Laptop drive update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop drive update

My laptop has been lagging here lately. I doubled up the RAM which helped a little bit, but the drive is almost full and I think it's time to upgrade. The current drive is only 320GB and is a 4.5 years old.

I am planning on going with an SSD in some form or function. My question is, Should I go with a SSD only, SSD and HDD combo(it has 2 drive bays available), or a hybrid drive?

Thanks in advance for your advice/opinions.

Without question, ssd+hdd. Boot and progs on ssd, ALL data on hdd.

Once you have the OS installed, go to the standard hdd and create a folder with your username, then follow this guide. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7

Doing this, I'm under 50Gigs utilization of a 128gig ssd w/multiple user accounts.
    Last edited by Tx Redneck; 01-31-2014, 08:57 AM.

Comment

OK, I wasn't sure if the SSD's still had the limited write lifespan that everyone talked about a few years ago.

Comment

There is some validity to the lifespan thing, but it's no different than a standard hdd, and by putting the data on the other drive, you effectively reduce the i/o on the ssd.

Comment

On the ssd you won't get the full speed if the laptop is not 6 gb/s sata. I spent extra on the Samsung Pro ssd and wasted money since mine is 3 gb/s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
          2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

If your xfer speed is 300+MB/s,thats practically irrelevant.

Here's a Sammy 840EVO in a Walmart special, Acer lappy. It's a sub-2ghz Celeron w/8gigs of ram.

Comment

But I feel I wasted money since the pro is 500+mbps and I see 300

2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
                OK, I wasn't sure if the SSD's still had the limited write lifespan that everyone talked about a few years ago.
                Non-issue.

I've been hammering my Intel SSDs going on a year now. And Intel SSD toolbox still shows 100% Drive Health 100% Life Remaining. I also have drive indexing turned off and have Firefox cache to RAM to cut down on writes.

I use the SSDs for the OS and a HDDs for storage.

However, I sampled a large capacity hybrid drive and was really impressed with the performance. The only drawback to hybrids is you have to repeatedly open and close files that you want to be quick at the onset. It has to learn which programs you use on a regular basis. When you fire it up out of the box, it's god awful slow like a standard 5400rpm drive.

Comment

Originally posted by fordracing19 View Post
                  But I feel I wasted money since the pro is 500+mbps and I see 300

PC Matic OverDrive is a diagnostic tool used by our Customer Support team to assist customers.

Click rankings to see the xfer on that Evo.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                    http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec...report=Summary

Click rankings to see the xfer on that Evo.
                    Why is mine slow?
                    2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

On the ssd you won't get the full speed if the laptop is not 6 gb/s sata. I spent extra on the Samsung Pro ssd and wasted money since mine is 3 gb/s.

Correct.

[IMG].jpg[/IMG]

The saturation point on Sata 3.0G/s is around 300 MB/s, so what you're seeing is normal.

Comment

I just went from 4GB to 8GB RAM this week. When asking about the SSD lifespan, it was in relation to it being the only drive in the laptop. Most likely I'll just do a SSD and HDD combo since the computer has the space for both.

Comment

Working...
                          X