? for the computer gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ? for the computer gurus

So i am about to cut the cable and use my internet for any tv shows I want to watch(Netflix and hulu) and for any sports I want to watch like over espn3.com Most of the TV shows I dont care about really, its more the sports I care about over the long haul.

I was wondering when streaming and downloading video and watching live events like sports over the net...how much of a role does the computer play in the whole scheme of things. Basically there is the internet signal(verizon Fios my case), then the router, then the computer correct? The comp i have now is a cheap E Machines from Wally World. I have tried couple times to watch sports on espn3.com, but when I enlarge the screen to full size for viewing it becomes really pixeled and not a very clear pic, also the signal would buffer alot, like it was trying to catch up with the download.

so if anybody can help to tell what comp. i should be looking for that would be helpful.
    sigpic

It depends on the source, what are your computer specs?
    Anything really should be good for Standard definition stuff, but when you get into HD streaming is where you'll need a "beefier" system.

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post
      It depends on the source, what are your computer specs?
      Anything really should be good for Standard definition stuff, but when you get into HD streaming is where you'll need a "beefier" system.
      Got the following straight from eMachine website...I would like to look into HD streaming, dont want to waste my hd tv too much. I have been looking at using the computer as a DVR with a tv tuner card, but I am not sure on that yet.

EL1300G
      CPU : AMD Athlon™ 2650e processor
      (1.6GHz, 512KB L2 cache)
      Operating System : Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic
      Chipset : NVIDIA® GeForce® 6150SE
      Memory : 2048MB DDR2 (2 × 1024MB)
      Expandable to 4GB
      2 DDR2 slots (total), 0 DDR2 slots (available)
      Hard Drive : 160GB SATA II (7200rpm)1
      Optical Drive : 18x DVD±R/RW Supermulti drive featuring Labelflash™2
      Write max: 18x DVD±R, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+RW, 8x DVD±R DL, 12x DVD-RAM, 48x CD-R, 32x CD-RW
      Read max: 16x DVD-ROM, 48x CD-ROM
      Supports Label Flash on disc printing (req. Label Flash media)
      Media Reader : Multi-in-one digital media card reader
      CompactFlash® (Type I and II), CF+™ Microdrive, MultiMediaCard™ (MMC), Reduced-Size MultiMediaCard™ (RSMMC), Secure Digital™ (SD) Card, xD-Picure Card™, (xD), Memory Stick™, Memory Stick PRO™ (MS-PRO)
      Video : NVIDIA® GeForce® 6150SE integrated graphics
      Up to 128MB of shared video memory
      Audio : 6-channel (5.1) high-definition audio
      USB Speakers
      Communications : 56k ITU v.92-ready fax/modem (RJ-11 port)
      10/100/1000 Gigabit LAN (RJ-45 port)
      Peripherals : eMachines® PS/2 Keyboard
      PS/2 Optical Mouse
      Ports/Other : 9 - USB 2.0 (5 front, 4 rear)
      2 - PS/2 (keyboard and mouse)
      1 - VGA
      5 - Audio: center/sub, rear (stereo), line-in/side (stereo), front/headphones (stereo), microphone
      2 - Audio: headphone (stereo), microphone
      1 - RJ-45 Ethernet
      1 - RJ-11 modem
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jefehbk View Post
        GoI would like to look into HD streaming, dont want to waste my hd tv too much.
        "Waste" your HD TV? Are you still running an old projection style TV, where bulb life is an issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
          "Waste" your HD TV? Are you still running an old projection style TV, where bulb life is an issue?
          WTF R U talking about?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
            No - I think he is saying it is a waste to watch SD on a HDTV when there is HD content available.

At least that is how I read it.

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
              No - I think he is saying it is a waste to watch SD on a HDTV when there is HD content available.

At least that is how I read it.
              yes thank you
              sigpic

Comment

Got the following straight from eMachine website...I would like to look into HD streaming, dont want to waste my hd tv too much. I have been looking at using the computer as a DVR with a tv tuner card, but I am not sure on that yet.

