Networking the house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Networking the house

With the remodel going, it is time to pull cat6 throughout the house. Is there any reason not to go with prefab cables? It can save me a lot of time and money on tools by using some monoprice prefab cat 6 cables and a coupler keystone outlet. Im running 2 cables per room so I need a total of 16 (3 bedrooms, office, computer desk, living room, 4 cameras) runs or so. Is there a reason not to use prefab vs crimping my own?

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
    With the remodel going, it is time to pull cat6 throughout the house. Is there any reason not to go with prefab cables? It can save me a lot of time and money on tools by using some monoprice prefab cat 6 cables and a coupler keystone outlet. Im running 2 cables per room so I need a total of 16 (3 bedrooms, office, computer desk, living room, 4 cameras) runs or so. Is there a reason not to use prefab vs crimping my own?
    I bought a roll of cat5 on ebay at one point and it included the crimper. It was like $30 for everything....If cat6 uses the same crimper I will gladly loan it to you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

If your doing custom runs in a home remodel I'd just buy the spool of cat6 and buy the ends and buy/borrow a crimper.
      2013 F150 STX Supercab 5.0L w/3.55 LSD
      1990 GT Convertible

Comment

I guess Im looking to take the lazy approach. Crimping terminal ends sucks. There is a nice EZ crimp system but it is pricey. These things are tedious and boring to me. Im already sick up pulling electrical cable and installing light switches and power outlets.

Comment

I guess Im looking to take the lazy approach. Crimping terminal ends sucks. There is a nice EZ crimp system but it is pricey. These things are tedious and boring to me. Im already sick up pulling electrical cable and installing light switches and power outlets.
          Are you just planning to home run from a closet and punch down to a jack in each room/drop? If so then no crimping for that part of things.
          1990 GT Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by stang2be View Post
            Are you just planning to home run from a closet and punch down to a jack in each room/drop? If so then no crimping for that part of things.
            Yes... I dont know why I thought I would be crimping each wire. The punch down is much easier. Hell, I think they make jacks now that dont even need a tool.

Comment

Yes... I dont know why I thought I would be crimping each wire. The punch down is much easier. Hell, I think they make jacks now that dont even need a tool.
              If not the jacks might come with it. If not a basic plastic one should be cheap. I agree though cutting and crimping is a pain in the butt.
              1990 GT Convertible

Comment

prefab x10000. are you pairing with a cable outlet?

Comment

Originally posted by Grant View Post
                  prefab x10000. are you pairing with a cable outlet?
                  Yes... each room gets 2 cat 6 + 1 coax.

Comment

Might look at running speaker wire too, if you're ever planning on running in-wall speakers for zoning. Pretty cheap and now would be the time to do it..

Comment

Not doing whole house audio....ordering wall plates, speaker wire and banana plugs for 5.1 surround sound for the living room.

Comment

Has cat-6 finally become reasonable and reliable? Last I checked it was still double the price and there was some issues.

I just ran a bunch of cat5e through my house. gigabit network should still be plenty for many many years.
                        "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

Remember those RJ45 connectors are large in comparison to the cable itself. So, anywhere you run it will need a hole that size.

Also, every time I've taken this approach - I've eventually broken a tab off. Which then I promptly had to remove the connector and put a new one on anyway.

Personally I'd run them without connectors and terminate where ever needed with 1-2' of slack built into it on each side.
                          Originally posted by MR EDD
                          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Newbie question: What's wrong with a wireless router? What's the advantage of going wired when everything is going wireless?
                            Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

Buy 2 boxes of cat 5e. If you are doing 2 pulls per location, it will make it easier to pull both home runs at the same time.
                              03 cobra

Comment

Working...
                              X