Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Ring of Death

ARGH.

I bought my xbox used in 2007. It red-ringed in 2009 or so, and I found a guy on CL to repair it for $20. It worked until just a few weeks ago.

I've been told that once its been "fixed", and RROD's again, its toast.

Any truth to this? I don't necessarily believe it, because I did the 'towel wrap' method, and it worked, but only for about 10 minutes.

And no, I cannot afford a new xbox.
    DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Call that guy up who fixed it the first time and see what he thinks. But you can't even buy a used one?
    2010 F-350 6.4L SRW CC 4X4

Spartan tunes, 5 inch flo-pro, 4 inch down pipe, cold side piping, AFE stage 2 CAI, EGR delete, Air Dog II

2012 Mustang 5.0 GT Stock........for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Badass2000GT View Post
      Call that guy up who fixed it the first time and see what he thinks. But you can't even buy a used one?
      A) That was years ago
      B) I lived in wonderful, magical, beautiful Colorado at the time. This sweet x-box has accompanied me to several different parts of the country.

It's hard to shell out cash for that kind of stuff these days..
      DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

gotcha man.
        2010 F-350 6.4L SRW CC 4X4

Spartan tunes, 5 inch flo-pro, 4 inch down pipe, cold side piping, AFE stage 2 CAI, EGR delete, Air Dog II

2012 Mustang 5.0 GT Stock........for now.

Comment

Harrison I learned how to fix it too when my box, bought when they came out, took a shit. It worked for about a year before it finally did it again. I couldnt do anythign to fix it after that. Ended up buying a new box. fyi

Comment

It's 50/50 if it can be fixed again. It's the same problem as the ps3s. The overheat it method sometimes will work, but basically you are just melting the thermal pastes between the processor and the heat sink. The problem with doing it one or more times is that the thermal paste ends up breaking down.

It is possible to completely remove and reapply thermal paste, and it may work.

I fixed osiris's ps3 once for him, and it died again a few weeks later. I couldn't get it to work again.

Comment

Shit, I just got the new slim 4G for Christmas and not even a month old and its freezing up on me. I mean come on Microsoft.
              GOPR0198 by larrychance88

Comment

Working...
              X