Automatic backup with Win7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic backup with Win7

What are some options for running an automatic backup with Win7 home edition using a NAS as the backup location? I've used NTI Shadow and it works OK, but every once in a while it has an issue which make me worry. I'm basically doing it manually now every couple of weeks. I'm also going to setup a cloud service sometime in case the SHTF. Amazon prime gives you a whopping 5G free and after that they seem high as hell. If it is on the cloud I don't really care how long it takes to get to I just want it there in case the house burns down.

Crashplan.com

Comment

Can't you use the standard windows backup and point to the NAS?

Comment

Originally posted by big_tiger View Post
        Home Edition cuts out a lot of handy networking tools. Like having the option to backup to a NAS. The Pro and Ultimate Editions you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon-k View Post
          Home Edition cuts out a lot of handy networking tools. Like having the option to backup to a NAS. The Pro and Ultimate Editions you can.
          Ahh I always forget about that, since I always buy the highest version.

Googling had me come across SyncBackFree. Might not be what he needs, but someone might.
          SyncBackFree provides great features and benefits at no cost:

• Backup
          • Synchronize: Copy files in both directions
          • Restore backup files easily
          • Email logs
          • Run programs before and after profiles
          • Schedule backups
          • Unicode enabled for non-English filenames
          • Process unlimited filename lengths
          • Simple and Advanced mode
          • Runs on Windows 8, 7, Vista, and XP
          • Extensive Help Documentation & Support
          • Completely Free!

Comment

Originally posted by big_tiger View Post
            Yes. And no 3rd party software needed.

This is the method I use for Windows 7 Home Premium

Sent from phone using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
              Yes. And no 3rd party software needed.

This is the method I use for Windows 7 Home Premium

Sent from phone using Tapatalk 2
              Forgive me for asking if this is a stupid question, but why would you want to create a VHD for a backup location? If one of the main ideas behind having a backup is in case of disk failure then wouldn't the first priority for a backup destination be to physically have the data on a different disk drive?

Comment

I use a home built windows home server 2011 to backup all the machines in the house. install one client and does automated backup, supports bare metal restore, remote file sharing/RDP, media streaming and nas. You cant buy it new any more (I think) so will have to look on ebay, CL, etc
                2013 F150 STX Supercab 5.0L w/3.55 LSD
                1990 GT Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
                  Forgive me for asking if this is a stupid question, but why would you want to create a VHD for a backup location? If one of the main ideas behind having a backup is in case of disk failure then wouldn't the first priority for a backup destination be to physically have the data on a different disk drive?
                  The data on the VHD in this scenario is on the NAS. Whether it's mounted or unmounted.

Your concern would be valid, if you are backing up to a VHD on the same drive.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2
                  Last edited by LS1Goat; 06-22-2014, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Crashplan looks like the winner so far, but it sucks that it cannot backup the NAS if you are running Windows. I like that the software appears to bundle the features for backing up files to a network drive and also to the cloud site. I just wish I could go ahead and throw my media server onto a cloud too if I'm going to start paying for the service.

Comment

WDMyCloud has a fully integrated auto backup suite for Windows. You could solve both problems with a single purchsse. The built in media server is Twonkey.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
                        Crashplan looks like the winner so far, but it sucks that it cannot backup the NAS if you are running Windows. I like that the software appears to bundle the features for backing up files to a network drive and also to the cloud site. I just wish I could go ahead and throw my media server onto a cloud too if I'm going to start paying for the service.
                        I back my media server up to it, granted, it's a desktop with 7tb of space. All my pc's back up to it and a friend out of state too, then it all gets sent off-site to their servers.

Comment

Working...
                        X