Anyone taken the A+ or Network+ recently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone taken the A+ or Network+ recently

and want to share any study materials? I've always heard the A+ cert is worthless so never bothered to pursue it but probably about to start job hunting. I want to make sure my resume doesn't wind up in the trash because some HR person scanning for keywords doesn't see it.

I took the A+ about a month ago, but my only study materials were www.cbtnuggets.com, Visual CertExam Manager, and www.examcollection.com. Most of it was stuff I already knew, but the other stuff helped to review and the practice exams helped tremendously.

GeorgeG. just gave me a 2006ish Network+ book, but I have been so busy at work that I haven't even cracked it open yet. That's on the agenda for the next few weeks before I take the exam.

Comment

I can sell you one of those massive A+ books. I took a class at TCC in 2011. Used, opened less than five times. lol If you have the knowledge base to skip the A+ then do it. Im not sure what the next step up is though, because the A+ is so generalized.

Comment

IMO, unless you're a repair tech, I wouldn't necessarily bother with the A+. Not to say the information couldn't be useful but from someone that started in tech support to help desk to system admin to network admin, I can say that I've never needed to know most of what's discussed in the A+ book. I think that's because most companies (probably a Dell shop) that buy a high volume of pc's will also buy the 3 year on-site support from Dell.

When something goes wrong, you call Dell support and they'll either send the part or send a tech. Even if you troubleshoot it yourself, 9 times out of 10 the phone tech is going to walk you through their troubleshooting steps anyway.

I also think the next step after an A+ would be to become Dell/HP/whom ever certified since that, to me, goes along with being a hardware tech.

If your goal is to become a system admin, then I'd get the Network + and then just learn a Windows client OS and focus on Windows Server.

Again, I'm not knocking the A+. I just never saw the need for it and not having it didn't hurt my career. Good luck to you.

Comment

You want this? PM me.

Here's how you can acquire new software skills in CompTIA A+ (Exam 220-802) – the exclusive online course is powered by VTC.

The CompTIA A certification is the most recognized IT certification
          in the industry. CompTIA A certification validates the foundation
          level knowledge and skills necessary for a career in IT support.
          CompTIA A certified technicians have a reputation for not only
          knowing the technical aspects of their jobs but also for exercising
          excellent communication skills when working with clients. To achieve
          this certification, candidates must pass two exams: Exam 220-801 and
          Exam 220-802. In this VTC course, A certified instructor Mark Long
          will help you understand the concepts and information you need to
          know to prepare for the 220-802 exam

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
            IMO, unless you're a repair tech, I wouldn't necessarily bother with the A+. Not to say the information couldn't be useful but from someone that started in tech support to help desk to system admin to network admin, I can say that I've never needed to know most of what's discussed in the A+ book. I think that's because most companies (probably a Dell shop) that buy a high volume of pc's will also buy the 3 year on-site support from Dell.

When something goes wrong, you call Dell support and they'll either send the part or send a tech. Even if you troubleshoot it yourself, 9 times out of 10 the phone tech is going to walk you through their troubleshooting steps anyway.

I also think the next step after an A+ would be to become Dell/HP/whom ever certified since that, to me, goes along with being a hardware tech.

If your goal is to become a system admin, then I'd get the Network + and then just learn a Windows client OS and focus on Windows Server.

Again, I'm not knocking the A+. I just never saw the need for it and not having it didn't hurt my career. Good luck to you.
            Yeah, we had this discussion over lunch. The only real reason I got the A+ cert was because I already knew all the material and work offered a raise plus test fee reimbursement if I got certified, so there was no reason for me not to.

Comment

oh yeah, if work is paying for it AND offering a raise....I'd knock that out too! I wouldn't pass up free money Now crack open that Net+ book! chop! chop!

Comment

oh yeah, if work is paying for it AND offering a raise....I'd knock that out too! I wouldn't pass up free money Now crack open that Net+ book! chop! chop!
                I'm working on it. Also trying to house-hunt and have other personal issues keeping me from it, but it's pretty damn close to the top of my priority list. Thanks again, by the way.

Comment

Did A+ long ago, the only thing it was ever good for was the bottom of my resume, and I never had any employer ask about it.
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I took the A+ back in 1994... and Security+ in 2009 (both I remember that it's just a ton of regurgitation of the same material over and over. Almost overkill on worthless info)

Never took the Network+, but I do have a CCNA that's expired

Comment

You'd be surprised at how many large scale enterprise operations have out of warranty servers running in production, that rely on individuals internally to troubleshoot hardware and order parts on the cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                        I took the A+ back in 1994... and Security+ in 2009 (both I remember that it's just a ton of regurgitation of the same material over and over. Almost overkill on worthless info)

Never took the Network+, but I do have a CCNA that's expired
                        Look at the big brain on Matt!
                        Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                        HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

I ran through a couple of brain dumps for the newest test and the only things I wasn't sure about was some shit about thermal and impact printers. The rest of it was cake. My current employer will pay for it so I'll probably go knock it out next week. I doubt I'd ever renew it. I just want as much shit as I can get on my resume to get my foot in the door somewhere.

My plan is get my A+, Net+ and Security+, then start studying for CCNA and MCSE. I'm not really sure what I want to do yet with my career. I'm a couple classes away from getting my associates in security/lan admin and I really enjoy the security side of things but need to get some sys/network admin experience under my belt first. I do helpdesk work now but it's low level sw support and some workstation hw.

Comment

Fuck the A+. How many pins on a DDR3 stick of RAM? Who gives a fuck? If it fits, it (more than likely) works.
                            How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X