Got this for free, need some ideas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got this for free, need some ideas...

Got this for free from a client who said it died and they didn't want it anymore.

Looks just like that but it's black. Lian Li PC-V1200 full tower case. Can't find much about it online, and I'm not sure if any of the hardware in it is good or not. I'd more than likely rebuild it anyway. Just looking for some ideas on what it might (if anything) be best suited for. Home theater server? Giant gaming machine (depending on what kind of hardware it's compatible with)? Paperweight? Scrap? What?

Open it u p and start inventorying the internal hardware.
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
      Open it u p and start inventorying the internal hardware.
      I need to do that still. It housed an old Linux file server at one point, they said it died but it booted and I didn't know the password, and they wanted it wiped and disposed of anyway, so I wiped all the drives so whatever raid configuration they had was blown away.

From what I can gather, it's 5+ years old, so the only thing that may be anything worth keeping in there are the hard drives if they are any good anymore.

Comment

take pics of the internals

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post
          take pics of the internals
          I will do that tonight after I sort out the rat's nest of wires in there...whoever put it together was not concerned with neatness.

I actually found this on one page about them:
          ATX case; five 5.25in drive bays; six 3.5in internal drive bays; acoustic foam lining; aluminium front door; two 120mm fans; no power supply.

I haven't built a computer since 2002, someone tell me what ATX means. Have anything to do with what motherboards/components it will hold?

Comment

standard size motherboard = atx

That case is a beast though, I love that Lian Li shit.

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post
              standard size motherboard = atx

That case is a beast though, I love that Lian Li shit.
              Looking at some of their other models, it seems like they make a decent product. this case is solid as hell, and it's the "silent version," meaning there's foam-rubber lining the sides, and the door on the front has a rubber seal to try and reduce drive noise. Have been without a desktop for some time, so wanted to just use it to build a beefy desktop/media host and/or gaming beast machine, lol. So I'm assuming since it is ATX, whatever I wanted to throw in there should be good to go?

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                Looking at some of their other models, it seems like they make a decent product. this case is solid as hell, and it's the "silent version," meaning there's foam-rubber lining the sides, and the door on the front has a rubber seal to try and reduce drive noise. Have been without a desktop for some time, so wanted to just use it to build a beefy desktop/media host and/or gaming beast machine, lol. So I'm assuming since it is ATX, whatever I wanted to throw in there should be good to go?
                pretty much I don't think eatx boards were popular back then or even common. now you see them a bit more with newer builds.

Comment

If you can boot it up in Linux, paste the output.

dmidecode -t baseboard
                  dmidecode -t processor
                  lspci

Comment

they wanted it wiped and disposed of anyway, so I wiped all the drives so whatever raid configuration they had was blown away.
                    Originally posted by abecx View Post
                    If you can boot it up in Linux, paste the output.

dmidecode -t baseboard
                    dmidecode -t processor
                    lspci
                    Well it's not gonna boot up anymore, sorry if that was unclear, Internet God.

Comment

oh so you dont have a usb stick with a bootable img of linux? Fuck i forgot computers were hard for some people.

Comment

Originally posted by abecx View Post
                        oh so you dont have a usb stick with a bootable img of linux? Fuck i forgot computers were hard for some people.
                        LMAO! I do, somewhere at home. I'll look for it when I get home, and if I can't find it I'll just make another real quick. What are you looking for from the paste, anyway? Just specs of the current system?

Comment

I'd probably guess it's best job in life will be as a NAS server.
                          Originally posted by MR EDD
                          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                            I'd probably guess it's best job in life will be as a NAS server.
                            That's what I figured. Was just wondering if it was possible to swap out all the hardware to update it and use it as a game machine. I guess anything can be done with enough money and ingenuity...

Comment

LMAO! I do, somewhere at home. I'll look for it when I get home, and if I can't find it I'll just make another real quick. What are you looking for from the paste, anyway? Just specs of the current system?
                              yerp, the specs and hardware.

I've been looking for old school cases, they are great for file servers.

Comment

Working...
                              X