Networking Guys...question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Networking Guys...question

I have a couple of guys that go to client sites often, and want to use their client's wireless connection for internet while simultaneously using their unmanaged 4-port switch to fileshare between their two laptops. Is this even possible? How would you set that up? I'm assuming the unmanaged switch wouldn't give them an IP so the ethernet adapter would have to be manually configured to a static IP, but I've never dealt with a laptop using two connections simultaneously so could use some help. TIA.

I also learned something.
    How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

Depends, but I would think those are setup to support that. Don't know for sure, never used one.

Connect one of the laptops to it and see what IP address gets assigned. Then connect the other and see if they get unique IPs. If they do, your done pretty much. Local DHCP is setup and makes it easy. "\\ to the IP of the other PC locally and hit a share you setup.

If they don't get unique IPs or are unable to simultaneously connect: ( I don't think you will have to go here, but just in case)

If an external IP, you *may* be able to static the next IP up in the range, and leave the default gateway blank. (same subnet mask) this would let the first PC get to the internet, and the second PC only to be able to get to the other PC, via SMB:\\ to the IP of the main box, or vise versa.

With my Air Card, I think I get assigned an external IP from Verizon.

If they get a 10.x.x.x internal IP, the 4 port may hand out local DHCP and you just "\\ to the IP of the other box.
      If they for some reason do not get assigned unique IPs, connect the first PC, record the IP and static the other machine to the next IP up in the range, leave the default gateway blank. The 1st machine would get to the internet and both machines could talk to each other locally.

The more I was thinking about this and typing it out, the more I think your not going to have to mess with static IP'ing things. You should be able to connect 4 PCs up and they all get unique internal IPs I would think. Seems pretty mean to give you 4 ports, then not setup the functionality for 4 machines to work simultaneously. They should all be givin unique IPs, the only way they would not would be if they were doing something fancy with port mapping, which I don't see being super supportable for an end user unless they were forced to do this to conserve IP space.
      WRX

Comment

Sorry I just re-read your post. Yes this will work.

Static assign the wired NICs to

PC 1
        192.168.0.1 / no default gateway / subnet mask 255.255.255.0

PC 2
        192.168.0.2 / no default gateway / subnet mask 255.255.255.0

And follow the remaining instruction Geor's link posted.
        WRX

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys. I got it to work out, although not the way they wanted. They are doing file transfers through an accounting program (Prosystems FX Engagement - the bane of my existence) and there was a setting in there that caches network location info of the party they are trying to reach. Had to clear that out also. Still didn't work the way they said it had worked in the past. Problem is, they have reserved IPs at their home base handled by their domain controller dhcp, and when they travel out of their network and plug into this little switch, the program doesn't like it.
          Last edited by Ratt; 05-09-2013, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Use a small in-home router with multiple ports instead of a switch. Forget the WAN port/setup, just use the switch ports. Set up the the DHCP on the router to lease out the same IP address as the one they use in the office.

Why such a complicated setup? Why aren't they using their wireless adapters to fileshare?

Comment

What you're asking is possible as proven by removing DFGW and providing all the routes for the non-internet connected NIC.

Still not sure why you're doing this one though. I rarely do it and typically am the odd duck that does need to do it.
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by S_K View Post
                Use a small in-home router with multiple ports instead of a switch. Forget the WAN port/setup, just use the switch ports. Set up the the DHCP on the router to lease out the same IP address as the one they use in the office.

Why such a complicated setup? Why aren't they using their wireless adapters to fileshare?
                Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                What you're asking is possible as proven by removing DFGW and providing all the routes for the non-internet connected NIC.

Still not sure why you're doing this one though. I rarely do it and typically am the odd duck that does need to do it.
                This client is especially hard-headed. They want to pay our company for IT consulting and then do not want to listen. I'm not sure why they don't use wireless to fileshare other than they feel like it's "not safe." Their words, not mine.

Side note: You should see their file permission. They're so jacked up it's unbelievable

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                  This client is especially hard-headed. They want to pay our company for IT consulting and then do not want to listen. I'm not sure why they don't use wireless to fileshare other than they feel like it's "not safe." Their words, not mine.

Side note: You should see their file permission. They're so jacked up it's unbelievable
                  Gotta love ones that think wireless is insecure but then set up shares with everyone full control or shove everyone in domain admin group
                  2013 F150 STX Supercab 5.0L w/3.55 LSD
                  1990 GT Convertible

Comment

Working...
                  X