Using Evo for Xboxlive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Evo for Xboxlive

I've been looking up information on this and was wondering if anyone has any experience in tethering/mobile hot spot on their EVO. I don't play online that much, just mostly Netflix and Zune video. I'm coming up on my contract renewal with Verizon and thinking about cancelling phone/internet service. Curious if its worth it to use Sprint's services. I keep hearing that you either need cable, satellite or phone to have any internet service at al.
    Originally posted by talisman
    I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
    Originally posted by AdamLX
    If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
    Because fuck you, that's why
    Originally posted by 80coupe
    nice dick, Idrivea4banger
    Originally posted by Rick Modena
    ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
    Originally posted by Jester
    Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Unless you've got a signal strength that would make a sprint ceo jealous, you're going to hate it.
    Helped a friend do it with his ps3, and even with the wimax signal he had games that were choppy/lagged terribly.
    Netflix would probably stream fine (after some buffering), but forget about hd quality.

There is no replacement for dedicated home internet delivered through a cable.
    sigpic

Comment

i did it on a great tmobile connection, still with some lag, but i wouldn't even try with sprint. there internet just isn't reliable enough to try to do something that strenuous.

Tesla Service Technician.

Comment

Maybe when sprints lte goes completely online but even then they broadcast at 600mhz so the signal quality will still be poor.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Comment

You would need true unlimited data. I known some companies will give you 5gb a month data with the hotspot. Anything over and it will cost you. If you are grandfathered in for unlimited data you will just be throttled down to unusable speeds
          03 cobra

Comment

Originally posted by brandon01rt View Post
            You would need true unlimited data. I known some companies will give you 5gb a month data with the hotspot. Anything over and it will cost you. If you are grandfathered in for unlimited data you will just be throttled down to unusable speeds
            Sprint offers unlimited data plans with no throttling. ATT and VZ offer 5gig, and throttle at 3gig. Same with Prepaid, unlimited, but after 2-3gig, throttle.

I wouldn't even try with 3g speeds on any carrier, you might have good download speeds but ping still suck ass, latency

If you wondering why so much, I sync'd my dropbox of 9 gigs. Normally its between 4-6g a month.
            Last edited by hunt4m3x; 08-02-2012, 08:22 AM.
            2009 Chevy Tahoe LTZ

2011 GMC Terrain SLT2

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2

Comment

I haven't used the 4G for gaming, but the internet here at work is slow so I have been using the hot spot for updates. Seems to work well and when I test the ping it is always around 40-50. Getting 4G is pretty sporadic, seems to only work for me in The Colony.

Phone is in stock form (unrooted) using the FoxFI app for hot spot which is free.

Comment

Keep in mind even if you have good signal and good transfer speeds, you're going to have bad latency - which is terrible for gaming. Mobile devices usually have good speed but suffer from high packet loss and latency.
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                  Keep in mind even if you have good signal and good transfer speeds, you're going to have bad latency - which is terrible for gaming. Mobile devices usually have good speed but suffer from high packet loss and latency.
                  That, most importantly. That's why we never recommend anyone using the wireless hotspots we sell at work for anyone doing a lot of online gaming with it. It won't be able to keep up.

Comment

Hmm....I've been reading on the Android forums that some people haven't had any issues doing this. I just want to stream Netflix and Zune videos. I don't want to do a bundle package just to get internet service.
                    Originally posted by talisman
                    I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
                    Originally posted by AdamLX
                    If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
                    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                    Because fuck you, that's why
                    Originally posted by 80coupe
                    nice dick, Idrivea4banger
                    Originally posted by Rick Modena
                    ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
                    Originally posted by Jester
                    Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

Originally posted by idrivea4banger View Post
                      Hmm....I've been reading on the Android forums that some people haven't had any issues doing this. I just want to stream Netflix and Zune videos. I don't want to do a bundle package just to get internet service.
                      Netflix and Zune are not gaming, it might be okay for that. Neither of those are latency based.
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                        Netflix and Zune are not gaming, it might be okay for that. Neither of those are latency based.
                        It'll be fine on Netflix, I've done about 17gb on my tethering this month so far, most of it on Netflix through my xbox, but I set mine to the highest quality, you could set it to a lower quality and use far less.

Comment

Working...
                        X