SSD bandwagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSD bandwagon

I finally jumped on w/a 128Gig Vertex 4 for $99.

Anyone else have one? What's your experience been like?

Saved and Texan by the Grace of God, Redneck by choice.

Have a 64gig and love it. Have a spare 64g laying on my shelf. Haven't decided what I want to do with it. It's a Corsair, same one I'm using on PC in room.

Comment

I have 2 240gb kingstons, love them. Started with a 60g intel to 120 to 160 then the 240gb kingstons.

use this tool. http://www.techspot.com/downloads/4926-ssd-tweaker.html
      2009 Chevy Tahoe LTZ

2011 GMC Terrain SLT2

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2

Comment

My raid 5 of 4 hard drives is just as fast as my intel on sequential read speed, writes however....

I noticed a HUGE performance increase on my laptop with an SSD, and huge increase in seek time performance on my desktop, although I dont really need it that often.

Comment

I love my new sandisk extreme's. those bitches are FAST.

capped out the controller on my laptop with one drive (600+ mb reads/writes).

I have a ton of ssd's, too many. I need to upgrade my main rig to sata3 so I can use my v4's on them without the need for a raid card.

Comment

2 60gb in my desktop, a 120gb in my laptop. Love them.
            sigpic

Comment

Not sure I'd call it a bandwagon. They are bad ass overall (as mentioned especially replacing crappy laptop HDDs) and coming down in price.
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                Not sure I'd call it a bandwagon. They are bad ass overall (as mentioned especially replacing crappy laptop HDDs) and coming down in price.
                I think an SSD is the biggest performance boost for ANY laptop, it makes it work nearly as smooth as a desktop.

Comment

I've been really interested in the hybrid drives, specifically the Momentus XT drives. Example:

Buy Seagate Momentus XT STBD750100 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 2.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Solid State Hybrid Drive -Retail kit with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

8 gigs of solid state, the rest on traditional hard drive storage medium. Tests with our storage division have come back extremely positive.

Comment

Originally posted by abecx View Post
                    I think an SSD is the biggest performance boost for ANY laptop, it makes it work nearly as smooth as a desktop.
                    Yeah on some Macbook Pros (not arguing Mac vs PC/Other here) we tested one with SSD and one with stock drive. SSD = 4 boots/shutdowns in the time of one boot with stock drive. Granted, drive intensive activity - but still really nice.
                    Originally posted by MR EDD
                    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

If your PC has gobs of RAM, check this out.

AMD seems to believe that consumers are taking advantage of record-low memory prices and would like to help them put that RAM to good use. The semiconductor...

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                        If your PC has gobs of RAM, check this out.

AMD seems to believe that consumers are taking advantage of record-low memory prices and would like to help them put that RAM to good use. The semiconductor...

Thanks for the Link it looks interesting, thankfully I bought my laptop to work today so I'll give this a go.
                        I'm currently using a paid version of RamDisk by Dataram.

RAMDisk increases internet page speed, adds security, accelerates databases, reduces compile times, and controls what files and programs are stored into memory.

Comment

Antonio has all the cool stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                            Antonio has all the cool stuff.

Just a nerd with no real bills.

I was looking at this a few days ago, ssd from my server. Despite the data written, it still has a long life ahead of it.

I've since moved this to an e-sata enclosure and use it on the road with my laptop.
                            Last edited by roliath; 10-25-2012, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                              I've been really interested in the hybrid drives, specifically the Momentus XT drives. Example:

8 gigs of solid state, the rest on traditional hard drive storage medium. Tests with our storage division have come back extremely positive.
                              Just buy more computer memory, it does the same thing and is cheaper.

Comment

Working...
                              X