Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I retrieve data off my hard drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I retrieve data off my hard drive?

When It powers on it immediately starts to shut down. With it doing this, can I retrieve everything off my hard drive since I'm judt going to be getting a new one. I hadn't backed up in 25 days so I'm trying to get that most recent data.

It may not be the HD that is failing. Do you have another computer? Can you remove your HD, set it up as a slave, and run on another computer?

edit: Your best bet it to post in the computer forum. There are some really smart folks in there

Comment

laptop or desktop?

if it is a laptop, you will need an interface card to connect the HDD to a desktop computer. As for retrieving the data, as long as the HDD isn't fried, it should be able to be set up as a slave drive on a functioning computer and retrieve the important data that way.
      Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

download a livecd, like ubuntu or something see if sees your drive, mount it, get your data off.

Or I use this at work.
        GetDataBack Data Recovery software. Recover data from inaccessible hard drives and USB sticks. Supports Windows NTFS, FAT, exFAT, Apple HFS+, APFS, and Linux EXT.

Works pretty good.

or get a usb to sata dock/connector and connect the hdd to another pc.

Comment

What those guys said. Last time i had a computer that kept immediately shutting down it was due to all the CPU goop being dryed up and CPU overheating. It shut itself down to keep from burning up.
          WRX

Comment

Originally posted by Skidmark View Post
            It may not be the HD that is failing. Do you have another computer? Can you remove your HD, set it up as a slave, and run on another computer?

edit: Your best bet it to post in the computer forum. There are some really smart folks in there
            This is exactly what I did when my HD was failing. I didn't know it would actually work, but was pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Using one of these is my preferred method.

Saved and Texan by the Grace of God, Redneck by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                Using one of these is my preferred method.

Saved and Texan by the Grace of God, Redneck by choice.
                Agreed.

Comment

are you in garland or near the galleria? I have one of those cables Bryan posted that you can use.

Comment

Working...
                  X