Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Virus/adware/malware programs to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Virus/adware/malware programs to use?

I'm going to redo my entire laptop and I want to get some good programs to prevent viruses, pop-ups and advertisements. What do you guys recommend? Preferably free. Any input would be great.

Avast is the most comprehensive freebie and does the best of the freebies.

For ads, use Ad Block Plus in Firefox or Chrome.

Saved and Texan by the Grace of God, Redneck by choice.

Comment

Comment

Thanks redneck. After searching for a while it seems like that one and the AVG are the best free ones.

Comment

The main pro for Avast is that it does more than just anti-virus.

Comment

AVG is good but the way it stalls your initial bootup bothers me. Microsoft Security Essentials is free and one of the best from what I have encountered.

ADP for Firefox and Chrome to block popups and in site ads.

The built in windows firewall when configured correctly should be enough. If you have your own router it to should have a built in firewall you can configure.

If you're going to spend some coin I would go with eset for virus protection.

Malwarebytes for free spamware scanner.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Comment

Microsoft security essentials. Haven't found any much better and free.

Comment

Originally posted by Hines57 View Post
                I got a malware java based virus a few days ago, I belive it was fire sirefire or something like that. Just like every damn virus it used java as the backdoor, and then it immediately deleted microsoft security essentials (it literally vanished from my toolbar and start menu) and it prevented me from reinstalling it. After a few reboots I tried several different malware programs which it blocked from installing (installation would complete, and the program wouldn't be on the start menu or on the computer). Finally when I downloaded the new security essentials with the latest revision it installed and deleted it. Interesting thing is I never downloaded anything, it just appeared somehow - using java as the backdoor. The only viruses I've ever actually had were all because of java, I hate the fuck out of that api.
                "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Should this happen to you again CJ, if you'll keep rkill on hand and run it, you'll likely be able to run whichever cleanup utility afterwards without having to jump through hoops.
                  RKill is a program that was developed at BleepingComputer.com that attempts to terminate known malware processes so that your normal security software can then run and clean your computer of infections. When RKill runs it will kill malware processes and then removes incorrect executable associations and fixes policies that stop us from using certain tools. When finished it will display a log file that shows the processes that were terminated while the program was running.

Comment

Originally posted by Hines57 View Post
                    Same here. No problems.

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                    I got a malware java based virus a few days ago, I belive it was fire sirefire or something like that. Just like every damn virus it used java as the backdoor, and then it immediately deleted microsoft security essentials (it literally vanished from my toolbar and start menu) and it prevented me from reinstalling it. After a few reboots I tried several different malware programs which it blocked from installing (installation would complete, and the program wouldn't be on the start menu or on the computer). Finally when I downloaded the new security essentials with the latest revision it installed and deleted it. Interesting thing is I never downloaded anything, it just appeared somehow - using java as the backdoor. The only viruses I've ever actually had were all because of java, I hate the fuck out of that api.
                    Disabling the Java plug-in is the first thing you do any browser. You see absolutely no ill effects from doing so in Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
                      Same here. No problems.

Disabling the Java plug-in is the first thing you do any browser. You see absolutely no ill effects from doing so in Firefox.
                      Would this be by unchecking the "enable Javascript" under tools?

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
                        Last one I got wouldn't let me go to any Microsoft sites or any anti-virus sites . It kept redirecting me to bull shit pay for virus removal sites . R-kill on a flash drive helped me get back to a manageable state. Then MSE removed it.
                        The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. -- Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Religion View Post
                          Would this be by unchecking the "enable Javascript" under tools?
                          tools > add ons > plugins > disable java plug in

Comment

Thanks guys. Got my computer back up. I installed Bitdefender (got it till 2045 for free), Ad Block Plus, and Malwarebytes. Better than my previous set up, which was nothing.

Comment

Don't count on that subscription lasting as they do not offer a 33yr sub.

Comment

Working...
                              X