EL1300G
                CPU : AMD Athlon™ 2650e processor
                (1.6GHz, 512KB L2 cache)
                Operating System : Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic
                Chipset : NVIDIA® GeForce® 6150SE
                Memory : 2048MB DDR2 (2 × 1024MB)
                Expandable to 4GB
                2 DDR2 slots (total), 0 DDR2 slots (available)
                Hard Drive : 160GB SATA II (7200rpm)1
                Optical Drive : 18x DVD±R/RW Supermulti drive featuring Labelflash™2
                Write max: 18x DVD±R, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+RW, 8x DVD±R DL, 12x DVD-RAM, 48x CD-R, 32x CD-RW
                Read max: 16x DVD-ROM, 48x CD-ROM
                Supports Label Flash on disc printing (req. Label Flash media)
                Media Reader : Multi-in-one digital media card reader
                CompactFlash® (Type I and II), CF+™ Microdrive, MultiMediaCard™ (MMC), Reduced-Size MultiMediaCard™ (RSMMC), Secure Digital™ (SD) Card, xD-Picure Card™, (xD), Memory Stick™, Memory Stick PRO™ (MS-PRO)
                Video : NVIDIA® GeForce® 6150SE integrated graphics
                Up to 128MB of shared video memory
                Audio : 6-channel (5.1) high-definition audio
                USB Speakers
                Communications : 56k ITU v.92-ready fax/modem (RJ-11 port)
                10/100/1000 Gigabit LAN (RJ-45 port)
                Peripherals : eMachines® PS/2 Keyboard
                PS/2 Optical Mouse
                Ports/Other : 9 - USB 2.0 (5 front, 4 rear)
                2 - PS/2 (keyboard and mouse)
                1 - VGA
                5 - Audio: center/sub, rear (stereo), line-in/side (stereo), front/headphones (stereo), microphone
                2 - Audio: headphone (stereo), microphone
                1 - RJ-45 Ethernet
                1 - RJ-11 modem
                Can you go to youtube and watch 1080P videos at full screen? I seriously doubt that computer will do what you want it to do... You will need a new rig I would imagine... HD video takes A LOT of processor, memory, and GPU to play.

I would suggest a high end dual core, or a quad core system, min 4 gigs of ram(6gigs+ would be best), and a GTX 560TI or equal video card. Since it will be an HD machine for playing on your tv get a blu-ray player. If you shopped around, you could build a nice setup for $600-$700 + the cost of software. The computer should last you several years.

If you want to use the computer as a DVR device, plan on buying lots of very large hard drives. Which can be added on over time.
                Last edited by FATHERFORD; 06-27-2011, 12:43 PM.
                "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

So i am about to cut the cable and use my internet for any tv shows I want to watch(Netflix and hulu) and for any sports I want to watch like over espn3.com Most of the TV shows I dont care about really, its more the sports I care about over the long haul.

I was wondering when streaming and downloading video and watching live events like sports over the net...how much of a role does the computer play in the whole scheme of things. Basically there is the internet signal(verizon Fios my case), then the router, then the computer correct? The comp i have now is a cheap E Machines from Wally World. I have tried couple times to watch sports on espn3.com, but when I enlarge the screen to full size for viewing it becomes really pixeled and not a very clear pic, also the signal would buffer alot, like it was trying to catch up with the download.

so if anybody can help to tell what comp. i should be looking for that would be helpful.
                  Since no one has answered his original question I shall.Your computer plays a big role in the scheme of watching online tv. However if you are streaming a movie from netflix and whatnot, you should be fine with that set up. I am sure you can watch HD movies, since I am streaming hd movies on my laptop with older specs. As for the sports shows on the website if you maximize the screen to fit your pc resolution and if the website doesnt support streaming in HD you will see a horrible pixelated video. You also see buffering but that has nothing to do with your computer nor your internet connection, as you have fios, this problem lies on the espn servers which their upload is apparently slow since you cant see HD. Your computer is set to rock and roll with your settings if all you want to do is stream, however if you have software clutter and viruses your pc might be running a bit slow (also noted you were running vista) if you can top up your OS to the newest (windows 7).
                  First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

Originally posted by FATHERFORD View Post
                    Can you go to youtube and watch 1080P videos at full screen? I seriously doubt that computer will do what you want it to do... You will need a new rig I would imagine... HD video takes A LOT of processor, memory, and GPU to play.

