NETWORK GURU's PLEASE ENTER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NETWORK GURU's PLEASE ENTER

OK for those who want a challenge in networking i have a dilema.

First please check out the pic i have added...
    This is essentially my Network setup here in the desert.

I recently bought a 10/100/1000 managed Cisco Switch (SG200-08)
    I wanted to test out my NAS's(i labled it as server) ability to do aggregated link for more speed. Also give myself more ports in my room for another laptop i have.

From the picture you see the main router which is a Cisco 3000 Wireless Giga Router. I have a single gigabit line to my room to help feed the entire camp for the media server/nas. the problem before was i only had a single line from the NAS (it has dual NIC's), and in order to move data back and forth i was limited to one computer. Some times i get people who want to hop on for a moment to grab a bunch of stuff at once and this helps speed up the process.

SO i buy this Cisco switch thinking that i will add this in, and POOF now i have more ports to plug into. while i'm at it i thought i would play with Aggregated link for the fun of it.

well the problem is simple... everything connects as it should with no issues. IP's are assigned accordingly, and i have no problems with the internet (wired or WIRELESS). the problem occurs when any computer is hardwired to the switch, i can not access my own media server/NAS. I can see the NAS, it will even show me the sub-folders but the second you click on one, it hangs the computer and after a few minutes it fails to connect to the shared folders.

NOW if i connect using the wireless access point, i have internet and ALSO can access the shared folders. problem is this is SLOW (7-10MB/s MAX vs 90-100MB/s on Gigabit).

there is a VLAN setup on Both the MAIN router and my switch but both are set to default, which is ONE. I also have one other issue with connecting my XBOX to other XBOX's on the internal LANt. if i host a game, no one else can connect to me, yet i can play on XBOX live...

I have no firewalls, i have no nortons bullshit... Windows firewall has been disabled for testing, and the NAS has all protections turned off, Yet still no dice.

I have also tried to connect to the media server without using Aggregated link for the NAS and the symptoms are the same...

I have all the ports set as trunk (as opposed to access or General) the VLAN is setup as Ch 1 for all the ports. Everyone else on the network can access the Media server without a problem...

the problem seems to be isolated to anything that plugs into my switch with a wire... Using the access point off the switch allows full functionality..

SO WTF AM I DOING WRONG. I am not a Networking Guru. i have tried to learn, but for the last 3 days i have been banging my head against a T wall.

Suggestions ???

Last edited by Justa4Banger; 08-17-2011, 01:25 PM.

Couple of things to try and clarify

1) Same behavior when checking from laptop to laptop?
    2) Login to your managed switch and router and see if there any any log messages that increase or manifest themselves during network activity.
    3) The Internal interface of your router should be on the same VLAN (and the default gateway) as your internal network. what is your internal network? 192.168.0.1/24 ?
    4) Trunking is a switch port mode to handle multiple VLANs, you may want to play with tweaking that. Try changing them all to general, really observe the documentation for your router model for this.
    5) Check port speed / duplex on both the switch and each client that connects. If you are running gig nics on your media server, most likey everything is set to auto, but you need to look and verify the proper negotiation actually happened. If things look off, try playing with hard coding them to the same setting. If GIG is not an option, nail it to 100/Full duplex. You may want to hard set everything to speed 100/ duplex FULL just to eliminate duplex and negotiation issues.
    Last edited by mustang_revival; 08-17-2011, 01:56 PM.
    WRX

Comment

Originally posted by Justa4Banger View Post
      there is a VLAN setup on Both the MAIN router and my switch but both are set to default, which is ONE. I also have one other issue with connecting my XBOX to other XBOX's on the internal LANt. if i host a game, no one else can connect to me, yet i can play on XBOX live... [/IMG]
      This may be the gem in the rough for your problem.

Router and switches do not share any universal network know as "VLAN 1" typically a default VLAN on a device is 192.168.0.1/24

They may have different default VLANs out of the box, and unless you match them up, you have to add routes on your router to have 2 networks communicate.

A way to check this, get your address/subnet/default gateway from your xbox and the other XBOXs you want to share a network with. See if they differ (sounds like they do) You will either need to sync the networks up by having them share the same network space, or if you cant do that, look at your router about setting a route for each of your networks to the respective interface they connect to.
      WRX

Comment

First VLANs are a layer 2 technology, if all VLANs are VLAN ID 1 you simply have a flat layer 2 network.

From what I can gather you're saying the main problem is with your NAS, so lets focus on that.

1st link aggregation has to be configured on both sides. Have you done an etherchannel on the Cisco device?

2nd PAGP or LACP? Should be LACP since PAGP is Cisco proprietary.

3rd *I* would not have all ports as trunk ports. In theory it's just dot1q with native vlan 1, but for testing remove the second link and make it an access port. switchport access vlan 1

4th Have you done ping tests to/from the NAS and so on?

5th I don't work with the SG200 much, but can you post config?

Take care
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Yes both laptops experience the same issues. although i did get 1 laptop to work correctly, unitl i plugged it... then it went back to its screwed up ways...

