AT&T data throttling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AT&T data throttling?

This isn't new news I know but I wanna clarify what this text meant. I have had a data package since they did $30 a month unlimited. I got grandfathered in when I renewed my account. I received below text

ATT Free Msg: Your data usage has reached 3GB this month. Using more than 3GB in future billing cycles will result in reduced speeds. You can use Wi-Fi to help avoid reduced speeds. Visit www.att.com/datainfo or call 866-344-7584 for more info.

I want make sure this is just a notification was to let me know hitler AT&T is just throttling my speeds and not going to charge me further if I go past this 3gb... Been on hold for 20 minutes. Figured I'd get quicker fuggin results here...
    Thanks.

Yup, you are correct...you are being throttled on anything > 3GB.

Once my contract is up with them, I am just going to simply pay more to another carrier, just because of this BS tactic.

Comment

What is the reason behind this? There has to be a purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by stangin4lyfe View Post
        Once my contract is up with them, I am just going to simply pay more to another carrier, just because of this BS tactic.
        other carriers will do the same eventually, you can quote me on that
        Originally posted by Tannerm View Post
        because some people out there use a shit ton of data(tethering to laptops and surfing all day), that is why they had to stop the unlimited data. almost everyone has a smartphone so data is being used more and more everyday

Comment

Att throttles and Verizon has chosen to remove customers unlimited plans once they renew.

TMobile just announced they are bringing back the unlimited plan.

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx

Comment

They want you to switch to one of their tiered plans that charges by how much you plan on using per month.

Sprint, T Mobile, and Metro PCS offer unlimited data plans.

I don't consider myself a big data user, but because I listen to Pandora everyday(uses data) while I am in the gym, I am penalized.
            I usually use around 3.5-4gb per month.

Comment

This isn't new news I know but I wanna clarify what this text meant. I have had a data package since they did $30 a month unlimited. I got grandfathered in when I renewed my account. I received below text

ATT Free Msg: Your data usage has reached 3GB this month. Using more than 3GB in future billing cycles will result in reduced speeds. You can use Wi-Fi to help avoid reduced speeds. Visit www.att.com/datainfo or call 866-344-7584 for more info.

I want make sure this is just a notification was to let me know hitler AT&T is just throttling my speeds and not going to charge me further if I go past this 3gb... Been on hold for 20 minutes. Figured I'd get quicker fuggin results here...
              Thanks.
              They will charge you if you go over.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by stangin4lyfe View Post
                They want you to switch to one of their tiered plans that charges by how much you plan on using per month.
                This in turn will gross more money for AT&T.

Sprint and T Mobile both still have unlimited data.

I don't consider myself a big data user, but because I listen to Pandora everyday(uses data) while I am in the gym, I am penalized.
                I usually use around 3.5-4gb per month.

LOL, 3.5-5gb a month is a big data user.

For a few months I tried something. I installed widgets for everything from twitter to facebook to stocks and all kinds of other stuff on my phone so it was constantly updating. Then I listened to internet radio on my phone instead of my work computer. I was barely able to hit 2gb a month.

Everyone I talk to that uses alot either streams alot of movies or tethers.

I hate the thottling as much as anyone but everyone is running out of capacity. EVERYONE throttles now with the exception of Tmobile. The only reason Tmobile can bring back their unlimited planback is because their customer base is so much smaller than ATT and Verizon and they got all the spectrum space from ATT after the failed buy out.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                  They will charge you if you go over.
                  I dont believe they will. Grandfathered unlimited customers get tethered to damn near dial up speeds. Newer tiered customers get charged for going over. I forgot how much off the top of my head but I want to say like $10/gig but I could be wrong.

Comment

They are making it real easy to switch back to metro pos

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
                      I dont believe they will. Grandfathered unlimited customers get tethered to damn near dial up speeds. Newer tiered customers get charged for going over. I forgot how much off the top of my head but I want to say like $10/gig but I could be wrong.
                      You are correct about him not getting charged.

When they throttle, it's below dial up speeds...(.04-.29Mbps down, .8-1.00Mbps up)

Only thing I stream is Pandora, but I do listen to it a good 20hrs a week.

Comment

Amateurs.

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
                          You're right, it's 2g speeds after 3gb. The unlimited plans for T-Mobile don't start until mid next month, though.

If anyone needs any T-Mobile stuff, PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by krazy kris View Post
                            They are making it real easy to switch back to metro pos
                            fuck it they have 4g. if i could hook up a sprint/verizon iphone to metro i would

but the current iphone doesnt do 4g and i dont think metro has 3g so there goes that

Comment

If you switch to an LTE device, they bump your soft cap up to 5Gigs and you have the ability(on android devices but likely others too) to change the APN to one for HSPA+ and bypass the throttling if you exceed 5Gigs.

Comment

Working...
                              X