cheapos right now.
                    My feet always fall asleep on ellipticals as well as my girl friends. I think it's just the manner in which your feet never lose contact with the "pedals" or whatever they're called.

Comment

Thanks you!
                      If he used this method to calculate your bodyfat %, ask him/her to do a skinfold test instead.

Reasoning why...
                      1) The BMI test is highly inaccurate.
                      2) The BMI test merely compares your height vs. weight ratio and does not take into account where your weight comes from (fat vs. muscle).

A lot of ex-military people like this method, but the main reasons it is taught in the military is because it's quick and cost effective.

Comment

• Originally posted by stangin4lyfe View Post
                        If he used this method to calculate your bodyfat %, ask him/her to do a skinfold test instead.

Reasoning why...
                        1) The BMI test is highly inaccurate.
                        2) The BMI test merely compares your height vs. weight ratio and does not take into account where your weight comes from (fat vs. muscle).

A lot of ex-military people like this method, but the main reasons it is taught in the military is because it's quick and cost effective.
                        He is taking all measurements tomorrow. Not looking forward to it at all.
                        See you later...

Comment

• Originally posted by JasonRR View Post
                          So here's a question...my big toes start to go numb after about 20 minutes on the eliptical. I'm trying to keep my back straight and focus on form, but it's natural for my heel to lift on the upstroke and I think that's putting pressue on my toes. I try to shift some weight, but my calves start burning within a bout a minute.

I have to adjust my feet on my ellipitical throughout the time I spend on it to avoid this. It drives me crazy too.

Comment

• Here is a picture from a couple of weeks ago. Nothing has changed other than about 5lbs lost. I cant wait for the tubby belly to go away!!

See you later...

Comment

My feet always fall asleep on ellipticals as well as my girl friends. I think it's just the manner in which your feet never lose contact with the "pedals" or whatever they're called.
                              My left foot and only my left goes to sleep when I run on the treadmill. I can hit pause and shake it out for 20 seconds or so every 10-15 minutes.

Hopefully when I get home next week I can find some new shoes to help with this.

Update on me. I am down to 185 and only 6 more to go to see the 170's. I have just at a week before I leave though. 7 more workout days (4 cardio and 3 weights).

My calories are up to 1100 a day but I am still limiting myself to pre-packaged food sold in our PX. I am taking in as much protein as I can and as few grams of fat as possible. So far I have put on some good muscle and picked up a lot of strength since 31 March. I took some comparison pictures and put my 31 March next to my 26 April poses and I can tell a huge difference. I can only image what another month will bring. (Barring I don't over eat on our cruise next week)
                              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

• Originally posted by kbscobravert View Post
                                My left foot and only my left goes to sleep when I run on the treadmill. I can hit pause and shake it out for 20 seconds or so every 10-15 minutes.
                                Are you wearing Nike air max 360s? And congrats on the progress! Sounds like you're doing very well.

Comment

Working...
                                X