I should also state that i have basically little knowledge of VLAN and networking in general. I do understand what VLANs are though i have been told by the IT person on site (which is an airhead) that we are not using any VLANs. OH and yes i asked the IT person for her help and her answer was to buy an unmanged gigabit switch... Dumb bitch...

Main router Ip is 192.168.100.XXX, Subnet is 255.255.252.0
          the router and my switch show this information for both...

the MAIN router has VLAN1 on the 4 switch ports but VLAN 2 on the WAN. this seems to be a factory preset though. i configured the main router for the camp when we had a power failure cause the router to go all screwy...i didn't set any VLANs when i reconfigured the router.

As for the aggreggated link, when i had it running, yes i configured and assigned the correct ports and the NAS and switch were working together.. no errors in the logs.

Port speed on both the NAS and the switch are showing gigabit, as well as the laptops. no issues that i can see. everything reads 1000 and full duplex where it is supposed to and 100 full duplex on the access point.

i just checked the switch logs and came across this

1 1970-01-01 00:00:02 Critical LOG[LOG] log_server.c(1835) 2 %% Log service started
          2 1970-01-01 0059 Error DOT1Q[dot1qTask] dot1q_control.c(1434) 115 %% Cannot configure VLAN tagging for an access port g1
          3 1970-01-01 0059 Error DOT1Q[dot1qTask] dot1q_control.c(1434) 116 %% Cannot configure VLAN tagging for an access port g3
          4 1970-01-01 0059 Error DOT1Q[dot1qTask] dot1q_control.c(1434) 117 %% Cannot configure VLAN tagging for an access port g4
          5 1970-01-01 0059 Error DOT1Q[dot1qTask] dot1q_control.c(1434) 118 %% Cannot configure VLAN tagging for an access port g5
          6 1970-01-01 0059 Error DOT1Q[dot1qTask] dot1q_control.c(1434) 119 %% Cannot configure VLAN tagging for an access port g6
          7 1970-01-01 0059 Error DOT1Q[dot1qTask] dot1q_control.c(1434) 120 %% Cannot configure VLAN tagging for an access port g7
          8 1970-01-01 0059 Error DOT1Q[dot1qTask] dot1q_control.c(1434) 121 %% Cannot configure VLAN tagging for an access port g8
          9 2011-08-17 22:04:34 Error DOT1Q[dot1qTask] dot1q_control.c(1434) 129 %% Cannot configure VLAN tagging for an access port g1
          10 2011-08-17 22:04:34 Error DOT1Q[dot1qTask] dot1q_control.c(1434) 130 %% Cannot configure VLAN tagging for an access port g2

i do not understand "tagging" i have the choice of untagged or tagged..

System Description: 8-Port Gigabit Smart Switch
          System Uptime: 0 days, 5 hours, 51 mins 19 secs
          System Location: Vault
          Edit Current Time: 08/18/2011 0345

System Contact: Toymaker
          Edit Base MAC Address: 44:E49:CA:6A:82
          Hostname: switchCA6A82
          Edit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serial Number: PSJ151600BM
          Firmware Version: 1.0.1.0
          PID VID: SLM2008T V01
          Firmware MD5 Checksum: b9136a791d79be6037b16af518c67660
          Boot Version: D.8.3.1
          Boot MD5 Checksum: 0af80865683e1c8da58a5818baf13c3a

Language Pack Table

Language Locale Version MD5 Checksum File Size (KB) File Type Default Status Number of Users
          English en-US 1.0.1.0 N/A N/A Built-in Yes Active 1

This table is sortable
          TCP and UDP Services

Service Name Type Port IP Address Remote Port State
          For Internal Use TCP 2222 0 Listen
          For Internal Use UDP 4567 0 Active
          HTTP TCP 80 0 Listen
          For Internal Use UDP 1036 0 Active
          For Internal Use UDP 1037 0 Active
          Bonjour UDP 5353 0 Active
          Bonjour UDP 5353 0 Active
          HTTP TCP 80 192.168.100.157 64803 Established

Comment

Comment

Current settings for VLAN

Filter: Interface Type equals to PortLAG

Entry No. Interface Interface
              VLAN Mode PVID Frame
              Type Ingress
              Filtering VLAN Priority
              1 g1 Trunk 1 Admit All Enabled 0
              2 g2 Trunk 1 Admit All Enabled 0
              3 g3 Trunk 1 Admit All Enabled 0
              4 g4 Trunk 1 Admit All Enabled 0
              5 g5 Trunk 1 Admit All Enabled 0
              6 g6 Trunk 1 Admit All Enabled 0
              7 g7 Trunk 1 Admit All Enabled 0
              8 g8 Trunk 1 Admit All Enabled 0

