Galaxy S3 root or mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galaxy S3 root or mod?

Finally got my wife off the apple bandwagon and so far she loves the S3. got the 64g microsd on order. looks like a lot of junk apps you can't delete and also seems like the battery is draining super fast compared to normal.

Any advice on a root or rom that is simple and clean? I got nova launcher today but just not starting to play with it. I'd really like to get rid of all the bloatware but don't want to have her carrying around a buggy phone. Mines a company phone or I would test it first....

I'm on XDA as well, but there are sooo many roms and different options its a little overwhelming for the once in a while rooter.

Comment

It's entirely dependant on the carrier as to what method is used. Personally, I'd root, get Titanium Backup Pro, then backup all apps+ system data, then freeze the bloat.

If there are no problems, then I'd uninstall it. If you discover you might really need that app, reinstall via TiBu.

Saved and Texan by the Grace of God, Redneck by choice.

Comment

you make it sound easy....

We're on ATT. I'll do a little reasearch on freezing it. I've only rooted things in the past and that was a while back

Comment

It is easy after you've been doin it a while, but that doesn't remove the flash/hacking jitters for a first time new device hack.

Basic concepts, how-to'sThis thread is a work in progress. If you would like to contribute information or have ideas for what should be added please PM me. Disclaimer "just because i am trying to be helpful does not make me responsible for...

Comment

You can Disable bloat apps in System/Apps it does not uninstall them it just "freezes" them so that you or the operating system does not use them.

My wife uses the S3 too. Hers is just rooted Stock rom with slight mods, and i different kernel.

The stock rom is going to give you the less bugs.
            92 Undercover SSP Coupe.
            15 GT w/PP

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
              It is easy after you've been doin it a while, but that doesn't remove the flash/hacking jitters for a first time new device hack.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1802160

Thanks for the info, I've been reading up on them. Still haven't done anything but thinking I need to act pretty quickly before she gets to used to the stock stuff

Originally posted by raider5.0 View Post
              You can Disable bloat apps in System/Apps it does not uninstall them it just "freezes" them so that you or the operating system does not use them.

My wife uses the S3 too. Hers is just rooted Stock rom with slight mods, and i different kernel.

The stock rom is going to give you the less bugs.
              Which mods and kernel did you use if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Ok, looking at doing the AOKP by task and Ktoonsez. they seem like a pretty popular one that I would think will stay updated the best. any opinions on this one? Looks like a little work to get it flashed but I may give it a try tomorrow.

Comment

If your wife likes the features of currently on her phone you may want to avoid any roms that aren't touchwiz.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

Comment

Originally posted by RCITNet View Post
                    If your wife likes the features of currently on her phone you may want to avoid any roms that aren't touchwiz.

Sent from my Galaxy S III
                    That definitely. Most aokp or cm10 roms will be pretty basic as far as features go. But if you don't like it you can always go back to the stock rom.

Comment

gotcha. any recommendations just to get rid of the bloatware? Theres so much crap on there we can't delete I'd like to atleast get rid of that and I'd be ok. Theres just sooooo many to choose from. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Originally posted by kpc01 View Post
                        gotcha. any recommendations just to get rid of the bloatware? Theres so much crap on there we can't delete I'd like to atleast get rid of that and I'd be ok. Theres just sooooo many to choose from. Thanks for the advice!
                        You would just need a root for that, to get the permissions changed so that you can uninstall those apps.

Comment

Working...
                        X