Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network shares HALP!

Calling all networking/ITsmart guys.

I have an issue with network shares that I cannot resolve. I have 2 drives, shared at the root level(lazy, I know) that can be browsed and accessed by other pc's/devices on the netqork(Win and *Nix alike), but have completely disappeared from my WD Live TV player. Skifta too for that matter, but can be accessed by ES File Explorer.

The drives are in a 7 Ultimate x64 machine behind a 5 port gig switch, connected to a router(Vz issued for Fios).

I've removed the shares, recreated them, reset the networking portion of the WD box, removed the firewall, placed the host pc in dmz, forwarded ports, you name it.

I've thrown every suggestion I could find on Ma Goog at it, all to no avail. The ONLY thing I haven't done is reinstall Win(REALLY DON'T want to either) to try to resolve this.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
    Bryan

I like my suggestion on facebook

Comment

There's a reason I didn't tag you...

Comment

Does the machine with the network shares have a static IP? Sounds like a name resolution problem within your network.

Comment

Do you have another PC to create a share on? Start narrowing down what is working and what is not working. You will see if it is a PC problem or media appliance problem.

Have you patched either lately? Sometimes downloading the latest and greatest code on your media device will fix things.
          WRX

Comment

Any and every OTHER device can see and freely browse the shares, it's only the WD Live TV box that doesn't see the "server" or shares from Network Shares mode.

Then there's this. If I go through the Media Server mode, some content is seen, but not the content I want. If I were to go that route, I'd have to relocate almost 2TB of content and Plex will have to reindex and re-transcode and at that point, it's not worth the effort. If that's what it comes down to, I'll snag an Android stick or Chromecast.

Comment

Originally posted by mustang_revival View Post
              Sometimes downloading the latest and greatest code on your media device will fix things.
              Or break them.
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

This is so freaking frustrating! How can it work as expected, then 12hrs later, not? Nothing changed in that time frame but time.

Comment

Originally posted by mustang_revival View Post
                  Do you have another PC to create a share on? Start narrowing down what is working and what is not working. You will see if it is a PC problem or media appliance problem.

Have you patched either lately? Sometimes downloading the latest and greatest code on your media device will fix things.
                  This would be my first step. See if the WD Live device can see shares on another PC on the network.

Comment

HORY SHEET!!!!! I FIGURED IT OUT!

Find help and how-to articles for Windows operating systems. Get support for Windows and learn about installation, updates, privacy, security and more.

The Client for Microsoft Networks somehow uninstalled itself or something, so I did this.
                    Workstations use Client for Microsoft Networks to access files and devices shared on a network. If the component is disabled or missing, the computer won't be able to see or modify documents stored to other PCs on the network, nor will it be able to send print jobs to shared printers. If an employee removed Client ...

Comment

Nice! The tcpstack does get corrupted from time to time.
                      WRX

Comment

I am ashamed that I missed this.

Comment

Working...
                        X