HAHA! This made Yahoo headline news.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAHA! This made Yahoo headline news.

Seriously, I open Yahoo, and this was the second scrolling headline story.

Video game starship worth $9,000 destroyed in ambush

Fake ship, real money (Credit: CCP Games)Imagine spending years devoting your time and your finances to acquiring an impressive video game spaceship, one of the biggest and most valuable the gaming world has ever seen.

Now imagine all of that work being destroyed in minutes.

One player of the long-running online game EVE Online experienced that horror Sunday, when an ambush destroyed his supercarrier valued at a whopping $9,000.

The massive world of EVE Online is all about buying, piloting and blowing up spaceships. It’s not for the faint at heart, in part because its in-game currency, called ISK (Interstellar Kredits), carries a real-world value. The Revenant -- one of only three ships that big in existence -- carries a value of 309 billion ISK, making it among the priciest bits of code in the game.

That also made it quite the target.

The ambush played out with plenty of intrigue. Players in the Pandemic Legion received an SOS and assumed it was a player in distress. It turns out the player they had put in charge of leading their fleet was actually a spy for an opposing group, who led them directly into a bunch of dreadnaughts and supercarriers. The owner of the Revenant, a player named TSID, could do little to stop the virtual bloodbath, and the rest is EVE Online history.

The economy in EVE Online is a living thing. CCP, the game's developer, actually has an economist in-house who monitors the virtual world, working to curb inflation or introducing new types of technology to absorb currency. It’s like a virtual Federal Reserve, selling bonds to shrink the money supply.

Technically, players cannot exchange ISK for real-world cash, but CCP does let them use that in-game currency to buy real-world objects (such as graphics cards) and 30-day game time codes.

This isn't the first time the game has seen major losses. Eight months ago, a ship carrying valuable blueprints worth $6,000 in real-world money was destroyed by other players. And while losing a $9,000 spaceship is a serious bummer, the Revenant is still a far cry from the most expensive video game object, an honor held by a $350,000 space station in fellow online world Project Entropia.
    Stevo
    Originally posted by SSMAN
    ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

They took my battle ostrich!!!

Sent from my LGL45C using Tapatalk 2
    "We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

lol good lord man, that is insane.

I don't know what the fuck is going on, but this is it.

1:20 is when they blow it up.
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Mute that shit if you're going to watch it. Why do they repeat everything 50 times really fucking fast? So annoying. I think I would just quit forever after that if I were that TSID guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
          Mute that shit if you're going to watch it. Why do they repeat everything 50 times really fucking fast? So annoying. I think I would just quit forever after that if I were that TSID guy.
          I think he was calling targets, but doing it like that is fucking retarded.

The time sink and loss factor is the reason I quit playing EVE, along with the fact that they SOLD my two accounts, one of which they refused to give back.

Stevo
          Originally posted by SSMAN
          ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

n.e.r.d.s.!!!!

Comment

Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

This was quite entertaining to watch, especially since I play EVE. For those that don't know, the training system for EVE is real time. The skills that you train have a modifier which determines how long a skill takes to level up. The modifier runs 1x 8x. Meaning if level 1 takes 14 minutes, level two may take 35 minutes, and it trains in real time. I've been playing the game a little over a year and a half and some of the ships they mention would require me training over 140 days for me to be able to fly them. The risk in this game is real in the sense that you actually have something to lose. There's not start from a save point. You get your ship blown up and it's gone.
                Originally posted by Jester
                Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
                He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
                Originally posted by Denny
                What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
                FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                  This was quite entertaining to watch, especially since I play EVE. For those that don't know, the training system for EVE is real time. The skills that you train have a modifier which determines how long a skill takes to level up. The modifier runs 1x 8x. Meaning if level 1 takes 14 minutes, level two may take 35 minutes, and it trains in real time. I've been playing the game a little over a year and a half and some of the ships they mention would require me training over 140 days for me to be able to fly them. The risk in this game is real in the sense that you actually have something to lose. There's not start from a save point. You get your ship blown up and it's gone.
                  I wish I would have kept up training when I quit. I have 40ish million skill points

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
                    I wish I would have kept up training when I quit. I have 40ish million skill points
                    You still have your toon?
                    Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.

Comment

Yes sir

Comment

He should play GTA5 instead.

Comment

Yes sir
                          Any interest in getting rid of it?

Comment

Perhaps. let me log in and see what he see what all he has

Comment

Perhaps. let me log in and see what he see what all he has
                              If you're not subscribed, you can do a 4 hour PLEX time, where you have 4 hours to load or buy a plex. If you don't want to keep him, I'm interested in taking him off your hands. I think it's 2 plex to do a transfer, which I'll pay.

Comment

Working...
                              X