Cutting the cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting the cable

For those that have ditched sattelite/cable what are your setups for content? HTPC, ota DVR etc.

I mostly use my Xbox for Netflix, hulu(use a friend's account), ESPN and HBO Go(use my mom's account). Any cable shows me or the wife want to see, we buy of the Vudu app, next day episodes.

I really just care about sports, so I worry once football season is over and I wanna watch basketball, I might get it back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by emg View Post
      I mostly use my Xbox for Netflix, hulu(use a friend's account), ESPN and HBO Go(use my mom's account). Any cable shows me or the wife want to see, we buy of the Vudu app, next day episodes.

I really just care about sports, so I worry once football season is over and I wanna watch basketball, I might get it back.

What do episodes cost on vudu?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jefehbk View Post
        What do episodes cost on vudu?
        I think it's $2 a episode or you can buy the season for like $20. You get them the next day after they air, it's not bad. That's how I watched the last season of breaking bad and how I'm watching the waking dead now.

Comment

Hmmmmmm I dismissed vudu when it first hit cus it had nothing to offer really. Been wanting to drop my 200+ a month cable bill for a while now

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2
          Non tapatalk Sig so the butt hurt va-JJs can stop crying about not being able to turn it off.

Comment

We ditched our two HD DVR boxes, HBO, etc and now we use only Netflix and Hulu Plus via the PS3. We cut our monthly bill $150+.

Comment

You can still watch a lot of TV via tablet apps and whatnot. ABC/NBC, ESPN and almost every movie channel (those require a subscription, so you'll have to do what you have to do) Nextflix, Amazon video, Hulu. We don't have cable at the house and I don't miss it one bit.

Comment

couchtuner.eu is a decent site and if you're an android user, here's two apps. https://copy.com/mVd3h

Comment

Netflix, Amazon Prime
                  Last edited by Tx Redneck; 01-03-2014, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Yeah my directv is up to $130/mo, and I know I could negotiate it down but we really don't use it much. I already pay for netflix and amazon prime so I already have two services...

Any ideas of getting FSW for Ranger's games? I know I could get MLB network but I think they blackout local games.

Comment

Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon.

I use a roku now, love it. I used to use a HTPC, just got tired of configuring all this shit.
                      2009 Chevy Tahoe LTZ

2011 GMC Terrain SLT2

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2

Comment

How is Amazon vs Netflix? I would love to cut mycable, but Netflix isn't what it used to be, and Hulu is fucking terrible.
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                          How is Amazon vs Netflix? I would love to cut mycable, but Netflix isn't what it used to be, and Hulu is fucking terrible.
                          Amazon isn't all that bad, but it isn't any better than Hulu or Netflix. The streaming video is just a side benefit... I like the free 2 day shipping etc.

Comment

Originally posted by hunt4m3x View Post
                            Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon.

I use a roku now, love it. I used to use a HTPC, just got tired of configuring all this shit.
                            My first thought was to build a HTPC with my old gaming PC. Now I'm thinking about using it as a media server running Plex and then have Roku's handle playback and streaming services.
                            Last edited by jakesford; 01-07-2014, 12:55 AM.

Comment

I use a Roku3 in the main LR, then have Chromecasts to the tv's in my office and bedroom.

I've use Hulu and Amazon on the Roku (as well as a few sub channels for add'l content) and use the Hulu along with my mediaserver for slinging data to the Chromecasts.

Amazon Prime pays for itself with the free shipping. One christmas season of presents pays for itself. Hulu on the other hand is ok, but I'm disappointed in a lot thats offered.

I think its the same thing that killed Netflix for me - the legal issues that they keep hidden about who and what they offer. For example, Its got all the "new" episodes of Dr Who, but the 2nd part of season 7 is missing because of legal issues. If you want to see what they offer you have to sign up - and thy get you because you see 5-6 seasons of a show and think its great - but oh, they don't have anything recent. sorry.

Thats why I have the chromecasts so I can pull vid from some non-standard sources if I want and stream it from my browser.

Comment

Working...
                              X