Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Work says a desktop cimputer upgrade isn't necessary....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by momostallion View Post
    yea, wifi + network databases is a poor choice.
    Especially Access!
    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
    HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

The PC doesn't look too horrible, see if you can't at least upgrade to 3GB of ram, that will help some.

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU
      T7250 @ 2.00GHz
      1.99GHz, 2.99 GB of RAM

I get around just fine on mine and I am a heavy heavy user of excel.

Comment

We (engineers at work and I) always have to cost justify our computers. Standard method is get your overhead burdened rate (your pay + benefits, electricity you consume at work, etc), and multiply that by how long you actually wait on your PC over a year.

Get your corporate accountant to give you the overhead burdened rate.

Simple Example: $75/hr for engineers * 30 minutes a day wasted * # days worked a year. $75*.5*250 = $9,375 wasted in productivity every year. Easily enough money to buy you a new computer.
        "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

I couldn't take it anymore, I had to snag the extra 512 out of the "bad" system on the shelf. It's amazing how big a difference such a minor upgrade makes.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
            We (engineers at work and I) always have to cost justify our computers. Standard method is get your overhead burdened rate (your pay + benefits, electricity you consume at work, etc), and multiply that by how long you actually wait on your PC over a year.

Get your corporate accountant to give you the overhead burdened rate.

Simple Example: $75/hr for engineers * 30 minutes a day wasted * # days worked a year. $75*.5*250 = $9,375 wasted in productivity every year. Easily enough money to buy you a new computer.
            Excellent....
            "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

I'm trying to get them to at the very least drop a wire to my pc so I can get off this bottleneck of a wireless pci card. The main problem is the portion of the company i work in is basically here to pay rent and bills on the building, while the other side is where they make the money, so we get the shaft while they other guys just got brand new laptops to replace the others that were only a year old

And yes, we only use access as the interface to get to the sql backend.

Oh, the kicker is that they ran an extra cat5 on the other side of the wall in my boss's office just in case he needs it. He told me that I could have it if they would drop it on the other side of the wall. I'm going to bring my tools on Monday and have at this wall if they haven't had the guy do it over the weekend.

Comment

Just be sure that the port you will be using will be clear to accept the MAC address if they have port security turned on at the switch.

If you boot up, can't connect, and the light at the switch goes yellow, that might be the issue....

Comment

Working...
                X