Laptop power supply questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop power supply questions

My nephew has a Toshiba Satellite M115-S3094. The factory power supply 120V cord going into the supply works. The the power supply does not have any DC voltage output. There are many replacement power supplies available. How critical is the input voltage to the laptop? This one says "15VDC 5.0A" So...15, 16, 19VDC ok or no? What are some trusted sites for replacement power supplies. I would prefer an original but knock off is ok if it works.

Ebay. I would say get one of the same voltage and current. Too much OR too little current or voltage can cause severe damage to multiple circuits (charging, video, etc). It was designed to operate within a very specific range of voltages and current....you should get a proper power supply.
    Frys, Microcenter, Radio Shack, or even Amazon sell replacement laptop power supplies that should cover you.

Comment

Honestly, I would try to get an OEM one if you can. When my nephew lost the one for his Dell I thought I would save him some time by buying him a generic one from Radio Shack. He had issues with the laptop crashing on him. Think I had posted it over on the old Canada site but Matt said some of them can be finicky and to get one from Dell. Never had a problem again and in hindsight since he was in college at the time, I should have just spent the cash and got him the OEM one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose View Post
        Honestly, I would try to get an OEM one if you can. When my nephew lost the one for his Dell I thought I would save him some time by buying him a generic one from Radio Shack. He had issues with the laptop crashing on him. Think I had posted it over on the old Canada site but Matt said some of them can be finicky and to get one from Dell. Never had a problem again and in hindsight since he was in college at the time, I should have just spent the cash and got him the OEM one.
        Dell is very picky from what I have read, since it will often not "recognize" a non-Dell power supply. Mine quit recognizing its' as a Dell power supply, even though it was the factory one, which from what I read at the time is fairly common too. In that scenario, it will allow the power supply to provide power to the laptop, but will not charge the battery.

Comment

Look at the igo chargers with multi tip adapters. The only thing other than oem, I would use. I have an I go from 5-6 years ago when I was working on laptops a lot, and they still sell tips for newer laptops that it works with.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Working...
            X