Server room / data center guys - i need a server lift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server room / data center guys - i need a server lift

anyone know where i can either a) rent a server lift or b) purchase one with quick turnaround? Don't need any bells and whistles, a manual lift will do just fine.

sorry, I don't have much to add other than to ask why two guys couldn't do it. I actually didn't know such a thing existed.

Comment

I just used a lift from sunbelt for installing Nexus switches up high. That or 4 people.....or 4 people and the lift.
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
        sorry, I don't have much to add other than to ask why two guys couldn't do it. I actually didn't know such a thing existed.
        We could do it with 2 techs, but i'm only 1 and my engineers are in the field commissioning sites. I have 9 racks full of RF equipment that I have to transfer into seismic rated racks, same config just a different housing.

When i worked at IBM we used a crank-style lift to get the servers up to rail height then you could just push it onto the rails and be done. With the stuff i work on now, it's all angle brackets and face mounts so i need something that can slide into the rack and hold a piece of equipment in place until i can bolt it in.

Comment

That's what we used, but did not see it on sunbelt's site. The last I did this was in El Paso, but it worked pretty well.

Comment

Oh ok...I was only thinking about the average 2u and 4u gear. I wasn't thinking about Nexus stuff or relocating numerous racks. Sounds like fun!

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
              Oh ok...I was only thinking about the average 2u and 4u gear. I wasn't thinking about Nexus stuff or relocating numerous racks. Sounds like fun!
              We moved one of the giant Nexus switches (full of blades) for a company about a month ago. There were 5 of us and that bitch was still heavy. Luckily it was just setting in the bottom of one rack and we have to put it in a truck and move it to another building where it would go in the bottom of another rack.

Comment

Yeah, and handles are not intended for moving.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
                  Yeah, and handles are not intended for moving.
                  Yeah, those handles are useless. Especially when you're sliding the bitch in/out of a rack.

Comment

I've used those furniture/appliance/fridge moving straps from home-depot (2 guys) where you brace the load on your fore arms. Then the other 1 or 2 guys mounts the shelf. So that takes 3 guys.

Comment

Afterwards, go to 5 Guys and get a burger, you'll be hungry working alone!

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                        Afterwards, go to 5 Guys and get a burger, you'll be hungry working alone!
                        And don't forget to expense it!

Comment

Working...
                        X