• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows 8

anyone upgrade last night?

I refuse.

Comment

I've been running windows 8 RC for a few months on one of my home laptops, and I've been in the early adopters program at work (Dell), using Windows 8 on my second work laptop.

So far it's been fine, minus a few minor issues. One being when I get a phone call on my softphone tied to Lync, the pop-up in the system tray does not alert me to who's calling.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
        I've been running windows 8 RC for a few months on one of my home laptops, and I've been in the early adopters program at work (Dell), using Windows 8 on my second work laptop.

So far it's been fine, minus a few minor issues. One being when I get a phone call on my softphone tied to Lync, the pop-up in the system tray does not alert me to who's calling.
        fucking first world problems man

Comment

I've been running the RTM on my atom box for about 70ish days now, I have no issues with it thus far.
          My pro upgrade was processed this morning and I got my key not to long ago, usb flash drive is ready to rock. I will install this on my laptop when I get home this afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post
            anyone upgrade last night?
            I have no plans to, still very happy with Win7. My experience is, skip evey other MS OS. I stayed on XP until Win7 was released.

Comment

I don't really see an advantage to Win 8 unless using a touchscreen.
              كافر

Originally posted by sc281
              Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
              Originally posted by Trick Pony
              ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

Comment

i downloaded it friday night, and been happy with it, easy to use, fast and like the interface.

those that dont use a tablet, or use to a tablet style interface are going to be screwed, if they buy a new laptop or desktop.

just makes me wish that my laptop was touchscreen, but then again they might be one day soon.

Comment

Originally posted by 01vnms4v View Post
                  i downloaded it friday night, and been happy with it, easy to use, fast and like the interface.

those that dont use a tablet, or use to a tablet style interface are going to be screwed, if they buy a new laptop or desktop.

just makes me wish that my laptop was touchscreen, but then again they might be one day soon.
                  Old tech. Ultrabook is not the first, but it is the latest.
                  Originally posted by Taya Kyle, American Gun
                  There comes a time when honest debate, serious diplomatic efforts, and logical arguments have been exhausted and only men and women willing to take up arms against evil will suffice to save the freedom of a nation or continent.

Comment

You don't ever even have to use Metro, the whole touchscreen/tablet talk is simply ignorant. You can do everything with shortcuts, you can have your start button like your used to. you can boot into the desktop and forego metro ui. Like I said, the whole tablet/touchscreen talk is simply ignorant.

Liking it here so far.

two things, my webcam software doesn't work correctly and my razer mice doesn't work that well when switching profiles/dpi.

Comment

Originally posted by roliath View Post
                      You don't ever even have to use Metro, the whole touchscreen/tablet talk is simply ignorant. You can do everything with shortcuts, you can have your start button like your used to. you can boot into the desktop and forego metro ui. Like I said, the whole tablet/touchscreen talk is simply ignorant.

Liking it here so far.

two things, my webcam software doesn't work correctly and my razer mice doesn't work that well when switching profiles/dpi.
                      Since you are adamant that I am fucking ignorant about the touchscreen deal, why don't you detail exactly why someone should upgrade from 7 to 8?
                      كافر

Always better to be an Uncle than a Father. All the fun stuff and none of the expensive stuff.
                      ...from what I've seen on here bcoop knows his shit when it comes to smoking meat.

Comment

Originally posted by HOOCBB View Post
                        Since you are adamant that I am fucking ignorant about the touchscreen deal, why don't you detail exactly why someone should upgrade from 7 to 8?
                        My reason:

Corrupt Win7 computer that would boot to the logo and loop back to the loader. My wife "misplaced" my Win7 boot disk from the safe leaving me with two options.

1. Pay $199 for the full version of Win7,

2. Pay $69 for the upgrade.

System is running fine. I've spent the last few months familiarizing myself with 8 and am pleased overall. This pc is only used for media (movies, music...) so the ui isn't bothering me....it's making things a bit smoother in fact.

Comment

Microcenter has the Pro upgrade for $38.88. I'm interested in a detachable (or maybe convertible if light) as a replacement for my wife's heavy as hell (and out of warranty) m11x.

Comment

Originally posted by diablo rojo View Post
                            My reason:

Corrupt Win7 computer that would boot to the logo and loop back to the loader. My wife "misplaced" my Win7 boot disk from the safe leaving me with two options.

1. Pay $199 for the full version of Win7,

2. Pay $69 for the upgrade.

System is running fine. I've spent the last few months familiarizing myself with 8 and am pleased overall. This pc is only used for media (movies, music...) so the ui isn't bothering me....it's making things a bit smoother in fact.
                            I can understand doing so in that situation, I'm more curious about the why someone would actually want to upgrade. What does 8 give that 7 does not already have?
                            كافر

Comment

Originally posted by HOOCBB View Post
                              I didn't call you ignorant, I said the whole argument about "oh noes you can't use windows 8 unless you have a touchscreen/tablet" is ignorant.

I got my copies for 16 bucks. 16 bucks for a legit license considering I paid nearly 200 for my 7 licenses who can complain?

If you hate metro that's cool, but you DONT NEED TO USE IT EVER. All these options below bring your start button back.

Free:
                              StartIsBack returns Windows 10 and Windows 8 a real fully featured start menu and start button, behaving exactly like the ones in Windows 7. It's totally awesome and easy solution for your new Windows woes.

Pokki is a free Windows 8 Start Menu. Pokki makes it easy to search, access and discover apps, files, settings and power options on your PC.

Lee-Soft creates free power-ups for your Windows desktop including; ViStart, ViPad, ViGlance and ViFind. All fully customisable.

Paid:
                              http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/ - ($4.99 or $4.50 if you like their fb page and get a promo code)
                              http://www.classicstartmenu.com/ - ($19.99)
                              http://www.retroui.com/ - ($4.95)

Ninite includes "Classic Start" as an option.
                              The easiest, fastest way to update or install software. Ninite downloads and installs programs automatically in the background.
                              It is EXACTLY like Windows 7 but with improvements.

Reading Material, as i'm watching the game and don't want to type this shit out.
                              The most talked-about issue in the lead-up to Microsoft's launch of Windows 8 is the new Start screen, featuring the Modern UI. But Windows 8 has so much more than just a revamped interface.

My Desktop

Never need to use Metro.
                              Last edited by roliath; 10-29-2012, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X