Internet Service Provider?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Service Provider?

I'm in no way up to date with this stuff. I currently have ATT dsl and have a modem that's on the fritz. Before I buy a new modem and keep the service I have, is there anything better/faster I should look in to? Is cable modem still around? Is it any better? I don't want a bundle or anything like that.

Verizon Fios if you can get it.
    Half of history is hiding the past.

Comment

I have ATT Uverse and it is pretty strong.

Comment

I had ATT upgraded DSL and saw the speed test on here and tested and I was at .8 and was like WTF so I called ATT and they said that was with in range of acceptable so long story short I switched and did U Verse internet and am now at 12.0 and roughly same money
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
          I'm in no way up to date with this stuff. I currently have ATT dsl and have a modem that's on the fritz. Before I buy a new modem and keep the service I have, is there anything better/faster I should look in to? Is cable modem still around? Is it any better? I don't want a bundle or anything like that.
          You can get stand alone cable internet from an isp for $30/mth or so with speeds much higher than DSL. DSL is the suxorz.

Comment

I remember when DSL was the fastest stuff around.

Comment

Also remember that cable is shared bandwidth, and your speed drops after kids get out of school.
              sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
              17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
              13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
              86 SVO - Sold
              '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
              01 TJ - new toy - Sold
              65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Chas_svo View Post
                Also remember that cable is shared bandwidth, and your speed drops after kids get out of school.
                DSL and uverse you're more likely to see that than with cable. Verizon at least went fiber all the way to the curb or to the house. ATT only went fiber to the node in most areas so you still have the same crappy ass copper going the rest of the way.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

Comment

All good advice in this thread. First you need to research what is available in your area though.
                  Originally posted by MR EDD
                  U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Uverse is fiber optic, is it not? I do not lose any speed during peak home times at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Chvyblzr1972 View Post
                      Uverse is fiber optic, is it not? I do not lose any speed during peak home times at all.
                      its bridged dsl connections

Comment

Originally posted by RCITNet View Post
                        DSL and uverse you're more likely to see that than with cable. Verizon at least went fiber all the way to the curb or to the house. ATT only went fiber to the node in most areas so you still have the same crappy ass copper going the rest of the way.

Sent from my Galaxy S III
                        I never noticed it with either, but my coworkers with cable notice it very day. I had DSL and now have uverse.
                        sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                        17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                        13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                        86 SVO - Sold
                        '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                        01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                        65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

Working...
                        X