exotic old school server cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exotic old school server cases

I'm trying to find a cool old school server that I can use for a home storage array. Basically I dont care about the hardware, just the case. It needs to be large enough to support 8 hard drives in some form and hold a mini itx mother board with a power supply. Here are some of the ones I've picked out so far, but for some reason people are asking absurd prices for them. Let me know if you can think of other cool ones. Keep in mind they are going to be stripped of hardware so please dont pick out anything ancient because I would feel bad ( c64, anything tandy, etc )...

Sun Cobalt Qube
    I used to want one of these so bad, its kind of small on the inside, but I might be able to pull it off.

SGI Octane2 workstation
    These things also look so clean and sick, I've always been a SGI whore even though i know absolutely 0 about them.

DEC Alpha
    Ever since a friend of mine got one out of a dumpster, I've been attached to them. RISC will change everything man. These things are massive and will have plenty of storage space internally.

Sun Workstation
    Obviously on the list is the regular sun workstations, however they tend to be very beige/yellow and I dont like the way the look. The pizza boxes are to slim, they might work if I can find a slim power supply with ample power.

Mac cube
    Here is another clean one that I liked, but its probably much too small.
    Last edited by abecx; 09-03-2012, 07:26 PM.

Smells like nerds in here.

God bless.
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

That DEC Alpha is pimpalicious.
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I have 2 Cubes and yes, they're way too small for this. Look for an older IBM RS6000! Very similar to the DEC but you can get it in black.

Comment

I tossed one of these a year or so ago at Dell...

Comment

I might just end up buying a purpose built case, people are asking $200+ for the shit I want, its just not worth it since I dont want the hardware. I've seen O2's for $50 but I cant find any, you'd think being in LA now there would be a shitload with all the production companies around.

Comment

Oh gawd that sgi box is hawt sex.

Comment

no cray 2 case no care
                2016 250 Mini dozer

No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                  I tossed one of these a year or so ago at Dell...

I think that server is in the C4 Lab on the floor...

yes old school cases are cool as hell. I use to have a lot of generic cube and full tower cases until I just coudn't find the space to keep them anymore. I use an old cube case as my nightstand depsite my wife's opposition to it. Little does she know I actually turned it back into a working system.

Comment

If I never see another Alpha server again, I'll be perfectly fine with that.

I'm sure the dumpster your friend got one from was a Blockbuster dumpster.
                    How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Working...
                    X