Best home wireless router less than $250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best home wireless router less than $250

My isp just went to $12.99 per month to lease theirs and $9.99 per month to lease their modem. That really irritates me so I'm looking to buy my own.

I have Grande and have Tivo fwiw.

What's a really good, high quality wireless router?

What's a really good modem?

Asus

Comment

I use a wrt54g, no advice on modem

Comment

Any of the new 802.11ac routers with beam-forming will be a night and day difference over 802.11 b/g/n

Asus and Buffalo are usually at the top of the list in most reviews.

Comment

What is beam forming?

Comment

Originally posted by SMKR View Post
            What is beam forming?
            How beamforming works

Wireless routers (or access points) and wireless adapters that don’t support beamforming broadcast data pretty much equally in all directions. For a mental picture, think of a lamp without a shade as the wireless router: The bulb (transmitter) radiates light (data) in all directions.

Devices that support beamforming focus their signals toward each client, concentrating the data transmission so that more data reaches the targeted device instead of radiating out into the atmosphere. Think of putting a shade on the lamp (the wireless router) to reduce the amount of light (data) radiating in all directions. Now poke holes in the shade, so that concentrated beams of light travel to defined locations (your Wi-Fi clients) in the room

Comment

So is this device a 2 in 1?

Motorola/ARRIS SURfboard SBG6782-AC Modem & WiFi Router - AC1800M

Comment

^Absolutely.

SURFboard SBG6782-AC Modem & Wi-Fi Router

Future-proof your home network with the fastest gateway on the market. This all-in-one device combines a DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem, 802.11AC Wi-Fi, a 4-port Gigabit Ethernet Router and MoCA Networking.

Comment

I use a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 and absolutely love it. It was easy to setup and has all kinds of cool features that even a non-techie can figure out how to use.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2426296,00.asp

Comment

I upgraded to the mid-range Asus not long ago, and I don't have any complaints as of yet. Download speeds tripled from what I was getting with the Netgear router I replaced, and no more issues with the network connection dropping, or lagging Netflix HD movies.

Comment

Get the nighthawk. I just recently upgraded due to WiFi issues, from a WRT54GL running DDWRT.

Night and day difference, jesus, why didn't I upgrade sooner.
                      2009 Chevy Tahoe LTZ

2011 GMC Terrain SLT2

2010 Polaris Ranger RZR S Orange Madness

Ban count: 2

Comment

Working...
                      X