Surface 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surface 2

Anyone have it? Do you like it? I have been checking out reviews on YouTube and from what I have seen, I like. I might head to the store to mess with it and if I dig it ill grab one or i will try to grab one after Thanksgiving.

I have the first Surface Pro. Looks like on the 2, the kickstand has several positions rather than just one.

I downloaded the 8.1 which includes the new start button, that's nice.

Comment

Just remember, the plain jane surface 2 has windows RT, so you can't use regular windows software on it. If your OK with that, then you're good. Of course, you still get Office. That can be particularly useful.

I was seriously considering the Surface Pro 2 but the elected to release it without any mobile connectivity (LTE). I need that for my work so today I upgraded my iPad 3 to an iPad Air.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
        I have the first Surface Pro. Looks like on the 2, the kickstand has several positions rather than just one.

I downloaded the 8.1 which includes the new start button, that's nice.
        Don't confuse people. That Start button just toggles between the Desktop mode and the Metro UI mode. At least they now built in a skip-to-desktop-on-boot feature. Our end users are having hella trouble with Windows 8, lol.

Comment

that's true...I hope I didn't confuse anyone.

Another tip, and I'll have to wait till I get home to confirm, but I think mine is the 32gb and after installing Office and copying a couple of ISO's, there wasn't a whole lot of free space left...and that's with no music or pics. So if you plan on getting the Pro, I'd spring for at least the 64 gb.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
            that's true...I hope I didn't confuse anyone.

Another tip, and I'll have to wait till I get home to confirm, but I think mine is the 32gb and after installing Office and copying a couple of ISO's, there wasn't a whole lot of free space left...and that's with no music or pics. So if you plan on getting the Pro, I'd spring for at least the 64 gb.
            The first Surface Pro was bullshit, especially the 32 GB model. Here's why:

Windows 8.1
            If you want to run Windows 8.1 on your PC, here's what it takes:
            • Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2 (more info)
            • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
            • Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
            • Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

That leaves less than 16 GB for the rest of whatever you want to put on there, if you keep the recommended 16 GB for the OS intact. Now let's throw in office:

Office 2013 requirements
            • 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster x86- or x64-bit processor with SSE2 instruction set
            • 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit); 2 gigabytes (GB) RAM (64-bit)
            • 3.0 gigabytes (GB) available
            • Graphics hardware acceleration requires a DirectX10 graphics card and a 1024 x 576 or higher resolution monitor

So that leaves less than ~13 GB left on the hard drive. Throw in anything else on a normal computer after Windows updates, office updates, documents, etc, not counting music and pictures and you have no room left.

You're going to need at least 64 GB of space, probably 128, to even be functional as a laptop SUPPLEMENT.

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
              Just remember, the plain jane surface 2 has windows RT, so you can't use regular windows software on it. If your OK with that, then you're good. Of course, you still get Office. That can be particularly useful.

I was seriously considering the Surface Pro 2 but the elected to release it without any mobile connectivity (LTE). I need that for my work so today I upgraded my iPad 3 to an iPad Air.
              So, you're stating that it being restricted to apps it can run was a problem, so you got an ipad?

I'm so confused.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post
                So, you're stating that it being restricted to apps it can run was a problem, so you got an ipad?

I'm so confused.
                I have an iPad for work because we have a Citrix server. Otherwise I would just have bought an ultrabook.

Comment

Yeah Neil, 12-13 gigs is about what I have left. I'll probably add a microSD card for additional storage and see how that works.

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus View Post

I'm so confused.
                    Hmm, I'm not sure how lack of LTE connectivity translated to me having any issue with their apps. My comments on the apps was just a statement of fact and not any sort of commentary on my preference. The fact that it has MS Office is a huge plus over any other device. It's that lack of LTE connectivity that kills if for my use case.

Comment

I just got one at work wendsday

i so far prefered the size and weight of my dell tablet but I can do almost all of my tasks on the surface pro2 because the stylus and screen size makes it easy.

the magnetic connectons are awsome but the stylus needs a slot to put it in vs the magnetic attachment

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                        The first Surface Pro was bullshit, especially the 32 GB model. Here's why:

Windows 8.1
                        If you want to run Windows 8.1 on your PC, here's what it takes:
                        • Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2 (more info)
                        • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
                        • Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
                        • Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

That leaves less than 16 GB for the rest of whatever you want to put on there, if you keep the recommended 16 GB for the OS intact. Now let's throw in office:

Office 2013 requirements
                        • 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster x86- or x64-bit processor with SSE2 instruction set
                        • 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit); 2 gigabytes (GB) RAM (64-bit)
                        • 3.0 gigabytes (GB) available
                        • Graphics hardware acceleration requires a DirectX10 graphics card and a 1024 x 576 or higher resolution monitor

So that leaves less than ~13 GB left on the hard drive. Throw in anything else on a normal computer after Windows updates, office updates, documents, etc, not counting music and pictures and you have no room left.

You're going to need at least 64 GB of space, probably 128, to even be functional as a laptop SUPPLEMENT.

I just verified that mine is 64gb and I have roughly 16 gb left after installing Office and copying about 8 gb of videos.... just FYI.

Comment

Working...
                        X