I would suggest a high end dual core, or a quad core system, min 4 gigs of ram(6gigs+ would be best), and a GTX 560TI or equal video card. Since it will be an HD machine for playing on your tv get a blu-ray player. If you shopped around, you could build a nice setup for $600-$700 + the cost of software. The computer should last you several years.

If you want to use the computer as a DVR device, plan on buying lots of very large hard drives. Which can be added on over time.

I dont see a 1080p option only 480p is the highest I see. when i watch youtube videos with the normal utube screen it is of good quality, expand to full screen and it looks below SD quality.

would i need to get a blu ray player drive or can i incorporate my PS3 for the blu ray? I dont plan on storing any tv shows or anything, just use comp. like a dvr to watch shows at a later time like that day or the next. I may just end up getting a dvr online somewhere,.

I just basically do not want to underbuy or majorly overbuy on a computer. I want to try and get something that will last 6-8 yrs if not longer.
                    sigpic

Comment

I dont see a 1080p option only 480p is the highest I see. when i watch youtube videos with the normal utube screen it is of good quality, expand to full screen and it looks below SD quality.
                      Not all youtube vids are HD. If they are available in HD there is an option in the lower right next to the fullscreen button.

Try this one to be sure: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWscV...otation_472206

For what it's worth, I have an Asrock ion 3d PC and it does OK with everything with everything except streaming content(Hulu, Icefilms, etc). The audio processor is the same as a netbook and makes the audio to get choppy. The video performance has been great. I mainly use it for ripped movies, but the streaming audio gets really annoying.

EDIT - For the record, I wouldn't buy it again because of the audio. I am also looking to build an HTPC for the big TV and I'll move the little AsRock to the bedroom to watch movies on.
                      Last edited by 71chevellejohn; 06-27-2011, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.

Comment

So i am about to cut the cable and use my internet for any tv shows I want to watch(Netflix and hulu) and for any sports I want to watch like over espn3.com
                          Do you have an xbox 360 and a gold account? If not, it can be a much cheaper alternative than a new PC or laptop if you would only be upgrading for the reasons mentioned.

We stream Netflix through our 360, Hulu and espn3 available as well, and of course BlackOps.
                          sigpic

2006 Mustang GT Redfire Metallic •ProCharger

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Fiux View Post
                            Since no one has answered his original question I shall.Your computer plays a big role in the scheme of watching online tv. However if you are streaming a movie from netflix and whatnot, you should be fine with that set up. I am sure you can watch HD movies, since I am streaming hd movies on my laptop with older specs. As for the sports shows on the website if you maximize the screen to fit your pc resolution and if the website doesnt support streaming in HD you will see a horrible pixelated video. You also see buffering but that has nothing to do with your computer nor your internet connection, as you have fios, this problem lies on the espn servers which their upload is apparently slow since you cant see HD. Your computer is set to rock and roll with your settings if all you want to do is stream, however if you have software clutter and viruses your pc might be running a bit slow (also noted you were running vista) if you can top up your OS to the newest (windows 7).
                            yes when i expand the screen from normal to full screen is does the pixelated thing and looks way less than SD. I am fairly certain i need to probably do a reboot of the computer and put it back to like it was day one when it came out of the box and go from there with anti virus software and such.

all i want to do is be able to watch tv shows/movies/sports over the internet and quit paying the MAN for most of the programming i can get for free or for just $8 month thru netflix or hulu plus.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NoRegrets View Post
                              Do you have an xbox 360 and a gold account? If not, it can be a much cheaper alternative than a new PC or laptop if you would only be upgrading for the reasons mentioned.

We stream Netflix through our 360, Hulu and espn3 available as well, and of course BlackOps.

I have a PS3....I will have to look to see if I can do the espn3. I have the netflix and hulu apps downloaded to give those a try and see if i like them.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X