Help, think if FUBARED my phone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, think if FUBARED my phone.

About six months ago I rooted my phone. Why, I'm not sure as I never did anything special with my phone that I could not do before.

Anyways, this morning my phone gets a notification that there is an update available and to click to apply update.

I did that.

Now my phone wont boot up, it just gets stuck at the Samsung screen during startup. (Samsung galaxy s3 on Sprint).

I have tried taking the battery out and restarting, etc. No luck.

Am I fucked? I do have an upgrade available but any phone I would consider using is still $199+ I'd rather just use this one for a while.

TIA,
    Taylor

That's why you don't apply carrier updates on a rooted phone. However, you should still be able to recover it by unrooting and starting over again. This is normally as simple as just loading the stock kernel back on the phone with ODIN and rebooting.
    Last edited by LS1Goat; 12-09-2013, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Go into recovery and wipe cache+dalvik and reboot. Post back afterwards por favor.

Edit:After consulting with the Alliance ROM Samdung guru's, they said to locate the full rom Odin package of the EXACT same rom you were on and reflash it. It may or may not wipe your data, but it will restore the phone to operating condition
      Last edited by Tx Redneck; 12-09-2013, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
        That's why you don't apply carrier updates on a rooted phone. However, you should still be able to recover it by unrooting and starting over again. This is normally as simple as just loading the stock kernel back on the phone with ODIN and rebooting.
        trust me, I totally forgot I rooted my phone. Rooted it one day to try and play emulated games via bluetooth playstation controller, couldn't get it to work and never messed with rooting etc again. Fast forward six months and seeing this update right when I wake up and blindly hitting OK...

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
        Go into recovery and wipe cache+dalvik and reboot. Post back afterwards por favor.

Edit:After consulting with the Alliance ROM Samdung guru's, they said to locate the full rom Odin package of the EXACT same rom you were on and reflash it. It may or may not wipe your data, but it will restore the phone to operating condition
        I have the .tar file I used to "root" my phone originally, if that's what you mean by the full ROM.

I put my phone into download mode, loaded the .tar file under PDA on Odin and hit start. (Same exact process as first time).

Got a "Success!" message from Odin. However, my phone will not get past the SAMSUNG loading screen.

This sucks!

Comment

No, that was only the kernel, or maybe even the Su binaries. Go to xda and locate the full rom of the same version FOR Sprint. Any other carrier version will surely brick your device.

Comment

What's the point of rooting your phone in the first place and what would one accomplish?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2
            Non tapatalk Sig so the butt hurt va-JJs can stop crying about not being able to turn it off.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
              No, that was only the kernel, or maybe even the Su binaries. Go to xda and locate the full rom of the same version FOR Sprint. Any other carrier version will surely brick your device.
              Not having much luck finding the stock rom to download.. Been on XDA for a while. Seems I found a page on xda with a download link and the website that I would download it from has been permanently closed.

Knew I shouldn't have messed with this phone..

Comment

Originally posted by petyweestraw View Post
                What's the point of rooting your phone in the first place and what would one accomplish?

Don't do it!

Comment

If you can still get it into download mode, then it's not fully bricked as of yet. If flashing the stock ROM and Kernel via ODIN doesn't work, then try seeing if Samsung KIES will communicate with it in download mode.
                  Last edited by LS1Goat; 12-09-2013, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by petyweestraw View Post

You can control the core apps to save battery life, you can make the volume up button switch song tracks when the screen is off, you can make the power button turn on the flashlight., you can customize the LED indicator to change a different color for voicemail, texts, messenger, etc. Just makes it custom.

Personally, I don't need to do any of that, so I wont risk bricking my phone. Especially since 4.3 android makes it to where you can't use an older ROM and mine decided to update to that.

Comment

Go here, make a thread and they'll let you know what to do. I would tell you to odin back to the previous version, but it could hard brick it depending on the software it's actually on.

The Galaxy S III is the successor to Samsung's best-selling Galaxy S II. It has a bigger, 4.8" 720p display. This variant has a dual-core Qualcomm processor and supports 4G LTE. It packs NFC, wireless charging capability, and the latest wireless radios. It ships with Samsung's Nature UX...

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                        You can control the core apps to save battery life, you can make the volume up button switch song tracks when the screen is off, you can make the power button turn on the flashlight., you can customize the LED indicator to change a different color for voicemail, texts, messenger, etc. Just makes it custom.

Personally, I don't need to do any of that, so I wont risk bricking my phone. Especially since 4.3 android makes it to where you can't use an older ROM and mine decided to update to that.
                        Yeah don't sound like its worth the headache.

Non tapatalk Sig so the butt hurt va-JJs can stop crying about not being able to turn it off.

Comment

Originally posted by 90GT50 View Post
                          Go here, make a thread and they'll let you know what to do. I would tell you to odin back to the previous version, but it could hard brick it depending on the software it's actually on.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s3-sprint/help
                          No they wont. They will tell me to use the search function and that this issue has been covered multiple times.

Comment

I haven't messed with S3 in a while. The boot loader was locked on them. If I am correct you may have updated the bootloader. Which will mean that you have to downgrade back to one that is probably pre 4.2 build.

I have a S3 that I messed up by flashing CM and then went back to stock and ever since it won't connect to mobile date to save its life.

Good luck, and hope you figure it out. With the s3 being slow on devs you might have a hard time locating and getting help.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
                            92 Undercover SSP Coupe.
                            15 GT w/PP

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor View Post
                              No they wont. They will tell me to use the search function and that this issue has been covered multiple times.
                              Lie and say you can't find it then. There will always be cocksuckers who tell you to search, even if it hasn't been posted yet, they'll say it has been, lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X