opinions on old 1950

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinions on old 1950

So I got an old 1950 that just came out of warranty and i'm gonna tear it down.
    32GB of ram
    Dual 5160's
    Dual 146GB SAS 15k drives

Originally I was thinking just take it home rack it and use it, but than I got to thinking fuck that noise.

I was wondering if it would just be worth it to get a new mobo with an pci-e x16 slot.

I could probably fund some of the cost of the new mobo by selling the chassis + mobo of the 1950. But i'm wondering if its even worth my trouble to get a new case, mobo, and power supply and set this up as a spare workstation for VM's maybe some light gaming if I install a spare 6970 in it.

What would you guys do with the hardware?

That computer sounds like a fucking beast... light gaming? haha, I play my games on max settings with no lag and my system is peanuts compared to what I think you just described.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor View Post
      That computer sounds like a fucking beast... light gaming? haha, I play my games on max settings with no lag and my system is peanuts compared to what I think you just described.
      light gaming when compared to my main gaming rig. i'm still wondering if its worth the cost to get a new mobo/case/psu for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor View Post
        It sounds like a beast because it's an old server.

As a server, it's not worth rebuilding. We are about to ebay an old 2850 and two 2950s along with some REALLY old compaq/hp servers.

Comment

Exactly, its still socket 771 and uses ddr2.

Comment

best bet is to use it for a home server, and buy bigger drives, or just ebay the thing for what you can.

My home "gaming" machine is still a T7400 Precision Workstation with Dual 3.0GHz Xeon Processors, 12GB of RAM, SATA drives, and an Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX.

When this box has had it's last day, I'm probably going to buy an Alienware M14X laptop to replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
              best bet is to use it for a home server, and buy bigger drives, or just ebay the thing for what you can.

My home "gaming" machine is still a T7400 Precision Workstation with Dual 3.0GHz Xeon Processors, 12GB of RAM, SATA drives, and an Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX.

When this box has had it's last day, I'm probably going to buy an Alienware M14X laptop to replace it.
              My home server is like an energy efficient box, intel atom, 5 drives, etc.. My gaming/primary rig is probably stronger than most of the old equipment I could use as a server.

I'm gonna ask my manager if I could use this as my workstation, that way they can buy me the mobo/case/psu.

Comment

I'll take the 1950 of your hands if you're wanting to sell it.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinFACE View Post
                  I'll take the 1950 of your hands if you're wanting to sell it.
                  I wouldn't be able to sell it. Sorry.

Comment

Working...
                  X