Network Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network Help

I'm needing a little help setting up my network. Here is our current configuration:

2 laptops and 1 desktop sharing nothing but the internet via a router. My desktop isn't connected to the home network, as I don't use it that often. I am more frequently having to access it for files however and would like to include it, and ideally set it up as the server for the home network. unfortunately neither of the desktop computers have a wireless card in them and they aren't in close enough proximity to bring the internet to the desktop I want to use as the server with a cable. What I've done for the time being is set up a network for myself to use. I attached a belkin router to the desktop so I can access my files with my desktop.

My questions:

What should I be using for security for the network? Now and once it is connected to the internet. The current OS is win7

Is there a way for me to link the two networks and share the internet connection between the two of them?
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Can you clarify, there are 2 laptops and 1 desktop on 1 network and your other desktop on another?
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Correct. The current network setting for the internet is 1 desktop located with the router/modem, and 2 laptops that access it. My primary goal was to set up a file sharing network, so I can access the HDD's on my desktop, which is not the desktop currently connected to the network with an internet connection. That is done. However, I've got a large cache of music files, and would like to be able to back up files from all of the computers to My desktop, so I was wondering if there was a way to join the two networks via wireless to share the internet connection.

Also, what should I be running to protect my file sharing network.
      Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

The only real answer is to get the fileserver connected via a cable. You don't really want to run it off of a wireless connection. Even with just 1-to-1 access, wireless devices/technology (especially consumer grade) are not really designed for large transfers like that. Great for a laptop or just some host to piddle around on the network, past that - nope.

For host/application security (i.e. AV, malware...etc) I'll defer to others, I don't really know what I'm talking about there compared to other subjects.

There are a few things that can be done to secure the network a little.

1. Wireless - MAKE SURE you enable strong encryption and not easily guessed passphrase/keys. Your wireless network, IMO, is the most vulnerable. Once that is compromised, they may as well have a cable plugged into your switch/router. Some consumer APs have a guest network option as well, utilize it if so and either a) ONLY allow access to the Internet (if you think people may stop by and use your wireless) or just block/route everything to bit bucket.

Little things that help, but can be a PITA. Don't broadcast SSID (not a biggy, but a lot of people are not going to bother if they don't see it.), don't make the SSID identify you, MAC filtering can be handy (but MACs can be spoofed) and ... I forgot the last one.

2. Another PITA one is just utilizing windows firewall for L3 host security. It's better than nothing, but often causes more problems than it is worth.

3. For Internet security, your best bet is to utilize a firewall - it's about the most common solution. A lot of times your router will have one and my default ACLs for residential purposes are permit any any for egress and deny any any for ingress. Then tweak as needed for torrents or whatever maybe needed for ingress connections.

You COULD bridge/or whatever needs to be done and use more of a SMB/Enterprise firewall and get an overall better solution. I recommend the Cisco ASA 5505...

Cisco ASA 5500-X Series with FirePOWER Services is a firewall appliance that delivers integrated threat defense across the entire attack continuum.

...That can be cost prohibitive depending. It is nice though since you get 8 switch ports, 2 POE and a better overall firewall than a consumer product. 2 major pitfalls for a consumer though is no gigabit speeds on it and it does require some know how to configure.

If your router does not have a firewall, you may want to check out some of those after market firmware (DD-WRT, tomato..etc) - I've checked it out and it seems pretty bad ass.

This all depends on you cabling that "server" into your network though.
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I think I see what you are trying to do. They only thing I would try down the path you are going is to set the belkin in a host only type of mode, where it joins and is a part of the "internet" network.
          Yes it is not ideal to me moving lots of data over wireless.
          On your security, use authentication to your file shares, dont allow "everyone"., Disable default accounts that you dont use on your server and workstations. Keep local firewalls on, and keep the machines patched.
          WRX

Comment

Working...
          X