LACP settings at the moment

LACP
              LACP Interface Table

Actor Partner
              Entry No. Interface LACP Mode System Priority Admin Key Port Priority LACP Aggregation LACP Passive LACP Timeout LACP Aggregation LACP Passive LACP Timeout
              1 g1 Enable 128 1 128 Aggregate Active Long Aggregate Active Long
              2 g2 Enable 128 2 128 Aggregate Active Long Aggregate Active Long
              3 g3 Enable 128 3 128 Aggregate Active Long Aggregate Active Long
              4 g4 Enable 128 4 128 Aggregate Active Long Aggregate Active Long
              5 g5 Enable 128 5 128 Aggregate Active Long Aggregate Active Long
              6 g6 Enable 128 6 128 Aggregate Active Long Aggregate Active Long
              7 g7 Enable 128 7 128 Aggregate Active Long Aggregate Active Long
              8 g8 Enable 128 8 128 Aggregate Active Long Aggregate Active Long

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
                HEY you ...fuck off lol

once i get this figured out, you'll benefit from this also...lol

Comment

i ping tested from my main laptop to the NAS, tests fine.
                  Pinged my other laptop which is bumming a wifi signal from my neighbor... this wifi is routed through the entire network. from here i can access the NAS with no issue. no one else, in the camp, has come to me either about not being able to access the NAS.

the problem is definently isolated to the switch in my room. ONly hard wired computers are having the issue...

Comment

i tried to adjust the speed of the ports down 100Mbit and still nothing...

BTW thanks for the help, though i will flat out admit i'm outside my comfort zone.. ANy help though would be appreciated...

Comment

VLAN ID 1 for your internal network and 2 for the outside would seem normal. 2 separate networks with the router...routing.

Again though, those should not be trunk ports. VLAN Trunking is for lets say you have...

VLAN 1 - 192.168.1.0 - A PC network
                      VLAN 2 - 192.168.2.0 - A printer network
                      VLAN 3 - 192.168.3.0 - A server network

...and you want to pass those VLANs from one switch to another - you connect the two switches via a trunk port. Since all your devices are on VLAN ID 1, the ports should be access ports assigned to VLAN 1. Ports like that are referred to as "access ports". The dot1q errors you see refer to 802.1q which is an industry standard VLAN trunking technology.

I also think you should only have LACP enabled on the -2- ports that are aggregated for the NAS. Right now it looks like you have them all enabled. LACP is Link Aggregation Control Protocol and it is used for what you're trying to do with your NAS.

Also, none of your devices are configured for VLAN tagging right? (i.e. your PC, NAS...etc?)

Get those two things squared away and post back up on what you see.

Comment

Well its late for me, so when i get up i'll hit ya'll up, but it makes sense to me.... VLAN explanation....

Right now i have the configuration all screwed up any ways so i can't quite set up the switch... the nas is at its busiest now, so i had to revert back to the old way so people don;t bitch... Tomorrow i'll make the adjustments and get back to you....

Just to toss this out there though, i have the configuration different but still have had no luck getting 2 of my 3 laptops to hit the shared folder on a hardline.... for giggles i tired a older 3rd laptop i have laying around. WIRED or wireless , i could hit the shared folder.... freaking wierd..

let me set the configuration back to the way i want it. i'll make the adjustments and see if things change.... thanks for your help..

Comment

Sounds good. Step 1 is getting the config to look right. Step 2 if things are still broke is the further troubleshooting. Get the low hanging fruit out of the way.

Comment

Hey i have notice one thing thats strange..

When i do a search for the \\NAME .... as opposed to \\Name\shared .... i can see the NAS.

when i click on the folder, then it hangs.... maybe this is another worthless clue, but every little bit helps...

Comment

OK, configuration is complete... it is now wired exactly as my diagram..
                              Trunk lines are set only for the 2 lines that go to the NAS, LAG is up and running without any issues . LACP is only enabled on the 2 lines for the NAS, LAG is set on dynamic.

I reassigned the other ports to "access" on VLAN . Also set as "untagged". all 8 ports are "member" of VLAN 1.

NOW Spanning Tree. i read about an issue with some XBOX's and spanning tree so i set the GLOBAL setting to "off".on the individual ports i enabled STP on the 2 NAS trunk lines and the main line to the MAIN ROUTER.
                              Auto edge enabled on those 3 ports other 5 are disabled
                              BPDU is set to flooding
                              PORT ROLE is Disabled on all ports (i counldn;t find a way to change thi either)
                              PATH COST is 0
                              EDGE port is set on "enabled" for the 2 trunk lines and the main router line.

NOW under RSTP i show line 1 (main router line) as MODE "enabled" but port status is "disabled"

So how does it work.... well 1 of the 3 laptops in front of me can see the internet and ACCESS the NAS (wired). the 2 ASUS laptops can't.
                              The Lenovo i have acts normal and works wonderfully.. Transfers are averaging about 95MB/s on a 14GB file. wireless i'm averaging 11MB/s (wirless N)

ON the 2 laptops with the "issue" i can only access the NAS though the wireless access point. Any wired connection will allow me to see the NAS, open 1 folder, but on the next click it hangs and eventually fails....

Comment

Working...
                              X