Wireless inop on laptop if ethernet cable plugged in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless inop on laptop if ethernet cable plugged in

I'm on my laptop and the wireless connection is working fine. I'm trying to set up my extra wireless router to bridge mode, so I connected to it via ethernet cable (but the extra router itself is not connected to the modem/internet yet). When the ethernet cable is plugged in, my laptop wireless stops working. If I want it to work, all I have to do is unplug the cable and it's fine. Is there some setting in Windows 7 that sets the priority to wired internet and if that's not working then nothing else works?

So here's an interesting situation I ran into when using Windows 7 connected to both my Ethernet network and my wireless network at home: whenever I would transfer data between [...]

Network metric hardcode on your NIC adapters. Good write up on the article above.
    WRX

Comment

Fak the steps in the article didnt work.

Comment

My question is, why do you need to have both at the same time?

Comment

copy/paste the output of a "route print" command when both are plugged in.

However, what is the goal here? Typically I'll use wireless for Inet access if I'm wired into a private network or something. Generally though, you would only use one or the other.
          Originally posted by MR EDD
          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Like I said in my original post, I had a secondary router plugged into the laptop to set it up in bridge mode using the Linksys Smart-Fi software. The router was not hooked up to the internet, just simply plugged into my laptop. While it was plugged in, I was looking at the instructions on the web on how to do it, thus using the wireless. It was just annoying to be in the middle of the router setup, only to have to disconnect it if I wanted to direct to another page on the net.

Comment

so you just want it to not switch to the NIC when you plug the cable in?

Comment

Originally posted by ZYouL8R View Post
                Like I said in my original post, I had a secondary router plugged into the laptop to set it up in bridge mode using the Linksys Smart-Fi software. The router was not hooked up to the internet, just simply plugged into my laptop. While it was plugged in, I was looking at the instructions on the web on how to do it, thus using the wireless. It was just annoying to be in the middle of the router setup, only to have to disconnect it if I wanted to direct to another page on the net.
                That's generally how most computers operate unless you have it set up differently. Just copy/paste and/or take screen shots of the instructions.. It's much easier than configuring your laptop to use two different network interface connections at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                X