Tablet shopping...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tablet shopping...

Man I'm torn here... I'm looking for a decent tablet as an easier alternative to lugging around my laptop. Lots of surfing, emails, youtube, movies, etc. Looking to buy used, would like to stay around ~$200ish if possible. Would love to find someone wanting to trade something, but not much luck yet.

Acer Iconia 200... I like that it has a full size USB port, and will work with flash drives. Don't like that it has no HDMI out, and no rear facing camera. Also seemed sluggish when I was messing around with the floor model at Best Buy.

Acer Iconia 500... Has the rear camera and HDMI out, everything else is the same as the 200, but more expensive. Kinda curious if it's just as sluggish as the 200 was.

Asus Eee Pad... Seemed pretty fast on the floor model, higher in the price range that I was looking at... I'd love to stay ~$200 for something on CL.

iPad... I'm not a fan of the lameness... very little customization, I HATE iTunes, but love the screen / responsiveness. Also like that when a new iOS rolls out, everyone gets it. Seems like Android drags their ass rolling it out to older models, if they even make it available for older models.

I have an android personal cell, and an iPhone for work. Again, I am irritated with Android right now because the updates are almost non-existent if you have an older device.

Thoughts?

Another thing... Is there a way to make my Thunderbolt a hotspot to share the data with the tablet? Sucks to have to wait for a WiFi hotspot, and I'm not paying for a data plan just for the tablet. Just to get me by while out and about... I DO have WiFI at home. I have PDAnet on my Thunderbolt, but dunno if it will work via bluetooth...

Comment

Use this to make your phone a hotspot. http://goo.gl/fJ73v

The timely updates isn't an android thing, it's an oem thing. If you want fast updates without having your device, go nexus from here on out. The alternative is to hack/root/flash for current firmware.

If a rear camera isn't need, get a nexus 7 or research which tablets have a strong developer base so you can get bloat free firmware for the best performance.

Saved and Texan by the Grace of God, Redneck by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by danielhv View Post
        Another thing... Is there a way to make my Thunderbolt a hotspot to share the data with the tablet? Sucks to have to wait for a WiFi hotspot, and I'm not paying for a data plan just for the tablet. Just to get me by while out and about... I DO have WiFI at home. I have PDAnet on my Thunderbolt, but dunno if it will work via bluetooth...
        Download and install http://foxfi.com/bin from device, I have this on my EVO 4G LTE (not rooted Sprint) and it works great (for me, anyway).

As far as the tablet, I have the Galaxy Tab + (though it is more than your $200) and its fantastic
        Meet the new Galaxy S24, S24+ and S24 Ultra. Explore the rest of the Galaxy ecosystem and discover epic accessories.

I have also heard great things about the Google Nexus Tablets

Comment

thanks guys, went ahead and pulled the trigger on the nexus 7. Went with the 16 gig version. can't beat the price!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Comment

thanks guys, went ahead and pulled the trigger on the nexus 7. Went with the 16 gig version. can't beat the price!

Let us know how it works out, I am thinking of picking up a couple as Christmas gifts.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
              Use this to make your phone a hotspot. http://goo.gl/fJ73v

The timely updates isn't an android thing, it's an oem thing. If you want fast updates without having your device, go nexus from here on out. The alternative is to hack/root/flash for current firmware.

If a rear camera isn't need, get a nexus 7 or research which tablets have a strong developer base so you can get bloat free firmware for the best performance.

is there an app that you are aware of that will work for an iphone that is not jailbroken?

Comment

the app you guys mentioned won't let me create the hot spot on my thunderbolt. Says it is disabled by htc

Comment

the app you guys mentioned won't let me create the hot spot on my thunderbolt. Says it is disabled by htc

Looks like you're gonna hafta root it.
                  I'm hoping this helps out I know with all the hype of the Thunderbolt there's quite a few users new to android that see how people are customizing and wanting to know, and repeat after repeat of questions and bringing a lot of unneeded hostility...

Comment

I dont know what screen size you are looking for but i love my nexus 7. Its very fast and great looking display outside of an ipad.
                    92 Undercover SSP Coupe.
                    15 GT w/PP

Comment

I love my nexus 7.
                      Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

Originally posted by raider5.0 View Post
                        I dont know what screen size you are looking for but i love my nexus 7. Its very fast and great looking display outside of an ipad.
                        Just got mine today, so far I'm loving this thing. Very fast display, very nice interface, very easy to set up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Buy a stylus if you dont want finger prints all over your screen. I have two and they work great. Wacom Bamboo and Maglus. Some popular website did a review on 30 or so and these two were recommend.

Comment

i had a galaxy 10.1 till i sold it. it was okay at best.
                            i'll only buy a nexus product from here on out.
                            www.hppmotorsports.com
                            ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Is the Nexus 7 available retail?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
                              2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Working...
                              X